Top Ten 16 Bit (that isn't Mario or Sonic) ((Or anything from the good old days Pre N64/PS1))
  • This was my favourite controller for MD and SNES.
    33975801.jpg
  • What's the switch in the middle for?  Turbo?  I remember pads having them, but can't recall what they were for.
  • Love how some peoples lists are slanted towards JRPGs or towards platformers.

Love how much effort some have gone to in their lists :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • @Moot
    Auto
    Same thing really, iirc you held one a button down then flicked the switch, never used it.

The shoulder buttons had a healthy clunk to them and it gave you the better button placement of the SNES. looking at that d pad now it would probably be too small for adult hands.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    More of a Sega aficionado but here goes: Streets of Rage 2 Gunstar Heroes Shining Force 2 Phantasy Star IV Toejam and Earl Street Fighter 2 The Immortal General Chaos Might and Magic II Aladdin
    I suspect ToeJam & Earl might well frustrate a modern player, if my memory serves me correct... In fact, why not spin it, and see how you get on. Or someone add it to that retro thread, if it's not been done already.

Me and the girlfriend had a bang on it about a year ago and it's still supremely entertaining, however it may not be everyones bag. I can't really think of much like it.
  • I suspect ToeJam & Earl might well frustrate a modern player, if my memory serves me correct... In fact, why not spin it, and see how you get on. Or someone add it to that retro thread, if it's not been done already.

There's a wildcard week coming up at the beginning of June.  I'd happily add TJ&E 1&2.  As much as I loved the original I consider the sequel one of the great 16-bit platformers - it's original, it's polished, there's tonnes to do and it works really well as a simultaneous two player game.
  • I never got what I was supposed to do in T&J1. 2 is one of my favourite games of the generation. My brother still plays the bass line as default when sound checking or warming up on the bass guitar, I still find myself humming it every now and again.
  • The shaka boom clap game was great.
  • Ghost cows FTW!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Ok I'll download ToeJam and Earl tomorrow if I get the chance. Just spent about 5 hours watching my gf get madder and madder at Super Mario World. 

I also noted a severe sound issue with my Raspberry Pi and later found out that I'd overclocked it too high. So If you lot are doing the same only overclock it to 900mhz (medium setting). Solved the problem straight away.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • I bought a Japanese TJ and E recently having somehow missed it when I was a kid, I expected to love it, but found it has nowhere near as much charm as some of my favs.
  • Didn't see you wanted C64 recommendations:
    Skool Daze
    Impossible Mission
    Hover Bover
    Blue Max
    Little Computer People
    Zak Mcraken and the alien mind benders
    Maniac Mansion
    Pirates
    Last Ninja 2
    Creatures 2
    Neuromancer
    Spy vs Spy

A few decent ones there to get you going.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • this was and is the best snes pad. Individual semi and auto fire buttons and closer face buttons for easier transition. Also the Dpad was flawless for a third party pad. All pads with that circular bit like a MD were horrible for diagonals. 

6879871566_9dd584f20a_z.jpg
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A bit niche, but some GC games would benefit from one of these:

hori-vs-snes-1.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That Hori GC pad is hawt and to this day I regret never picking one up when I had the chance.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Pretty sure they've all been covered, but NBA Jam, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, LttP, Super Metroid, SF2Turbo, Super Tennis.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Sim City on the Snes is probably the only one I haven't seen mentioned that I'd add in to a top 10 list. It'd probably be scraping in though. Maybe.
  • I have a PS3 controller plugged in right now and Desert Strike works well with analogue sticks. I have noticed one thing though. Megadrive games confuse the hell out of me using the 4 button configuration on a DS3. I'm almost tempted to pick up a megadrive clone to stop the mind fuck.

• Megalomania on the Megadrive was a pretty good God sim (I remember there being god who used to say 'No, I dont think so' in an incredibly drawn out camp accent when asking to team up. I never played Populous though so I have nothing to compare it against.

Noob question: I guess the roms output via the Pi's HDMI but what resolution does it do it at? Does it upscale or is this defendant on the quality of the roms you play?

