Top Ten 16 Bit (that isn't Mario or Sonic) ((Or anything from the good old days Pre N64/PS1))
  • cockbeard wrote:
    First Fifa you could run away from ref, but it wasn't strictly top down so I hope you mean Dino Dini's Super Kick Off Have since re read your post and being as you mention two Dino Dini games already it might well not be super kick off

Found it:

Chase the wef: 8mins 05secs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    was markos really on the magedrive can't wait until new house is sorted and I can start checking out old stuff again

Yup..I have the cart...there could have been an enhanced version on the Mega CD though..

edit: yes there was:
    sega-mega-cd-markos-magic-football.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I remember the intro from Pugsy blowing my mind at the time. I think it involved a pixelated rocket flying away from the screen but it was like FMV on my md at a time when my SNES owning friends were raving about Donkey Kong Country.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    I remember the intro from Pugsy blowing my mind at the time. I think it involved a pixelated rocket flying away from the screen but it was like FMV on my md at a time when my SNES owning friends were raving about Donkey Kong Country.

Was most impressive:

as was this:

The FMV dunk between quarters in NBA Jam was another mind boggler.  Stuff like that was so impressive at the time due to technical limitations/what you expected to be possible.  I remember watching the the first few minutes of Big Trouble in Little China with Retroking1981 when it first came out on dvd, and one of our mates commented on how horrible the simplistic rendered FMV style segues between menus were.  Retro correctly pointed out that we would have spent 20 hours trying to watch that five second snippet of footage if we knew it was in the ending sequence of a 16-bit game in the early 90s.
  • Omg no one has mentioned Lotus Turbo Challenge or Jaguar XJ220 yet.

Rather unsuprisingly no one has mentioned Big Nose the Caveman either but it was my favourite game for ages.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ayrton Senna Super Monaco GP on Megadrive was a favourite...forgot about that one. There was a short but sweet arcade mode but it was backed up with a full season mode.

Forgot about Super SWIV on SNES too - a bit of a workmanlike shmup - but you could play as jeep or helicopter and it made a big difference - I put serious hours into that one.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Those passed me by Live, but Senna was amazing, thinking about Amstrad got Green Beret floating in my head again, really enjoyed that game. Also Top Gun had great two player split screen mode
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ooh ooh.
    After Burner , that game was immensely cool.
  • Green Beret is a great call. Possibly one of my favourite game sound tracks too. Hard as nails though, which makes some of those speed runs on YouTube even more impressive.

Moot, that Red Zone intro still looks great today, some fantastic art direction right there.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It's all about playing the GB version of Contra. Sure, the SNES version was harder than diamond but the GB version doesn't let you duck and you only have 4 colours to distinguish between all the shit going on.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Kick Off 2/3 were in some ways the most obnoxious gaming design ever. Utterly unplayable to someone playing for the first time. Yet to two evenly matched experienced players it was insanely fun and tactical. 

Really paved the way for sensible soccer and Striker.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Wait.... Has anyone mentioned Starfox yet for SNES?!?! If not, WHY NOT?! Amazing game. How could I forget to mention it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Shatterhand on NES, the western version of Solbrain, is too awesome to be left out of any retro discuss. Can't be arsed forming new thoughts on it so I'm copy pasting from another thread.

In Solbrain, getting different power-ups would change the color of your Power Ranger armor. That makes sense. In Shatterhand, power-ups change the color of your sleeveless shirt. A shirt that is sleeveless because you punched the fucking arms out of it while trying to put it on, the same as all your other tops, because you're so fucking badass. The cut scene at the start of Solbrain has been swapped for a three shot attract mode.

1. Man in sleeveless top.
    2. Robot firing a big gun.
    3. Man in sleeveless top punching robot.

Fuck me. That's an attract mode, a strategy guide, and every three act story ever told in 10 seconds of solid awesome. How do you deal with enemies that shoot you when you've only brought fists? The answer is glaringly obvious. You punch the fuckimg bullets because you're so fucking badass.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm guessing the no Mario/Sonic was logically extended to all platform mascots
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • BC Kid?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wait.... Has anyone mentioned Starfox yet for SNES?!?! If not, WHY NOT?! Amazing game. How could I forget to mention it.

It was in my list of ten! ;)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Mine to, bettered by the 64 sequel but that doesn't exist yet in this thread.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Fuck I'm late to this party, lots of great games here. Davy your snes list is awesome.

Scrolling though I didn't see any mention of Cybernator/Valken, that game was delicious; chunky, solid 16bit shooting with an anime space opera story and boosh boosh boosh explosions. Fantastic. Lovely stuff.

NES - Bucky O'hare, awesome mega man style game with a soundtrack that's still my go-to when the chip tune itch hits. Think it was made by the guys who ended up forming treasure, could be wrong though.

Shots out to escape from the planet of the robot monsters for co-op.
  • FIFA International Soccer was aces, back in the day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Fuck I'm late to this party, lots of great games here. Davy your snes list is awesome. Scrolling though I didn't see any mention of Cybernator/Valken, that game was delicious; chunky, solid 16bit shooting with an anime space opera story and boosh boosh boosh explosions. Fantastic. Lovely stuff. 
    eau contra ire....my SNES list mentioned Cybernator...
  • !!!

I missed loads of the thread and skimmed pretty fast.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I assume it's not been mentioned but the survivalist thread and my old Amstrad got me thinking of an early strategy game called Armageddon Man, you had to monitor international relations and could place a limited supply of surveillance satellite and also ones that could shoot down missiles. You got a map and stickers so you could stay abreast of the action. It was pretty deep for the late eighties or whenever it was
  • You're remembering it wrong. It was called Armour Geddon and it was on the Amiga. And it's quite different to what you described.
  • It took me so long to find Valken since I didn't know it had a different name over here. It had that problem where you could essentially upgrade the 'wrong' weapon for each level but I really liked it.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Repton_%28Superior_Software%29_cover.jpg
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • I loved that game.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Chief wrote:
    FIFA International Soccer was aces, back in the day.

ISS broke that mould though. I mentioned World Cup Striker which for me edged it as it was so much more fast paced. 

Never played NHLPA on the MD but apparently it was very good
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • If we're going older then Midnight Resistance on C64 was awesome.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Unirally yet.
  • Unirally. There you go!

I liked Stunt Race FX too. 

Vortex was pretty decent.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

ahem....Unirally is in my SNES list. Honestly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!