2024 Listening Booth
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Was starting to think The Decemberists had given up on their weird stuff to stick with radio friendly fare. So I was delighted by their new offering. Starts a hymnal, finds its way to Wall era Floyd, descends into ambient nonsense, then roars back with ridiculous faux metal. Lots of people will, I suspect hate it (with reason), but it pleases me greatly.

Loving the first two parts of this.
  • 76. Charlie Parr - Little Sun

51XIpIytCFL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

This guy should be right up my alley really.  My mate was into him a few years back, and seemed a bit miffed that I turned down the opportunity to go to a gig.  I tried to get into the albums he lent me and would definitely agree that it sounds like something I should have liked...but I never quite loved any of it.  Having said that, whenever he plays his stuff through the speakers at work apparently I always spin around to ask who it is, so there's clearly something there.

This one is Parr with a full band, which isn't his usual thing - any albums I've heard are mostly just him solo (he's been a stool + guitar/banjo guy for the vast majority of his career).  He's gone for a bigger sound here though, produced by Tucker Martine of [produced lots of albums I like] fame.  I'm still not sure if I was into it or almost into it though.  Will listen again, then probably revisit some of his old albums.  Part of the problem might be that I rarely seem to hear any specific lines to latch onto with his lyrics, so perhaps Parr's a little too dry for my tastes.  Definitely an artist of legit merit though and he sounds good with a band behind him.       

Must listen: Bear Head Lake.
  • 77. Adrianna Lenker - Bright Future (2024)

a2431419636_65

I wonder how many times I've typed 'AOTY' so far in 2024.  Probably loads, possibly none - I've got a shit memory for certain things.  I expect that if I have typed it it was true at the time of writing, but any previous shouts are now wrong thanks to this.  Not only is it my favourite new release of the year, it also contains my favourite track (Sadness as a Gift, which Oli giftwrapped me in the music thread a few months ago).  Admittedly I'm quite keen on lo-fi/demo-ish stuff that sounds like it's been recorded on a tape recorder in a shed or a barn or something (preferrably the latter during a thunderstorm), and I'm already a sentimental sucker for this girl's voice so I was predisposed to like it, but wow it's good.   Give it your undivided attention if you decide to have a listen - multiple stunning tracks await.
  • Elbow - AUDIO VERTIGO

IMG-5510.webp

This fares much better than their last offering. If you like Elbow then there’s not much to dislike here. 3*
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've listened to a new album! Review upcoming. Dante should get interested
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Let me get 2 mins to write it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Let me GET 2 mins to write it. Learn 2 red gud
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    10. Destroy Boys - Open Mouth, Open Heart

NjctOTU1Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

This is Destroy Boys' 3rd album, from 2021, and not their most recent stuff, but it's the first I've heard of them. A good chunky guitar punky sound reminiscent of Sleater-Kinner or early Paramore, and just some good hard fronted female vocals. It's unabashedly retro in its late 90s punk stylings, and all the better for it.
    This is also a rare occasion of the Spotify algorithm working for me, bringing up "Drink" on my discover weekly. I still think it's the best song on the album, and the one I'd advise anyone get to first, but there's plenty of good stuff on this album. I'll definitely be digging more into their catalogue.

A solid [7.5]
  • Love the photo collage. Sounds up my street too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Love the photo collage. Sounds up my street too.

You'll dig it for sure.
  • Caity Baser - Still Learning

81gmUtl47ZL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

This is also right up my street. Utterly chaotic high energy girl pop. Think Shampoo if they were influenced by the female pop stars who have come since they quit - if Shampoo had been able to steal ideas from Xtina, Kesha, and Taylor Swift.

Baser is nuts, in the best way. The songs and genres and styles are all over the place. Opener I’m a Problem is as full-on as Girli at her wildest, whereas Showgirl is a proper piece of dancefloor neo-swing. She raps, she sings, she tells stories, she rants and screams and shouts. She’s brilliant.

This isn’t a breakthrough hit record though. It’s rough, it’s messy, and it meanders a bit in the middle. But it’s bursting with energy and I love it.
  • Destroy Boys are one that keep popping up on my 'what Spotify plays after the albums finished'. Never done an album, so giving it a whirl now.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Ever since I started this my ‘Discover’ has been full of new stuff - definitely a case of the more you put in the more you get out.

That Caity Baser track is a classic example. Never heard of Destroy Boys before - might have to check it out.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Ever since I started this my ‘Discover’ has been full of new stuff - definitely a case of the more you put in the more you get out.

