Baldur's Gate 3: It's Party Time! (PC / PS5)
  • Contemplating picking up a 2nd hand or refurb ps5 just for this...

It’s an extraordinary game. Also, PS5 has the other game of the gen…Returnal.
  • I'm gonna hold on until Starfield. BG2 is one of my all time games so I've got serious FOMO right now
  • FFXVI, Returnal, and Baldur's Gate III are a great clutch of PS5 games.

I am happy you're excited for Starfield but Bethesda can miss me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Contemplating picking up a 2nd hand or refurb ps5 just for this...
    It’s an extraordinary game. Also, PS5 has the other game of the gen…Returnal.

This is true.

Mind wipe... start it all over again.
  • Starfield will do gangbusters regardless but I can only imagine the wincing going on at Bethesda HQ over the reaction to this game.
  • Starfield will do gangbusters regardless but I can only imagine the wincing going on at Bethesda HQ over the reaction to this game.

Doubt they care that much - different games, innit. The Dragon Age 4 team at Bioware, however...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don't think it's just Bethesda, there's some reaction on Twitter from devs stating this should be an anomaly and not the norm. I.e. we can't be arsed to do something this good, we will be aiming lower thanks.

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/baldurs-gate-3-should-not-set-the-standard-for-role-playing-games-warns-game-developers-3471538
  • No... must resist...

I just spent money on ttrpgs, I can wait...

I'm not stoked for Starfield ATM, but it'll keep me going til BG3 is released. Maybe.
  • Xalavier is a good lad though, and he's got a decent thesis in his thread (does Twitter even work if you don't have an account any more? Either way, the points are good.) and I think suggesting that other devs can't be arsed is a strange way of looking at it. 

We've seen time and time again how a game can implode in on itself, or a publisher can mishandle resources, and your average punter has such little conception of how games are put together that expecting publishers of similar games like Owlcat or smaller to attain this level of quality just... it's not feasible.

Doubt they care that much - different games, innit. The Dragon Age 4 team at Bioware, however...
    Yeah, sci-fi Vs fantasy is a big enough mix up I guess, even ignoring all the other differences. I dare say they might have been eyeing up more awards beforehand through...

Dragon Age has been dead to me since the first one, tbh. Bloody idiots.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Starfield will do gangbusters regardless but I can only imagine the wincing going on at Bethesda HQ over the reaction to this game.

Yeah, sci-fi Vs fantasy is a big enough mix up I guess, even ignoring all the other differences. I dare say they might have been eyeing up more awards beforehand through...

Dragon Age has been dead to me since the first one, tbh. Bloody idiots.

It's not that. It's action RPG vs CRPG really.

Larian could do a cracking CRPG with a Sci-Fi theme, the Star Trek IP is crying out for it. Imagine assembling your team for the landing party, going on missions, rescues , exploring, making first contact etc to get access to better tech. The Enterprise could take the place of the camp in BG3 and be home to some FTL style space combat
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

@Tempy - can't be arsed was probably too strong, but saying it's an anomaly is then saying what? We carry on as it? We accept that games don't have to get better because your specific experience tells you so. Claiming they had time, and budget, and an existing system and a known IP, is what created this perfect storm is not really an answer... I give you Halo: Infinite, it had all of that and possibly even more money. And the valid response in the thread "It’s perplexing to see a game developer telling consumers not to raise their expectations." nails it for me.
  • The difference between Infinite and BGIII are myriad, it definitely wasn’t a perfect storm for its development. It was beset by numerous restructures and soft reboots.

The only point I care to make is that even if you give something you’re absolutely best and have incredibly talented people around you, it’s possible to fail. It’s good to want better, but the vast majority of developers cannot ever hope to achieve what Larian has managed. They’ll still make good games.

