Destiny Is Problematic - Let's Make It Better
  • The game is flawed, for sure. Could have been a lot more and there are some very odd/poor design choices in a lot of ways.

I like it a lot still. As a first step, what could come later could be so good

On another note - I didn't know there was a Mad Max game coming out...?!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like Rouj's stuff too.

ROUJ SAVES DESTINY
  • PvP outside of the deathmatch scenario doesn't interest me really. I'd much prefer improvements to the PvE side of things.

I liked Faces idea of the devil walkers lumbering into the field of play rather than being dropped.
  • I think the game should go more down the MMO route while adding more story and putting the lore in the game and not hiding it on an app. The game does have some fantastic lore if you go looking for it but i can require a lot of effort to sort it all. I did find some one on youtube who does lore videos based on in game information and the grimoire here's a link to the channel.
  • That's the one I was on about before Reg.
  • One thing that would have improved the sense of scale and removed some of the sense of repetition would have been to combine the story missions into the patrols.

Each planet would start with with only one drop point, the rest would unlock as you discover that section of the map. As you approach a story mission section Dinklage could do his chatter and you are on, waypoints appear and enemies spawn.

• An issue I have with Destiny is I don't think the art direction is particularly interesting.

It is good, it is functional but it is a long way off iconic. The robot race look like Star Wars battledroids with hats on, the Mars race are actually ripped right out of Warhammer (not sure how they haven't been sued), Evil Moon race look a bit like skinny Gears enemies. Players look like the supporting cast of a future Halo spin off.
    It won't matter for some people but it is quite a big thing for myself.

In comparison to the races created for the Halo series or the Mass Effect Universe Destiny's character design is pretty bland.
  • I question my sanity every time I put this game on. I mean, I've got a load of other decent games that I could play but they're not as moreish as Destiny. I feel like some grubby eater who hides the 4 pack of Wispas from his wife and children until they've gone to bed. Then eats them all, feels sick and has a sudden rush of guilt and self-hate. 

The gunplay is great. The Raids are terrific. The PvP is decent although it doesn't particularly grab me. The endless monotony of bounties, glimmer-farming, item-hunting et al does allow me to listen to music and catch up on podcasts. But it's that soulless part of the game that really has me scratching my head. Why do I do it to myself?

More to the point, why have Bungie done it to us? It surely can't be that hard to come up with:-
    - an additional 50/100 varieties of bounties; some with real challenge - e.g, headshot 2 enemies with one bullet, kill 50 enemies whilst you're in the air etc etc. The same old things are available every day.
    - more 'sudden events' a la Urzok the Hatred, which aren't signposted on some website somewhere but add a real element of danger and randomness to patrols.
    - Increase the amount of strikes by upping the difficulty and enemies in (non-strike) existing levels
    - facilitate in-game organisation of Raids. Why on earth do we have to go to another website to organise raids with randoms? Why do I have to read my grimoire cards on my phone? Why is most of the nuts and bolts only clear if you've been reading Destiny websites? I totally understand Rev's grievances with this part. 
    - Why make the Nightfall the same mission as the Weekly? 
    - Why not have more of those occasions when Patrol's go apeshit as the Hive and Fallen (or others) double/triple in number and have a full on battle? That's pretty immense when you're stuck in the middle of it all kicking off. 

Some of these ideas probably have obvious flaws that I haven't considered but if we're required to jump through the same hoops at least put some effort into occasionally making them cock-ring size. Or something. 

Admittedly, I'm sitting here frustrated that I can't play it as the wife is watching Transcendence.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh Man we could start a whole thread about why Transcendence is not the movie it should be.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Rouj makes everything better. Classy poster, that. Shame he can't win a game of guilty gear without button mashing and haxxor mod sticks

I know you still think about that in the night time when you are alone with your thoughts and it makes me erect.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Ideas while watching Transcendence.

Yep all things that seem blindingly obvious and painfully missing. The weekly nightfall and heroic being the same mission I don't understand at all.  I would love to see all those other things.  They are all improvements to the current set up mind rather than a Deatiny 2.0.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • at no point in the game is there the slightest hint where you get stuff from in order to progress.
    TheDJR wrote:
    Rev, you've been through both Dark Souls games, I'm surprised you're struggling with the mechanics of this. You should've been able to get a ton of shards over a few weeks from doing the things suggested here by others.

Dan, you know that the upgrade path in souls is crystal clear compared to how this runs.

Still 2 pages behind but this is categorically and objectively untrue.

Just a ridiculous statement. The while armour for extra light thing can be worked out relatively easily. With no more of a query and response on the forum than ds. Everything is on screen in game once you know that you need to level your armour not your character.

Press y/triangle to look at the upgrades and you can see every item you need. And if you haven't noticed glimmer and materials appearing on the screen for the single player story I'm not sure what will help.

This game really is nowhere near ds levels of obtuse. It's also not as clever in a lot of the ways ds is. But reading ds players saying this is confusing is fucking ridiculous. I'm sure people have also been complaining about shield colours over the course of these threads. As if no game ever has had colour coded shields.

Anyhoo. Apologies for rantiness, but this particular gripe gives me the shits.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I like doing the raid because of the teamwork. Especially when my teammate dies like a n00b and I have to kill all the enemies like a real hero and a real human bean, to ensure he doesn't get himself killed again like a big pussy cat what thinks he's a Tiger. <3
    Believe!
  • Rofl
  • One thing that would have improved the sense of scale and removed some of the sense of repetition would have been to combine the story missions into the patrols.

Each planet would start with with only one drop point, the rest would unlock as you discover that section of the map. As you approach a story mission section Dinklage could do his chatter and you are on, waypoints appear and enemies spawn.