That Caity Baser track is a classic example. Never heard of Destroy Boys before - might have to check it out.

Fully agree with your first sentence. My Discover has been so much more interesting.
  • Oh I've heard of Caity Baser before, Pretty Boys is off the EP Thanks For Nothing, See You Never.
  • That’s the girl. This isn’t her debut, but it’s her ‘biggest’ release yet. Big UK tour to promote it, too.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    You'll dig it for sure.

Destroy Boys gets the old Edge [7] from me. I’d enjoy them live, but doubt I’ll listen to an album again.

It’s exactly the attitude I like, but the tunes aren’t there.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Omni - Souvenir
    Post Punk (2024)

IMG_8023_1296x.jpg
  • 78. Cody Jinks - Change the Game (2024)

CodyJinks.jpg

I've got time for a bit of Jinks but I don't think I've ever listened to any of his albums twice.  He's the epitome of one-and-done goodtimes for this sort of thing imo.  I'd say he bobs around the Garth Brooks zone; catchy hooks, big choruses, safe vocals and fairly basic big crowd pleasing sound, with plenty of ballads thrown into the mix  I bet he puts on a good show and furthermore I bet I'd have a great night if I ever went.  Could I name any of his songs though?  Probably not.  Actually one of these was almost definitely called Change the Game, so scratch that.  

The TLDR for the theme of the first 20 years of his career would've been something like being tougher than tough times while drinking hard, but he's freshly sober so this one's a bit more times were tougher than me but now I'm strong enough not to drink.  Good luck to him - always solid, often as deep as a puddle; sometimes a big bit of country stadium rock just hits the spot.  Just try to suppress the near-constant 'this could've been in Sons of Anarchy' feeling. 

79. Jolie Holland - Haunted Mountain (2023)

Jolie-Holland.jpg

Haven't listened to her for ages (Tidal suggests the last album I bought is now EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD), she always strikes me as someone worth devoting a bit more time to.  This one's a songwriting colab with Big Thief's Buck Meek, with his version of the title track appearing on one of his own albums ("like when Hayes Carll and Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote Drunken Poet's Dream!", said no-one).  Sultry vocals + unusual delivery is the order of the day - she's certainly got a distinctive voice/style (somewhere between Norah Jones and Lucinda Williams).  Strong album from a fascinating woman - check out her back story if you want a good opportunity to bring back the phrase 'well I never'.     

80. The Deep Dark Woods - Changing Faces (2021)

Changing-Faces.jpeg

I was well into this lot for a year or two - I thought The Place I Left Behind was a superb album - then drifted away for one reason or another (neither being that they started to release bad stuff, I just kinda forgot about them).  This one's more of the same, but has a very brief runtime (almost dead on 30 mins).  Until I listened to this I didn't know that Dylan's Seven Curses was based on a traditional song called Anathea, so I got to hear Ryan Boldt's version, then found versions by Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell, which was nice.  A good album but also a pretty a safe one.  I love his voice and the sound of the band though, so after a hiatus that's just what I wanted.
  • 81. Jesse Colin Young - Song For Juli (1973)

ab67616d0000b273b405cad625ea11217871a720

Groovy southern-fried soulrock.  Never heard of him until Tidal served up Ridgetop as an early morning banger today (he was in Youngbloods, apparently).  The rest of the album is a mixture of good and great, but this track was the winner.  One for @Facewon, or I'll eat my hat.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Omni - Souvenir
    Post Punk (2024)

IMG_8023_1296x.jpg

I was going to write about this last night but ended up getting stuck into the album following this. I haven’t really got a clue what Post Punk is as a proviso, but this is a punchy indie rock effort with vocals that seem like they are lifted right from a Metronomy album. The songs are quite simple, short and raw and having listened to this three times now I think I’m down with the post punk thing, even if I don’t think it’s really representative of the genre.

Must listen: Plastic Pyramid (or) Double Negative
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Allie X - Girl With No Face
    Synthpop (2024)

316px-Girl_with_no_face.webp.png

My distraction from the previous. Oh what a distraction! A modern synthpop record with respectful nods to 80’s (and darker alternative 80’s) as well as old-skool electro and even Europop - with Grimes-esque vocals and a little influence to MGMT too. The production is on-point and there are very few misses here. A release that will comfortably sit in my top 10 at the end of the year. Bravo.

Must Listen: Weird World/Off With Her Tits
  • Cheers big ears. I'll give it a crack.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Listened to ELO’s ‘Out of the Blue’ today. We’re day one into an unwelcome 2-day visit from OFSTED and wanted something new, yet familiar. I was six when this came out. I wish I’d been older to marvel in its release.

