Destiny Is Problematic - Let's Make It Better
  • So Destiny has a deliberate lack of content in order to make more money from DLC and rewards time spent playing over genuine skill.

True.

But, that's true of 90% of games, so let's not discuss it as if it's specific to Destiny.

That's not something we can change, especially those of us who bought the game, that's business modelling.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If Activisions plan was to use a quiet release schedule, this would have dropped in the first half of the year, like Titanfall.

I think that the argument is more that they were always going to release in September, but they presumed for most of the development time that they'd be up against some stiff competition and so worked as hard as they could to create the best game possible. At some point in 2014, someone at Activision looked at the release schedule for September and realised that there wasn't as much competition as expected, so they went down to Bungie and demanded that they rip content out of the game so it could be sold as DLC. The DLC which had been planned and budgeted for was then cancelled. The only thing that's currently unclear is why this was done, I'm going to presume that it's so that the Activision exec who made the decision could use the money saved for coke and hookers.

Is that about right, Chalice?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Oh I see now. I think the complex stuff such as gambling and trading was cut due to the kids maybe getting swamped in depth they don't need or want, better to keep it simple. I also still believe that content was taken out due to the quiet release schedule and reformed as upcoming  DLC, and the rest of the planned DLC merely pushed back some more. Ten year plan, tons of content ready to go, and the ability to shuffle it about all they want - take bits out, add bits in to suit the current market. Sounds legit.
    If there end up being more than the 5 lots of DLC that were written into the leaked contract, then it's possible, just possible, that you may have a point about cutting content. If there are only 5, however, then this is all a load of bollocks.
    Not necessarily true. And I'm being a bit devils advocate here...
    Bungie are getting paid a fixed amount - i think? Didn't Iain mention a figure a while back?
    It is not beyond unbelievable for Bungie to pare back to the bone (granted the game is not exactly pared right back) what the consumer will accept as a £40 slice of entertainment and use some already created assets to fulfil the DLC parts of the contract to maximise profit from that contract.

The above could also explain the fallings out and sackings. Maybe people disagreed with the direction the company was taking.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Djornson wrote:
    So Destiny has a deliberate lack of content in order to make more money from DLC and rewards time spent playing over genuine skill. True. But, that's true of 90% of games, so let's not discuss it as if it's specific to Destiny. That's not something we can change, especially those of us who bought the game, that's business modelling.
    Not really.
    Its more like any business would do, they used as few materials and man hours as possible to fulfil a contract so as to make as much money as possible.
    Which is as you say, just business modelling.
  • That's about the jist of it I reckon. 

The thing is, we were promised all sorts of stuff before the release of Destiny. All those vidocs of Bungie staff saying we'll have this and that in the final game, areas and places, trading, gambling. Actual areas shown ages ago that we're yet to see. What happened to it? What happened to this game? What the hell went so wrong for some, but so fucking right for so many people?

I'm gonna dig out the old Edge preview, one of the first proper previews, and you'll get an idea of the game Bungie were making. It's certainly nothing like the game we finally got.
  • Bungies contract with Activision included a bonus clause dependent on review scores. Why would you rip the game apart to sell as DLC, when you could rake in the money by getting the higher score?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    Yoss, you are coming across as a blinkered fanboy in the davie digi / ubermad mould, and the tone of this destiny debate is not dissimilar to the next gen thred of ultimate embarrassment. Kindly moderate your conduct.

A couple of mild jokes towards Chalice (who has been quite happy to engage in banter with me and who, I'm quite sure, is not taking any of this personally) and somehow I'm creating next gen levels of animosity in here?

Being unconvinced that a games company would rip content out of a basically finished game purely in order to sell it later when there are better explanations for why the issues in Destiny exist (bearing in mind that I've been quite happy to concede the majority of these are issues, albeit not major ones for me), and I'm a blinkered fanboy?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's worth saying, I heard and posted about rumours of Activision meddling in the game and causing key staff to leave back before O'Donnell announced his departure. This was from a source who I'd trust to have some good information.
  • Well this has descended into precisely not what the thread was supposed to be about.

