Destiny Is Problematic - Let's Make It Better
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The only truth is this: however good Destiny is, it is totally in spite of Activision's involvement beyond the cash they offered. I look forward to reading the story of how it all went down during development in the next 10 years or so.
    Oh it will be fascinating reading I'm sure. I find the whole idea of Activision pretty much monopolising the console FPS genre with CoD and Destiny to be very interesting, and I'm surprised at people's refusal to believe that such a plan to stint on content on one game, for a time, to maximise on sales of their other baby, would exist. It makes too much sense to me, and I still firmly believe that if Destiny had released alongside another big AAA title, we would have seen one, if not both, DLC expansions on that disc ready to go.
    This madness rests on Bungie/Activision being 100% sure, several months before release, that the most expensive videogame ever made, and a brand new franchise, would turn a profit regardless of how much content they included. That could clearly never have happened, which is why it's conspiracy cobblers of the highest order.
    This isn't right. They don't need to be sure of turning a profit, just that they won't have to compete against stronger, more content-filled offerings from competitors. The point is that, as a monopoliser of the genre, they knew they wouldn't have another big AAA title to compete with and so can establish all sorts of shady business practices. And you know, the big marketing spend was probably enough to scare off potential other releases anyway. A few games were knocked back into this year, originally being earmarked for late 2014 and they also avoided Destiny and COD by doing so. 

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the notion that the FPS genre is a monopoly, would need to look at sales stats which I'm only going to bother with if someone posts them. It's not really that relevant though. They had a product with pedigree that they knew would sell well. They wanted to maximise the value of their content as much as possible through DLC, planned obsolesce, and whatever other triggers they could come up with to push people into paying more. That's your video game industry there. It's quite well-hidden of course. To the extent that people can even deny it's happening, unlike say a freemium iOS game where it's clear as day.

I've done extensive editing on this post.
  • The only truth is this: however good Destiny is, it is totally in spite of Activision's involvement beyond the cash they offered. I look forward to reading the story of how it all went down during development in the next 10 years or so.
    Oh it will be fascinating reading I'm sure. I find the whole idea of Activision pretty much monopolising the console FPS genre with CoD and Destiny to be very interesting, and I'm surprised at people's refusal to believe that such a plan to stint on content on one game, for a time, to maximise on sales of their other baby, would exist. It makes too much sense to me, and I still firmly believe that if Destiny had released alongside another big AAA title, we would have seen one, if not both, DLC expansions on that disc ready to go.
    Forgot to add on the end there that, oh yeah, the content was already on the disc!! Lol.

Yeah, I mean it's not like we had to download a 3 gig fucking patch for the DLC is it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The only truth is this: however good Destiny is, it is totally in spite of Activision's involvement beyond the cash they offered. I look forward to reading the story of how it all went down during development in the next 10 years or so.
    This madness rests on Bungie/Activision being 100% sure, several months before release, that the most expensive videogame ever made, and a brand new franchise, would turn a profit regardless of how much content they included. That could clearly never have happened, which is why it's conspiracy cobblers of the highest order.
    This isn't right. They don't need to be sure of turning a profit, just that they won't have to compete against stronger, more content-filled  offerings from competitors. The point is that, as a monopoliser of the genre, they knew they wouldn't have another big AAA title to compete with and so can establish all sorts of shady business practices.  

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the notion that the FPS genre is a monopoly, would need to look at sales stats which I'm only going to bother with if someone posts them. It's not really that relevant though. They had a product with pedigree that they knew would sell well. They wanted to maximise the value of their content as much as possible through DLC, planned obsolesce, and whatever other triggers they could come up with to push people into paying more. That's your video game industry there. It's quite well-hidden of course. To the extent that people can even deny it's happening, unlike say a freemium iOS game where it's clear as day.

If this is true, why didn't they plan it that way in the first place as opposed to suddenly having this epiphany shortly before the game went on sale and ripping large chunks out of it?
  • Also, Battlefield Hardline was originally slated for an October release. So surely they were working off the assumption that there would be competition?

Or do we believe that on July 22, the call came down from our lord and savior Bobby Kotick to rip chunks out of the game and sell it as DLC instead because they no longer had any competition?
  • Yeah I don't think that happened. Seems like a sloppy and expensive way of managing that process. "Yeah let's take these maps out and these guns and this flying emu" (I haven't played Destiny much, I assume I'm on the right lines). "If we do that, then this bit doesn't make sense and this level will need to be redone so the player can get this trifle-firing sub machine gun which he needs for this boss that we're leaving in and we'll need to put something else in that map instead of the trifle gun to make it worth playing". It would be a clusterfuck or omnishambles (or perhaps even, a hot mess) of do-overs, getting voice artists back in, getting back the 20 level artists you sacked a couple of weeks ago etc 

Stuff like this is all planned. With Destiny, and its long development, maybe that happened later in the process than with some games, maybe that affected it.
  • There were big tremors in the development of Destiny, it's fairly common knowledge there were disagreements; major people leaving, the sacking of Marty O'donnell etc. I would say all these radical changes and cut content happened in the last year of development when someone with sway decided to rape the original game and turn it into a cash cow.

