Top Ten 16 Bit (that isn't Mario or Sonic) ((Or anything from the good old days Pre N64/PS1))
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:

Different games, same titles:

Robocop Vs Terminator: Best on MD
    Jurassic Park: Best on SNES
    Aladdin: Best on MD

Shadowrun: No idea, both supposedly great
    TNMT: Tournament Fighters: Best on SNES
    The Terminator: Best on MD
    Batman Returns: Best on SNES
    The Adventures of Batman & Robin: Best on SNES, but only because of the insane difficulty of the MD one.
    Sparkster: Never played either properly.
    Pirates of Dark Water: Always thought both looked great.

any more?

Some of these (definitely the bolded) are different games completely and thus not better on one than the other. Thats why I put Aladdin in both individual console lists.

They're all completely different; doesn't mean one can't be better than t'other.
  • True some of them are better on Amiga but the OP only asked for SNES/MD

Until the end, where I'm reading it as "well, anything that can be emulated on my Pi really".
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:

They're all completely different; doesn't mean one can't be better than t'other.

But that way your dismissing a good game.

Using Aladdin as the classic example, its like comparing Sonic to Sonic 2, its personal preference but both would come highly recommended.

Thats why for different games with the same titles as you put it I treated them as exactly that - different games.

Mutiformat games should only be compared if they are the same game.

Desert Strike is a fantastic game but only a moron would play the SNES one over the MD one given the choice.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

• AJ wrote:
    True some of them are better on Amiga but the OP only asked for SNES/MD

Until the end, where I'm reading it as "well, anything that can be emulated on my Pi really".

Good point, there's a a fair few on the Amiga that were better to be fair, Cannon Fodder being the big stand out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Speaking of the Amiga, Chaos Engine was great fun in the day, don't know if it still stands up now.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    If your talking Amiga, Turrican II is the best game ever and the best music.

Trufax.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:

Mutiformat games should only be compared if they are the same game.

I get your point, but for the purposes of an off-the-cuff head to head based on which is the better game out of two, I thought it might be fun.
  • I'm just championing the generation tbh.

2 good Aladdin games beats one.

You know my whole view on the xbox/ps multiformat situation, depressing.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Outside SF, MK nad KI what were the other decent fighters on 16Bit?

The only others I can think of were a bit shit: Primal Rage, Rise of the Robots, Clayfighter...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Turtles Tournament Fighters on SNES was very good. Eternal Champions on Mega Drive was decent.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yeah the whole which version was better conversation is pretty helpful. The RetroPi can run amiga,(I think DOS), and a bunch of others so if theres a game you liked from back then that was better on one system then point it out. 

I just stated MD and SNES because they were the two power houses of the era.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • That Turtles one was good.
    Edit sloooooow
  • If we've widened the options....

Speedball 2 was fantastic (Amiga likely the best version)

New Zealand Story (both MD and MS versions are very good)
  • Was Xenon II good? I was rubbish at it, but remember being blown away by the soundtrack.
  • Ranma 1/2 was decent as fighters go.

Also final fight 1/2/3 I don't think have been mentioned.

Lemmings on the snes wasn't a disaster.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Treasure's Yu Yu Hakusho (MD) is often remembered with great fondness. I've tried playing it a couple of times, but it hasn't clicked with me thus far.

I played a MD called Street Smart last year (it was considered poor on release)...I really liked it.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Ranma 1/2 was decent as fighters go.

The best version of Final Fight is the Mega CD one.

• wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Was Xenon II good? I was rubbish at it, but remember being blown away by the soundtrack.

Wouldn't bother with any format except Amiga.

It's dated badly though.  Menace is actually far more fun IMHO.  Blood Moneys dated too now.  Shame as I brought my Amiga to play it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    for SNES