Not everything hits the mark here - I think the (then) B-side is a bit flimsy but it’s Pop/symphonic rock full of feel good.

Must listen: Standin’ In The Rain
  • 82. Del Tha Funkee Homosapian - The Best of Del

LTI3MTYuanBlZw.jpeg

I'd planned to listen to a proper album having only heard his 90s output, but the forum was in the middle of crapping itself when I was ready to go and I couldn't check the hip hop thread for the recent record rec.  This was good - the familiar stuff caught my ear more than the tracks I hadn't heard, which ofc is the way it goes, but you can't knock that early albums.  Mistadobalina is so good (there's also a weird remix version on here which has to be one of the least remixed remix tracks I've ever heard).  

Good stuff, legit rapper, still need to do another album at some point though.
  • 83. Bob Dylan - The Best of the Bootleg Series (2020)

ab67616d00001e0236e326d454c97d05a2eb409a

The official bootleg series has been going for over 30 years now (17 volumes but I stopped buying them physically at no.12).  Despite my wife's best efforts to stop me I kept quite a few cds out of storage, including all Bob.  I'm about to buy a little HiFi too, so I can actually play CDs again.   

I particularly like the cover of the Self Portrait collection, which was clearly a factory mix-up with Mick McCarthy's effort for the front of his autobiography:

rarecoolstuff-bob-dylan-another-self-portrait-1.jpg

Plenty of these releases have been genuinely wonderful (I-III is an exceptional set, IV is an iconic live snapshot replete with Judas heckle, the Witmark demos are great etc.) but by the time they hit volume 12 you started to get entire discs devoted to alternate takes of one or two tracks, which is a deep dive too far for most.  I've got the 6 disc version of that, which runs just shy of 7hrs, but there's a 18 disc set out there too, which approaches 20hrs - it might focus on a heavenly purple patch but that's a lot of discarded attempts at Like A Rolling Stone.  Bet it's worth a few bob though.  

So this is a Best Of release, with tracks selected solely from the Bootleg releases.  And I can't stop listening to it, it's so well curated.  Even the fact that it kicks off with the two posterkids for 'how the fuck did that not make in onto [album]?!' seems to work.  Oh no, I'm gonna chat about them quickly: one fell on the cutting room floor during the split recordings of the already near-perfect Blood on the Tracks and the other was tossed aside during the meedy Infidels sessions (this is unlikely to trigger Bugul, but he's here in spirit).  Both are excellent, and I expect it'd be double dull to discuss whether they should have made their respective albums.  Here I go anyway: I can see why he left Up to Me off Blood on the Tracks, as despite being what sounds like a deliberate amalgamation of Tangled Up in Blue, You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go and Shelter From the Storm I think it would have been a perfect album closer and would improve what might already be my favourite Dylan album.  Still, I understand the decision - it is up to him after all - because ofc the album absolutely works without it, and bookending it with similar tracks wouldn't be to everyone's taste.  Blind Willie McTell, on the other hand, is immeasurably superior to anything on Infidels and I don't care whether it fits the tone of the record or not - Knopfler should've given Bob a slap and insisted it went on.  There's a legit shout for it being his best ever track (included below.  Shut your eyes and you'll see Big Knopf on the acoustic/visions Bob on the Joanna with a metronome ticking on top - incredible).             

There are 26 other tracks on here too btw, including notably different alternate takes of two of my favourites (Mississippi, which may even benefit from the laid-back slow groove, and Visions of Johanna, which doesn't touch the studio version but it's nice to hear the band attacking it).  

This isn't for everyone obviously.  Even so, I'd recommend it above most of his studio albums for part-time Bobbie dabblers.  

Must listens:

• 84. Okkervil River - Nothing Special

vWk3X_-co8D7hDeVjjsmxXRgAZuIaxwNWSkBykacgc8.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=736430890344cd86403eac4fb57d44eb3a49c176

God I used to love this lot.  Lost Coastlines is probably one of my favourite songs ever, even though it goes on for about a minute too long.  They've released two studio albums since I last bought or heard any so I thought I'd give the most recent one a go.  I wasn't keen unfortunately, much as I tend to like their slower numbers this was a bit of a plodder tbh and I'm struggling to resist the obvious temptation of highlighting the record title, which really does sum it up quite succinctly.  At their best I think they're brilliant but this is multiple rungs down the ladder from something like The Stage Names.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Now that's a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Shout out to Lost Coastlines here too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!