I'm not entirely sure there is anyone left at Bungie high enough to argue. The passion might still be there, but the money comes first.
  • There's a large amount of ground between "They carved up a full and complete game at the 11th hour to fleece you" and "The content of the game is perfect and structured in such a way as to only maximise the enjoyment of the player". Surely there's no one in either of the extreme camps. It's just a question of the extent to which they considered things and approached DLC and stuff. 

I mean, does anyone think that Activision dropped a brand new FPS from devs with a huge following in the FPS scene, spent a fortune on advertising it, spent a fortune on developing it and released it two months ahead of a refreshed version of its own tentpole FPS franchise without thinking about how one might affect sales of the other?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I still have a lot of respect for Jason Jones.
  • It seems far, far more likely to me that mass appeal was the reason for the cuts, not holding back content. Why cut trading or gambling? Why cut the role of factions out almost entirely, necessitating a rebrand of PvP from Faction Wars to Crucible? Why drop drop public chat (only to bring it back for free later on)
  • Because of kids mate. kids are the biggest player base, hence the ESRB rating of 'teen' for Destiny. They want them to understand the game so they play it more. Cutting out gambling and trading simplifies the experience so everyone can play. Factions and stuff would be too confusing for our little ones, so get rid. It also decreases how much the game can be exploited.

When you think about it, Destiny is the game any dullard can play, just point and shoot. No need to think.
  • There's no shortage of reasons why a game may have been fucked around with.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There were big tremors in the development of Destiny, it's fairly common knowledge there were disagreements; major people leaving, the sacking of Marty O'donnell etc. I would say all these radical changes and cut content happened in the last year of development when someone with sway decided to rape the original game and turn it into a cash cow.

I'm not entirely sure there is anyone left at Bungie high enough to argue. The passion might still be there, but the money comes first.

It was always going to be a cash cow. Remember the leaked contract? Destiny plus 2 lots of DLC then comet and two more lots of DLC? This has all been carefully planned and agreed for years, another reason why it seems highly unlikely that they'd cut something to sell it later. They were always going to sell something later, it was budgeted for, planned and prepared (partially by putting some areas on the disc). Cutting stuff to sell it later just doesn't make any sense. Did Activision suddenly cut the already agreed budget at the same time? If not, what was the point?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Because of kids mate. kids are the biggest player base, hence the ESRB rating of 'teen' for Destiny. They want them to understand the game so they play it more. Cutting out gambling and trading simplifies the experience so everyone can play. Factions and stuff would be too confusing for our little ones, so get rid. It also decreases how much the game can be exploited.

When you think about it, Destiny is the game any dullard can play, just point and shoot. No need to think.

That's an odd argument considering the fact that one of the major criticisms levelled at Destiny is how poorly explained the various systems are and how much of a pain it is to get to a level where you can raid.
  • It would be better if you watched the video Yoss, so at least you'd know the argument that you're disagreeing with.
  • He was trolling with that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    It would be better if you watched the video Yoss, so at least you'd know the argument that you're disagreeing with.

At work, no time today. I may watch it this evening but I'll likely be too busy playing Destiny. If it were in text form, I'd read it now, but I rarely have time to watch videos.

Chalice has made the argument about ripping content out of the game before, that's what I'm mainly disagreeing with.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Because of kids mate. kids are the biggest player base, hence the ESRB rating of 'teen' for Destiny. They want them to understand the game so they play it more. Cutting out gambling and trading simplifies the experience so everyone can play. Factions and stuff would be too confusing for our little ones, so get rid. It also decreases how much the game can be exploited. When you think about it, Destiny is the game any dullard can play, just point and shoot. No need to think.
    That's an odd argument considering the fact that one of the major criticisms levelled at Destiny is how poorly explained the various systems are and how much of a pain it is to get to a level where you can raid.

It doesn't stop you from progressing in the game though. No matter what you do in Destiny, you'll get there in the end. Kids have all the time in the world to get there, so all the myriad upgrade materials mean little to them.
  • Because of kids mate. kids are the biggest player base, hence the ESRB rating of 'teen' for Destiny. They want them to understand the game so they play it more. Cutting out gambling and trading simplifies the experience so everyone can play. Factions and stuff would be too confusing for our little ones, so get rid. It also decreases how much the game can be exploited. When you think about it, Destiny is the game any dullard can play, just point and shoot. No need to think.