Agreed. Suspect this comes down to old gen limits. There's so many load points throughout the areas, suspect we won't see that sort of thing until 2.

• I have a strong feeling many of the obvious failings come from cross gen support.

GaryBoldy cards seem the most obvious one.
    The standardised content is limited to the space on a 360 disc.
  • Also, just realised that revel may be referring to combined arms. Re stuff that's timed. That being the big map pvp list with control and clash that only shows up on weekends.
  • Facewon wrote:
    at no point in the game is there the slightest hint where you get stuff from in order to progress.
    TheDJR wrote:
    Rev, you've been through both Dark Souls games, I'm surprised you're struggling with the mechanics of this. You should've been able to get a ton of shards over a few weeks from doing the things suggested here by others.

Dan, you know that the upgrade path in souls is crystal clear compared to how this runs.

Still 2 pages behind but this is categorically and objectively untrue.

Just a ridiculous statement.

Anyhoo. Apologies for rantiness, but this particular gripe gives me the shits.

Its an opinion face. but fair enough.
    in DS your overall level was tied in to the number of souls you had. Simple as that.
    I feel that with destiny, if you are putting time into the 'wrong' part of the game, then it can slow down the upgrade path to stagnation. Its not very clever in the way it tells you either.
    I know what upgrade materials are needed, I'm not that thick mate, but having to go around the houses to get them is more time than i have to spend at the moment. So i end up on pvp most of the time. Simply having to play to hope that I'll upgrade my stuff by drops or play for hours to upgrade ranks is a bit more time than i have.
    It also seems like while things like the VOG are accessible to me, playing them is going to be difficult because I'll need to be carried for later parts in the level because i won't be powerful enough for a level that's unlocked because I've reached a certain level!

I think you've ranted about something im well aware of tbh.
    At the end of the day, its enough to make me play dying light or Driveclub instead , where I'm making progress, or destiny.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I think im going to leave it at that. My game time is limited most of the time, and some of this feels like a grind.
    I love the fundamental mechanics of the game and will probably still blast away on pvp because its so much fun.
    I'll leave you all to sort out the rest.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Totally understand that Rev, if you are time limited then learning that you were levelling something for ages that is not immediately helpful that can be annoying.  Fwiw the lack of instruction and messaging becomes a strength once in the raid, small abstract instructions appear on the screen. And your team have to figure out what to do, it all gets a bit AD&D and I love that.

The worst thing about all this or the biggest problem Bungie have, is that players like Rev are putting a decent amount of time into it and getting to 25, but still not getting the best bits out of the game and become annoyed, ENRAGED you might say.  As Badgers we have to try and help there and nudge them over the last hurdle.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's also a massive instant gratification crossover here - the trappings of this game belie the time investment required for it.
    It's an MMO. Therefore, you can expect to ding up to 32 in a couple of hours. Hell, the speed I hit that level in Titanfall was crazy, and I think there's a bit of mix up in the perception of the game and the actual end result.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    But the time taken to hit th level cap in Titanfall is much longer, isn't it? Not the same as Destiny, sure but I'm pretty sure I had to grind that out too - albeit in a slightly different manner.
  • It definitely suffers from a perception problem, though that's a problem of Bungies own making.

I will say though, that putting time into PvP isnt putting time into the 'wrong' part of the game. There are things Rev could have done that might have progressed him quicker, but he's a couple of games away from Crucible rank 2, which will allow him to buy armour to up his level. That's hardly wasted time, especially since he enjoys the PvP.

Even if he had been in PvE, none of it is really immediately helpful. He still needs to level the Vanguard to buy armour, and he needs to finish The Dark Below content to get the gauntlets. If anything, I'd say playing the bit he enjoys - PvP - is the better route. He might have got a drop, or he might not. Gjallahorn was a RNG drop for me in PvP.

Progression certainly slows in the mid 20's, however you play. I'd say that's a problem Bungie need to address.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    There's also a massive instant gratification crossover here - the trappings of this game belie the time investment required for it.
    It's an MMO. Therefore, you can expect to ding up to 32 in a couple of hours. Hell, the speed I hit that level in Titanfall was crazy, and I think there's a bit of mix up in the perception of the game and the actual end result.

I don't get this perception argument. Regardless of bungie hype language it's had rpg/mmo mentioned since it was a glint in the rumour mill's eye. As soon as I heard that, that tells me time sink. Of course it's grindy. I dunno, it's one of those things I don't get about the gripes.

I agree with all re the mid 20s lull on first builds, and that should be addressed, but a lot of the complaints about being confused about what to do make me wonder if dark souls and the accompanying threads ever happened.

• I don't see why mmo has to mean grinding.
  • In fact Destiny is barely mmo, team based co-op would be more accurate.
  • Mechanically, it's an MMO, it's just an MMO that they gutted.
  • I don't see why mmo has to mean grinding.

Maybe this is my problem as my perception of mmo is going to be constantly having something to level up and always not being Max unless spending a LOT of time.

Obviously the level of gutting and clear missed ops is a surprise and disappointment, but the fundamental day to day levelling and playing same areas isn't a surprise.
  • Here's one for the discussion:

Destiny DLC & Planned Obsolescence: Why Destiny Is Bad: http://youtu.be/DJfYbwr00oA
  • MMO doesn't always mean grind. Guild Wars and planetside were less grindey than Destiny if i remember correctly.

Planetside was really awesome by the way. Huge open world FPS MMO with 3 warring factions, battles of 100's of people to gain territory.

I wish Destiny could do that as well as what it already does, it feels like it was meant too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!