If you disgree, that’s fine. I didn’t come back to get into
    arguments, so i’ll leave it there. I shouldn’t have said anything,
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not an argument it's a discussion
  • Either way I shouldn’t have said anything so I’m just gonna bail on it. Sorry. Can’t be bothered doing the dance. My abd.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely not arguing Tempy, just thinking that it's a bit reductive (of the dev, not you btw) to say this isn't the future, it's a one-off, when systems and games that have been developed have then gone on to improve games overall. I also appreciate it's not going to be the norm for smaller studios but I'd hope that the major players can look at BG3 and take some learnings from it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Anyway, back to the Gate, we can all agree it's bloody good fun :-)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Anyway, back to the Gate, we can all agree it's bloody good fun :-)

Not till I can get my filthy paws on! ;)
  • Finally finished the character creator today and got through the opening cinematic.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Definitely not arguing Tempy, just thinking that it's a bit reductive (of the dev, not you btw) to say this isn't the future, it's a one-off, when systems and games that have been developed have then gone on to improve games overall. I also appreciate it's not going to be the norm for smaller studios but I'd hope that the major players can look at BG3 and take some learnings from it.

I’d argue that ND and Rockstar are so far ahead as to be in a different league to all other mainstream AAAAAAA developers but that’s not stopping other good albeit, slightly less polished games, releasing from everyone else. Gotta know yer limits.
  • I've changed my mind, it's excellent with a pad.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't figure out how to move an object using the pad.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m so slow at this game I think. I’m really taking my time reading stuff, checking every nook and cranny, opening every chest, barrel and box. Found another way down to the underdark but another hasty retreat due to seeing some serious HP on the baddies. Will stick to killing goblins for now.
  • I went full on evil and it's ace.
  • It's taken me a while to realise how good it is to piss around. The combat gets way better when you start experimenting. 
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Did my first runaway tonight. Warped back into an area and immediately instigated combat but with about a dozen enemies. What followed was a tense 30 minutes of running away while using Gale to block the enemy with cloud of daggers. Which also made me realise you can use that spell to destroy ladders and cut off routes for the enemy.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Jesus Christ, the amount of missing that's going on.
  • No need to apologise Boris, it was on me. Just setting boundaries for myself and failing.

It’s amazing how quickly a good fight can turn bad or vice versa with a miss. At level six I am in a fairly reliable party right now, myself as a Sorcerer with the Quicken, Extend and Twin metamagics for lots of flexibility (Quicken is godlike), plus I just found gloves that set me at 18 dexterity which means I am at AC18 so might finally have got that survivability I need. Gale is rocking Lightning Boot and boots giving him Misty Step so that I can reposition easily enough when threatened, and Karlach is my beatstick tank - gone full wolf aspect on her for buffing people targeting enemies next to her, and advantage on stealth checks.

Position four is a rotating cast of characters at present. I’ve just cleared out a big monastery using Lae’zel because it felt narratively appropriate, and it has progressed her story in a fairly big way which had me decide halfway through I probably didn’t want to slaughter the remaining hostilest. As a fighter with action surge and a bunch of utility attacks she’s pretty fucking great, but I intend to keep dipping Shadowheart and Astarion back in. Choosing just four people is hard going!
  • We did the fight that Tempy mentioned on the previous page last night and yeah, got absolutely creamed. Having read the spoiler I made a suggestion regarding that path and left the guys to figure it out. Our second attempt was still really tough and featured a hilarious amount of people people getting yeeted into lava (including three of our party at various times), but we got it done. Cheers, Tempy!

None of us were even remotely prepared for the next fight against a single boss-type enemy, however, and I genuinely have no idea how we managed to win that one. Especially as we'd all missed the trick that would have made the fight sooooo much easier. But hey, we got an achievement for being idiots and doing it the hard way so...

Anyhoo, here's my dual wielding Drow ranger, sadly my wolfie companion hasn't made it into any of my screenshots.

t6ZtZzg.png
  • Both of those fights really raised the bile in my gut. Not proud of some of the things I muttered during either of them. Absolutely incredibly managing the second fight without the mechanic mind, I was getting absolutely ruined during that.

My character is also a Drow, and I think half of the lads on Discord have gone Drow too, haha.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!