Came into suggest an alternate to numbered levelling but not getting caught up in this shit storm of shit.
  • Imho, given that the game was behind in development, it's entirely possible that finished sections of the game were removed to be used as the DLC, because there was no hope of the originally planned DLC being able to completed in time to meet it's release date. 

The decision to do this (if that's what happened) will probably have been made by Bungie, but it will probably have been based on payment clauses from Activation for completion of milestone deliverables within the development programme.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Was it behind in development? It had an entire extra year beyond the originally planned release, I wasn't aware it was still behind after that.
  • I like my thing where I get told how wrong I am about stuff.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It would be nice to have a few more industry insiders posting on here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My source on the Activision thing is an industry insider. Well, reasonably highly-placed industry journo at least.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It's worth saying, I heard and posted about rumours of Activision meddling in the game and causing key staff to leave back before O'Donnell announced his departure. This was from a source who I'd trust to have some good information.
    I would also guess this has happened.
    Bungie used to be in a pretty unique state, left to create Halo to how they wanted under from what appears to be a relatively relaxed management style form microsoft.
    Bungie wanted out and got what they wanted, unfortunately when you take Activisions money (or other normal businesses) you also take the insecurities, politics, meddling, suggestions, demands, interfering and worry that comes with it. Activision can't take a financial hit like Sony or Microsoft can so they will interfere more than a bigger company.

Anyone who services a client sees these things daily.
  • Well this has descended into precisely not what the thread was supposed to be about. Came into suggest an alternate to numbered levelling but not getting caught up in this shit storm of shit.

Well it's not a shit storm of shit, it's just an interesting discussion with a few people getting a bit OTT. 

Give us your alternatives sir please do. Get this thread back on track. :)
  • Well this has descended into precisely not what the thread was supposed to be about. Came into suggest an alternate to numbered levelling but not getting caught up in this shit storm of shit.

Well it's all my fault *holds hands up*
  • Well this has descended into precisely not what the thread was supposed to be about.
    Nah this is the nub of it. Lack of content is all I hear about this game, over and over again. It's the game's main problem as far as I can make out.
  • Can I throw in a further request for how to make Destiny better which would be to include a proper support class. I loved my Sunbro so much, but it really did feel like a half nod towards something that should have been in the game.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm quite enjoying a read through the grimoire cards on bungie.net right now.  Quite interesting reading about the breakdown of Vex society.  Wish it was in the game in a ME-style codex thing though.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Can I throw in a further request for how to make Destiny better which would be to include a proper support class. I loved my Sunbro so much, but it really did feel like a half nod towards something that should have been in the game.

Defender Titan?

• pantyfire wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    So Destiny has a deliberate lack of content in order to make more money from DLC and rewards time spent playing over genuine skill. True. But, that's true of 90% of games, so let's not discuss it as if it's specific to Destiny. That's not something we can change, especially those of us who bought the game, that's business modelling.
    Not really. Its more like any business would do, they used as few materials and man hours as possible to fulfil a contract so as to make as much money as possible. Which is as you say, just business modelling.

Yeah that's a better way of putting it. 

To address the other points, why does it matter if content was cut of it was always planned as DLC? 

When making a game you want to do 2 things, make as much money as possible from initial sales and make as much money as possible from DLC.

I guess you have to balance what you include originally to achieve the 1st and the 2nd as best as possible.

Anyway we should all stop repeating this bullshit and talk about specific features we would like added to/changed in Destiny.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I'm quite enjoying a read through the grimoire cards on bungie.net right now.  Quite interesting reading about the breakdown of Vex society.  Wish it was in the game in a ME-style codex thing though.