Pilotwings - I'm still waiting for a sequel. The N64 game was good but didn't capture the feel of the original.
    Super Castlevania IV - first game in the series I played and still my favourite. This one has the best whip control scheme. It starts a bit slow but it really kicks off in level 2. Most people mention the music and rightly so.
    On the Ball aka Cameltry Original ball/maze game. Kind of like a 2D Monkey Ball. You rotate the maze around to roll the ball to the target.
    Prince of Persia Best version of the 2D era. Has exclusive levels and great visuals and music.
    Buster Busts Loose Stonking licenced platformer. Only 7 levels but they pack in loads of variety and again - brilliant visuals and sounds.
    Kirby's Dream Course Original crazy golf themed game with a bit of strategy and Kirby-themed power ups thrown in. Well worth a look
    Battletoads in Battlemaniacs Great update from the NES game. Not quite as tough but still packs a challenge. Still looks good and is great in 2 player. When RARE hadn't lost the plot.
    Super Probotector Another great update - great 2 player action too. Konami were at their peak in the 16bit era.
    Zombies Horror film themed Gauntlet style game. 2 players. Loads of levels, great level and enemy design - and memorable music.
    RType III Exclusive to the SNES. Same drill - looks and sounds great - still. Rock hard though.
    Legend of Mystical Ninja Another Konami triumph. Forced perspective sections with light RPG elements give access to brilliant 2D side on platforming and boss battles. 2 player is a riot with piggy back option!
    Legend of Zelda - a link to the past First one I played and the only one I completed. Absolutely top drawer stuff that Nintendo have been recycling ever since to be honest.
    Super Bomberman This may have been at home on the PC-Engine but this is quite brilliant version too and with 4 players is hard to beat. Only topped by the mighty Saturn Bomberman.
    Plok The SNES plays host to so many excellent platformers but this one stands out. The limb throwing character brings some charm and original ideas. The Follin soundtrack is stupendous and the levels look like a 60's inspired landscape.
    Yoshi's Island The SNES's best platformer. The fact that this was being developed at the same time as Mario64 by the same dev house boggles the mind. This sees Nintendo at their creative peak. This is 2d sprite work at its best and it will never age.
    Super Smash TV Robotron sequel that squeezes amazing performance from the SNES. Brilliant port and the SNES control delivers a great control scheme.
    Pop n Twinbee Cute pastel shmup from Konami (again!) with great visuals and sounds and excellent replayable levels.
    Unirally Race pre-rendered unicycles with character(!) in lightening fast 2D tracks. It really wakes up once you learn the tracks and the flexible control scheme allows you perform stunts for speed boosts. Quite original and exclusive to the SNES. This annoyed Pixar and they weighed in with the lawyers so it got a limited run - worth a look.
    Super Aleste Best shmup on the SNES - techie tour-de-force with loads of sprites and no slowdown complemented with great use of Mode 7. One of my favourite shmups on any platform.
    Tetris Attack Tetris gameplay nowhere to be seen. Its a Nintendo-themed port of Panel-de-Pon released in Japan. Brillant game - shame Nintendo felt they had to rebrand it but at least that meant we got to play it.
    Out to Lunch Another excellent platformer - but the food chasing mechanic makes it stand out. Loads of charm and lovely little effects are everywhere. Lots of secrets and a really big challenge.
    F-Zero Still very playable though its 1 player only. Its descendants - particularly the amazing Gamecube version by Sega mean it is redundant now but I still give this a spin from time to time.
    Addams Family I usually avoid licence tie-ins but this one had some effort put in. It's quite like Jet Set Willy actually. Instead of collecting items you have several sequences of rooms to negotiate with loads of weird enemies to get to a boss and release a family member. Its really tough but its doable because you can tackle the challenges in any order you like and there are loads of secrets that dish out the 1ups and it looks great.
    Hagane Excellent Shinobi-a-like with loads of moves. Rock hard but has great atmosphere.
    Tetris Battle Gaiden Tetris update that actually works which is a rare thing. Create lines to charge up a spell meter to dish out havoc on your opponent. Has a good classic mode too. Japanese only release.
    Street Fighter II Turbo Still so playable after all these years. Looks great too - I had this running through a projector via s-video in a recent office gaming tourney and it still looked good - but the gameplay and control backs it up too.
    Super Metroid First I played in the series - and the only one I've completed. Brilliant atmosphere and an excellent expanding range of moves and levels. Never bettered.
    Cybernator aka Assault Suits Valken Excellent mecha game with great sense of weight and inertia and great control scheme using all the SNES controllers buttons.
    Pop n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure Pastel hued platformer with maze elements and some run & gunning too.
    Super Punch Out Great update of the NES original. More of the same but benefits from better graphics and more fighters. Keeps best times and scores for repeat play.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Ranma 1/2 was decent as fighters go.

The best version of Final Fight is the Mega CD one.

I mentioned 2. MCD version of 1 and SNES 2 are both very good, 3 not so much.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bit off topic but @davyK you should really play another Zelda and Metroid.

Prime and Skyward Sword would be my recommendations for you.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    for NES

Gradius Great old port of the arcade game. Flickers in places and slows down in others- but it feels like the arcade. Rock hard challenge.

Punch Out Legendary comic boxing game - this was a real crowd pleaser back in the day. One of the few games that ever made me laugh.

Solar Jet Man Massive gravity based shooter in the same vein as Gravitar and Thrust - only this takes the genre to it limits. Filled with different planets to explore and items to find in your quest to find battle ship parts. Weird humour and sound effects make for a very pleasing experience. Technically brilliant too - huge levels made navigable by the mapping facility and smooth 8-way scrolling was a big deal back then.

Solomon's Key Excellent port of the Tecmo platform puzzle game - pretty close in quality to the arcade game.

Balloon Fight Nintendo does Joust - and in some ways improves upon it. Faultless sense of inertia and the cute balloon grasping characters are more fun - and there's variety in the little bonus levels. Great 2 player dynamics as in Joust. Also features an extra little game called Balloon Flight which is a survival style "how far can you go" game that is seriously addictive.