I have not done much emulation (other than the dodgy Dreamsnes/megadrive emlations that ran on the Dreamcast back in the day) but sounds like an interesting project.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It depends on the emulator you use and the setting you pick within it. I used to love one of the filters (super eagle?) on the emus I used to use 'cause it upscaled cartoon style graphics absolutely spectacularly.
  • In addition, emus that run 3D games (e.g. PSX) usually let you run at whatever resolution your kit can handle and add the niceties we expect these days like texture filtering and perspective correction.

I was playing Mario 64 when it was current in practically HD (1024x768) thanks to UltraHLE.
  • I'm not saying these are the best. Or my favourites. But I enjoyed what I played of these games from the MegaDrive. I never owned a SNES growing up so this is my focus.

1. Elemental Master. Amazing soundtrack, fun shooting/vertical shmup with an on-foot character.

2. Phantom 2040. I think this was a Metroidvania type game. Never really got far through it as I got lost, but I enjoyed it. Might've bought it after the Billy Zane film.

3. Mortal Kombat 3. But only playing as Sub Zero. Also, fuck Ultimate MK3. That was broken in terms of difficulty settings. Y. A. B. B. A. D. A. B. B. A. D. U. U. ..... SMOKE

4. Brian Lara's Cricket. Best tactic was spin-bouncers. Wicket every time.

5. Zero Tolerance. Shotgun collected. God i loved this game, first FPS I ever completed (with cheats).

Obviously I could mention plenty of other classics (Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Speedball, Shinobi etc) but I wanted to put down a few non-first party types.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh yeah, Super International Cricket.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • the industrial music on sim city was amazing

Rock n roll racing was good, not top ten but worth a play

Also props to whoever up there mentioned bomberman. Shame on me forgetting that.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

Yeah, I liked that. Was good fun, and had great music.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not 16bit, but seeing as we are posting pics of controllers... some games the PS1 used this weird thing which i've got 3 of just for playing Wipeout 2097 -

Namco_neGcon_controller_-_Twisted.jpg

You steer using the analogue twist, it's absolutely fantastic.

Allowed people to get times like this -

• Eric wrote:
    Megalomania on the Megadrive was a pretty good God sim (I remember there being god who used to say 'No, I dont think so' in an incredibly drawn out camp accent when asking to team up. I never played Populous though so I have nothing to compare it against. Noob question: I guess the roms output via the Pi's HDMI but what resolution does it do it at? Does it upscale or is this defendant on the quality of the roms you play? I have not done much emulation (other than the dodgy Dreamsnes/megadrive emlations that ran on the Dreamcast back in the day) but sounds like an interesting project.

I've not really paid much attention but it says 720p in the top corner so I guess it upscales it. I also watched a youtube video and the guy went on about interlacing.... which I remember hearing about during the PS3 next gen cold war between Sony and Xbox. Either way it looks good and sounds ok. The sound can suffer from slow down from time to time.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a couple of those twisty controllers for PS1. I picked them up cheap simply because I could with no knowledge as to what they were compatible with. I have read they work with Tempest X3.

I actually have 2 grey PS1s, a system link cable and doubles of Wipeout 2097 (I think) and R4 which I think works with them too - can't be arsed getting it all set up as it involves lugging TVs about.

If only there were some local retro gaming events organised I could get a chance to try all this stuff out. No doubt I'd be centre of attention with that setup and my 2 GCs with BB adaptors running 1080 or MKDD in LAN mode......
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you can get an Amstrad CPC464 emulator going then its version of Jet Set Willy 2 is definitive. It's not really a sequel, more a redux. Bugs are removed and it has some extra rooms in the cellar and a whole new section - there are extra levels in space - if you get onto the roof you find a rocket which launches and takes up into a mothership to explore. One of the screens in that is a map room that builds up as you discover rooms in the house. As the map grows it is usable as a series of platforms and you can use it to reach the top of the screen to get one of the collectables - I though that was a pretty nifty idea.

I had that game mapped out on a piece of A2....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!