If only you could talk to the Vex
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Perhaps, but I presume that your book also says that Paul McCartney died before the recording of Abbey Road and was replaced by a lookalike.
    I find this "conspiracy nut" line to be fascetious and unhelpful. It is the same line used to shut down argument in a million other fields. Kindly stop drumming on about that. Conspiracies have happened many times in the past, provably, so objecting to something by asserting it alleges a "conspiracy" is a logical fallacy. Videogame companies have cut content planned for release in order to include it in post-release dlc. It is a thing. It is not an unthinkable outrage. Given the pricing of dlc in destiny, and the limited content on release compared to pre-release material from bungie, it is a fair criticism. Yoss, you are coming across as a blinkered fanboy in the davie digi / ubermad mould, and the tone of this destiny debate is not dissimilar to the next gen thred of ultimate embarrassment. Kindly moderate your conduct.

So irony.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Can I throw in a further request for how to make Destiny better which would be to include a proper support class. I loved my Sunbro so much, but it really did feel like a half nod towards something that should have been in the game.
    Defender Titan?

No like a field medic, a real healer/resurrection character, no offensive powers, med packs instead of grenades or something and some sort of super that buffed the rest of the team. 

3 man teams probably make that very difficult to accommodate though.
  • Bungies contract with Activision included a bonus clause dependent on review scores. Why would you rip the game apart to sell as DLC, when you could rake in the money by getting the higher score?
    Quite. People seem to be completely ignoring that contract, which was aired publicly long before launch.

I've no doubt that the game isn't exactly as originally planned, I doubt many are and this one has obviously had a difficult development process. Bobby Kotick in the background taking things out to sell later doesn't make any sense at all, even if it is the sort of idea that gamers on the internet love.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'm quite enjoying a read through the grimoire cards on bungie.net right now.  Quite interesting reading about the breakdown of Vex society.  Wish it was in the game in a ME-style codex thing though.
    If only you could talk to the Vex

Maybe I will.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Not really. Its more like any business would do, they used as few materials and man hours as possible to fulfil a contract so as to make as much money as possible. Which is as you say, just business modelling.
    Yeah that's a better way of putting it.  To address the other points, why does it matter if content was cut of it was always planned as DLC?  When making a game you want to do 2 things, make as much money as possible from initial sales and make as much money as possible from DLC. I guess you have to balance what you include originally to achieve the 1st and the 2nd as best as possible. Anyway we should all stop repeating this bullshit and talk about specific features we would like added to/changed in Destiny.

I hypothesise that we've seen a shift in attitudes in game development since the success of the PS1 and the market it courted.
    I think traditionally we view game creators as people creating games because they love them and want other people to love them, so traditionally devs have through a matter of pride and drive released the absolute best game they could, often heaped in content and busting at the seams.
    But with the increased popularity of the industry comes the big money and big money doesn't like artists, it never has. They are flighty and can't be trusted with huge amounts of money, so there's been a shift in management and business practices towards a more traditional business style.
    The industry still has the idealists and the creatives in it otherwise it couldn't produce anything but its increasingly coming under the influence of big business practices.

Forgive me but I've just finished watching Bitter Lake - I might go and get some found archive footage to accompany this post.
  • Someone mentioned patrol missions and bounties earlier, and the distinct lack of variety. Honestly, how hard can it be to add another couple of hundred waypoints around the maps, maybe into some less visited places? Another couple of hundred bounties to do other than the usual kill this enemy here yet again and get 100 kills without dying which are so perfunctory and boring to do now. 

The Sword of Crota random event thing was cool but pretty limited. You could have little pockets of emergent battles erupting all over the place, maybe even the Vex invading Old Russia as you never see them there. Also, the fucking dropships should be boardable and destructible, if Halo 3 could do it 8 years ago, why can't Destiny do it now?

Switching up enemy spawns and numbers would help keep it from getting too stale too quickly. Patrols are becoming largely pointless.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Big business is the fuck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!