Tetris Nintendo's version is great.Pity there's no 2 player mode but its a brilliant interpretation of the game which isn't a given even now - many later versions don't feel as good as this one.

Devil World Excellent maze game which is a clever development of Pacman. Another game with a great 2 player simultaneous mode.

Battletoads Great in 1 player but a riot in 2 player. Technically excellent multi-format game. It goes from a scrolling brawler to a cavern decent, to a bike ride, to a trad. platformer, to a hori shmup, to a river ride on a surfboard...... Too hard for its own good in places but a really entertaining game.

Boulderdash The NES got a great version of this. Really slick presentation - I'd say the best of the 8bit era at least.

Donkey Kong ClassicsDonkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr On one cart. Good value at the time! DK has 1 level missing (as most versions do for some reason) but the star here is DK Jr. I think its a better game and it is complete here - all the levels. Spot on conversions.

Dropzone Stunning redux of Defender by Archer Maclean - the NES gets a lightening fast version that looks great, sounds great and controls great. Just writing this makes me want to get a NES again just to play this.

Dr. Mario Original version of this underrated puzzle game from Nintendo. Not quite Tetris but it outdoes many efforts by other dev houses. Highly addictive.

Ice Climber Lovely little vertically scrolling 2D platformer.  Great simultaneous 2 player mode that really changes how you play. Looks pretty good too - would like to see a remake of this.

NES open tournament golf Great later release for the NES. A full featured golf game with great graphics and control - ahead of its time.

Palamedes Clever dice based puzzle game with 2 player battle mode.

Probotector aka Contra War in a box - brilliant run and gun from Konami. Total action from start to finish and it has great variety in it levels. Has a 2 player simultaneous mode too.

Spelunker Cave based platformer with nice detailed graphics and a real sense of exploration. It can be a bit fussy - your character dies really easily (too easily in a fall) but its a great game and a hefty challenge.

Yoshi's Cookie and Wario's Woods Two top notch puzzlers that were late releases and so have really slick graphics and presentation.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dynamite Headdy. Obviously.

And I like that shout for Madden. Madden 92, like Streets Of Rage 2 has aged surprisingly well:

Everything else worth playing has already been listed.
    But I can't rate Chrono Trigger highly enough. Even if you hate JRPG's, you should still play it. It's one of the finest games ever made.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't have a lot of Megadrive games but I'd recommend these:

Subterrania Excellent thrust-em-up with detailed graphics and puzzle-style challenges backing up the shooting.

Gods Bitmap Bros excellent puzzle platformer with shooting elements. The SNES version is excellent too , actually , might be a bit better if memory serves.

Toki Doesn't look like much but this plays really well. The old school toughness might put a few off though.

Vectorman Top notch shooter/platformer - very impressive technically.

Klax Solid implementation of the arcade puzzle game.

Quackshot Gorgeous looking and great sounding platformer - also see Castle of Illision

Micro Machines 96 Best version ever. also see MM Military

New Zealand Story Remix of the arcade game.

Space Invaders 91 Splendid update with power ups and loads of levels. Rock hard too.

Dragon's Fury Excellent pinball game.

Gunstar Heroes Lovely platform shooter from Treasure

Flicky Looks crap but really addictive with nice risk/reward.

Thunderforce IV Great horizontal shooter that has some limited vertical scrolling.
  • Quackshot's a good shout, better than Castle of Illusion on MD imo.  Has some very simplistic Metroid style backtracking with items, played through it again recently.  Master System Castle of Illusion is where the real magic happened. 

Subterrania is a superb game - my favourite 16-bit shooter in fact, would probably be my all-time fave if not for Bangai-O on DC.  Pixeljunk Shooter would probably be third.
  • Mega Drive had some good shooters, tbh.

Gynoug, Hellfire, Biohazard Battle, and Thunderforce III (I've already mentioned IV) are all decent.

Did anyone mention Parodius on SNES?
  • Ranger-X is pretty good too.
  • I was gonna mention Ranger X, I enjoyed that.  The others you mentioned are well liked, but I've realised in recent years that I'm rarely keen on fixed scrolling shooters - I prefer to push the screen myself (or not move at all).  Took me ages to work that out, I just thought I didn't like the genre post-Galaxian era.  There are a handful of exceptions - UN Squadron and Sine Mora, Iridion II on GBA.  Super Aleste was fun when we did that in the retro thread, so I don't seem to mind vertical shooters.  I'm probably forgetting some.
  • Some great shouts.
    Has anyone mentioned The Haunting on the MD? I loved that game.

As for fighters, Fatal Fury on the MD was my only game for ages and I loved it. If you go for Eternal Champions go for the MegaCd version as its miles better although I love both.

Earthbound on the SNES and Sunset Riders multi format.

I think everyone has mentioned all the others!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!