Baldur's Gate 3: It's Party Time! (PC / PS5)
  • Well I am and we'll see. I fear it'll have less freedom and be more over-engineered than a game like Oblivion or BG3. I think they've forgot how to do this.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Elite Dangerous does this so well. When you discover a new planet, like actually the first player ever to land there because it tells you so, it's thrilling. The atmosphere of seeing a world nobody has ever seen is quite a thing, especially when the sound design, textures and lighting can be so beautiful. You really feel alone and in VR it can be astonishing. 

I don't think Starfield is going to be that brave but Oblivion and Morrowind attempted it for the tech of the time.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just been playing some of this using my Kishi and Geforce Now. Works absolutely brilliantly. Automatically adapts to controller etc. Great to know if I want to do the odd bit while lounging in the garden etc.

If it ever stops raining.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Just been playing some of this using my Kishi and Geforce Now. Works absolutely brilliantly. Automatically adapts to controller etc. Great to know if I want to do the odd bit while lounging in the garden etc.

If it ever stops raining.

You took the Cornish weather home with you?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • After pootling around in the surprisingly well lit Underdark for a few sessions it really didn't feel like this place deserved it's rep. It's nice, the kinda place you could go camping on a short break, y'know? Just remember to take some pest spray. 

That has all changed and the next area we're spent the last few evenings in is brutal, and yet somehow we're making it through these fights with at least one person left upright to revive those that have fallen. Well, that or we're managing to talk our way into some genuinely brilliant alternatives. 

What a game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah, I've just entered here for the second time and had my first fight (I ran the first time) and boy those...
    Spoiler:

...don't pull their punches. Think I may head back top side and get another level, I found a side quest that looks interesting, so will probably tackle that first.
  • I never actually fought those guys...
  • Found several typos. Game is clearly a rush job.
  • Coming up on the end of Act Two and about 50 odd hours deep now. My party is a lethal machine, that just requires a couple of Potions of Speed to fuel it. I have solved a great many problems by triple casting lightning bolt and fireball on groups of tough enemies. All that tactical flexibility, for what? Nothing beats damage!
  • Can't believe Tempy is a metagamer.
  • Please, metamagic user.
  • Fun realisation about last night. Two of the main companions are voiced by Hollyoaks Alumni.
  • Lol what! I'm so impressed by the quality of the voice acting in this, and just about everything else tbf. 

I think we're about 40 hours in, deep in the second area of Act Two. I've been really enjoying my time with the game, but down here in the dark I've had a series of mini-epiphanies that have elevated my regard for the game from just great to that of an an all-timer. It is wonderful.
  • Yeah, leaving the Underdark and starting Act Two was a really exciting moment because the Nautiloid Crash area and the Underdark complemented each other so well. It's a totally different vibe though, as I am finding the second area a lot more sparse and focussed in a very different way that is interesting. You can definitely feel the difference between the area they spent polishing for three years of early access, versus the the second Act, but I have enjoyed the more straightforward progress especially in the main set piece dungeon I spent upwards of 10 hours in.

That said, I did fuck up one encounter in Act Two which had horrible results - both of my chums who are racing through the game reloaded to not fuck it up. Living with the consequences is interesting though.
  • I think we'll be starting that main dungeon soon. One of our party has already done it in a solo playthrough (the joys of being a teacher during the summer break) and he said he was on it for hours and hours as well. He's keeping all his knowledge close to his chest though, only giving the odd hint here and there, which I do appreciate. 

We haven't had any really bad encounters yet where we've lost companions or had any other horrible results (besides the usual early team wipes), but I think we've all been getting the feeling that might change soon. The atmosphere down here is dripping with malice and oppression and it's only building as we move further in. Love it.
  • Just hit the underdark and still haven't worked out the right party composition for how I play.

Every fight is seat of the pants and the variation of enemy strengths and weaknesses is very well done.

I absolutely know I've missed out on a huge amount of content by making particular decisions at the goblin camp and temple.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just had a character properly die and it was actually really well done how to bring them back.
    Spoiler:

The Underdark continues to impress. Not far off Level 5 and just about managing in every fight I've had so far. Typical tactic is for Shadowheart to cast aid to get some more HP, followed by a Bless on everyone. Karlach goes full on bear and looks for the biggest threat, getting her rage on. Gale supports with Cloud of Daggers, Grease and various missile attacks. My main dude, a ranger picks people off at a distance, he's stupid fast and I also keep a few potions of speed to hand. I'd say I make use of his animal companion but I keep forgetting to summon the bloody thing.
  • Eurogamer review seems to feel things fall apart a bit once the game gets into its final stretch. I'm hoping a fair few of the bugs they cite will have been ironed out by the time (a) it comes out on PS5 and (b) I've managed to play that far.