Sooo, you're now agreeing with me?
  • Eh? Didn't know I was disagreeing?
  • I was disagreeing with you when you said content was cut to resell. I said it was cut for mass appeal. Which you then agreed with.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It doesn't stop you from progressing in the game though. No matter what you do in Destiny, you'll get there in the end.

What triple AAA release in the last ten years has been different to this? All modern games want you to progress, not just Destiny.
  • Oh I see now. I think the complex stuff such as gambling and trading was cut due to the kids maybe getting swamped in depth they don't need or want, better to keep it simple. I also still believe that content was taken out due to the quiet release schedule and reformed as upcoming  DLC, and the rest of the planned DLC merely pushed back some more.

Ten year plan, tons of content ready to go, and the ability to shuffle it about all they want - take bits out, add bits in to suit the current market.

Sounds legit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It doesn't stop you from progressing in the game though. No matter what you do in Destiny, you'll get there in the end.
    What triple AAA release in the last ten years has been different to this? All modern games want you to progress, not just Destiny.

Um, Dark Souls for example?? It takes actual skill to get through that game. It's not a game that if you play long enough, you'll eventually get everything. It's not how long you play, it's how well you play. 

Like all the best games come on Yoss.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh I see now. I think the complex stuff such as gambling and trading was cut due to the kids maybe getting swamped in depth they don't need or want, better to keep it simple. I also still believe that content was taken out due to the quiet release schedule and reformed as upcoming  DLC, and the rest of the planned DLC merely pushed back some more. Ten year plan, tons of content ready to go, and the ability to shuffle it about all they want - take bits out, add bits in to suit the current market. Sounds legit.

If there end up being more than the 5 lots of DLC that were written into the leaked contract, then it's possible, just possible, that you may have a point about cutting content. If there are only 5, however, then this is all a load of bollocks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Um, Dark Souls for example?? It takes actual skill to get through that game. It's not a game that if you play long enough, you'll eventually get everything. It's not how long you play, it's how well you play.  Like all the best games come on Yoss.

Fair enough, I forgot Dark Souls (although I'm not sure if Demon's was really a triple-A, or a title aimed at a niche which found wider appeal, but that's by-the-by), but the fact is, that's a bit of an aberration, most modern AAA games, especially those from Western devs, allow you to progress no matter what.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Oh I see now. I think the complex stuff such as gambling and trading was cut due to the kids maybe getting swamped in depth they don't need or want, better to keep it simple. I also still believe that content was taken out due to the quiet release schedule and reformed as upcoming  DLC, and the rest of the planned DLC merely pushed back some more. Ten year plan, tons of content ready to go, and the ability to shuffle it about all they want - take bits out, add bits in to suit the current market. Sounds legit.

This is the reality of the situation. You only have to look at how Blizzard have handled WoW to see where developers are trying to min-max casual/hardcore functionality. The simple reality is (especially in the console market) that players of a less intense nature (also known as casuals) far surpass the amount of more dedicated players (hardcores) out there. 

We simply can't assume that the most niche, unchallenged ideas will make it through development anymore. As when all is said and done, it's a business the top tier goons want to make moneyz.
  • Oh I see now. I think the complex stuff such as gambling and trading was cut due to the kids maybe getting swamped in depth they don't need or want, better to keep it simple. I also still believe that content was taken out due to the quiet release schedule and reformed as upcoming  DLC, and the rest of the planned DLC merely pushed back some more. Ten year plan, tons of content ready to go, and the ability to shuffle it about all they want - take bits out, add bits in to suit the current market. Sounds legit.

I don't really buy this quiet release schedule thing though. It still was up against Far Cry, Master Chief Collection, Borderlands and the heavily Microsoft backed Sunset Overdrive in terms of shooters, and was originally up against Battlefield which was only delayed at the end of July, not to mention CoD. Then there was the looming spectre of GTA Next Gen.

Plus stuff like Evil Within, Alien Isolation, Middle Earth, Assassins Creed Unity and Rogue, the FIFA juggernaut (and I guess Madden in the States) and various older titles that would have been bought by people only picking up the new consoles that Christmas.

I agree with everything else you said though, because that comes down to an execs idea of mass appeal.
  • If you check the release schedule of September 2014 you'll see there is literally nothing else out that month that could remotely challenge Destiny. The only other title I can see worth noting is Mordor. That says it all in my book: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_video_gaming
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Perhaps, but I presume that your book also says that Paul McCartney died before the recording of Abbey Road and was replaced by a lookalike.
  • If you check the release schedule of September 2014 you'll see there is literally nothing else out that month that could remotely challenge Destiny. The only other title I can see worth noting is Mordor. That says it all in my book:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_video_gaming

You don't think they they take account of christmas buyers then?

If Activisions plan was to use a quiet release schedule, this would have dropped in the first half of the year, like Titanfall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!