Sounds like if it ended at Act 1 they'd have given it a full 5/5.
  • The later stages of divinity original sin 2 were also lacking in comparison to the early game
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I've encountered loads of bugs in co-op from the very start of of the game tbh, nothing to sour me to it but they're a bit of an annoyance. 

Still on Act Two in our main co-op playthrough and the last two sessions have been absolutely savage. Three full team wipes last night trying to save some fellers, then tonight we somehow won two ridiculous fights, one of them by far the most unfair feeling fight we've come across yet. If it wasn't for a crazy amount of healing cast at our charge, all the AoE and CC we could muster, plus our bard having the gall to cast Polymorph at the main bad guy and turn him into a sheep - we'd have had an absolute slaughter on our hands. 

Imagine our collective head shaking when we logged out only to see there was a patch that, amongst other fixes, added extra health to the person we were so desperately trying to keep upright. 

This is a take no prisoners beast of a game and I love it to bits.
  • This is a take no prisoners beast of a game and I love it to bits.

Yeah, it's an absolutely superb game. 

I am not sure if, by the end, I'll prefer Original Sin 2 or this. I think I prefer OS2's skill and action systems, replying purely on Action Points as opposed to a set number of skill uses per rest period - BG3 being tied to D&D 5E means that, yeah, my Level 5 Cleric only has x number of Level 1 and 2 slots that she can use per day, with many classes needing short and, often, long rests to recharge skills. That's D&D and I understand why it does that, but it does mean that OS2 feels a bit better for experimentation - yes you can teleport over there, then go invisible, then use telekinesis on that thing to... - in BG3, doing the same thing would be weighted against the cost of using spell slots, and I find myself less likely to do things like talk with animals because I worry about keeping a Level 1 slot for combat utility. In OS2 gimme Pet Pal baby, let's go! Speak with every animal I can find!

That issue, though, is balanced with BG3 excelling and surpassing OS2 in so many other areas, though, especially in dialogue, writing and character work. I adore OS2s Origin Characters, but they really have taken what they learnt from that and dialled it up to Spinal Tap levels here. Even in incidental, non-important NPC dialogue you can feel the love and effort and production values and its just stunning. 

Both games contain a huge amount of player agency and choice, and though i'm not super far in (just done Goblin place looking for a Druid) the amount of paths that were evident (and probably a whole bunch not evident) was completely in line from what I want from a CRPG. I know that I could role a new character and go back there and have it all go completely differently, which is not something I can say about sth like Skyrim, where rolling a new character only really influences the mechanics and progression paths through combat and puzzle spaces - the outcomes and options and world are mostly static otherwise. BG3 really is the ocean-wide ocean-deep counterpart to Bethesda's wide as an ocean deep as a puddle design philosophy and I love it. It's also stunning that Larian have now done it twice in a row (I really like the first Original Sin game and still play it semi-regularly, but while the mechanics and systems were there, the character work wasn't the priority yet). 

Anyway, like I said - there's things about both games I think I prefer over the other, but I'm not too worried. It's essentially me wondering which CRPG GoaT will be GoaTier and that's an amazing problem to have. I adore this fucking game.
  • Eurogamer has given this four stars.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    One thing I'm really loving about this is that there seem to be real choices. The big one to be made, I'm genuinely not sure if I'm being played or not and I can't make the decision. One decision has already got a main character properly killed off.
  • Decisions? I thought this was all about who could roll highest on a D20?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Fuck me the first fight is hard or I’m not paying attention
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That skeleton bastard has disappeared from my camp as well.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You didn't offer him toasted marshmallows.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Absolutely LOVING this awesome game, but all the "as close to D&D in a videogame you can get" comments floating about are a bit daft.

No DM worth their salt would run a game where you piss a battle, walk round a tree and then get party wiped on turn 2.....
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    One thing I'm really loving about this is that there seem to be real choices. The big one to be made, I'm genuinely not sure if I'm being played or not and I can't make the decision. One decision has already got a main character properly killed off.

I’ve got a feeling a decision I made last night is going to come back to haunt me in a future phase. I had a feeling about this character but I couldn’t bring myself to kill them and now I think they gonna cause a load of shit later on.

I also got my first real battering last night. Really need to think about that fight when I attempt it again.

Two attacks per turn for my main dude is nice though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!