Top Ten 16 Bit (that isn't Mario or Sonic) ((Or anything from the good old days Pre N64/PS1))
  • Yeah Retropie Amstrad CPC464 support too. I remember Jet Set Willy being fucking nails as a kid. Theres a few Amstrad games I want to try out because it's the machine I had growing up. I really want to play Sorcery again. It was one of my favorite games. 

sorcery.png
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you want to be demoralised on the Amstrad - try Cauldron 1 & 2.....fecking impossible. No. 1 is a hori-shooter interspersed with caves to explore that require pixel perfect jumps. No.2 sees you exploring a castle as a bouncing pumpkin head that has a mad inertia affected control system.

464 had a good version of Bombjack - but the Pi runs MAME very well I am told.

It had a great version of Chuckie Egg too - put loads of time in on that.

Cybernoid II - marvellous cavern shooter with loads of weapons - to progress you had to collect a target amount of points gained by picking up objects dropped by defeated enemies. Not sure how it would hold up now but it was coded by a guy called Rafaelle Cecco who worked miracles with the 464.

I quite liked Stormlord on the 464 too - made by the same guy I think. Rock hard as per usual in those days. It's a puzzly, shooty platform game.

There's the Dizzy games too - you have various options for emulators there.

Knight Lore is another one you have emu options with. The 464 version was spot on but I doubt there's much difference between that and the Speccy version as it was a straight port.

Thrust Truly great gravity shooter.

Fruit Machine Simulator A real curio - recreated the UK fruit machine experience with the usual trappings such as feature trails, nudges etc.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cheers @AJ and @Scotswahey I'd be interested to see the results as its realistically the only way I'm going to be able to play some of the more extortionate/ collectable games.

As Davy has picked up the Amstrad CPC 464 mantle, my next door neighbour used to play a game called Gryzor which I have just literally found out is the Japanese name for Contra. Loved that game but the NES version was probably better?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Cheers @AJ and @Scotswahey I'd be interested to see the results as its realistically the only way I'm going to be able to play some of the more extortionate/ collectable games. As Davy has picked up the Amstrad CPC 464 mantle, my next door neighbour used to play a game called Gryzor which I have just literally found out is the Japanese name for Contra. Loved that game but the NES version was probably better?

I'd say the NES versions would trump most stuff on the 8bit micros. NES Contra is one of the best games on the system - in my NES list earlier. Forgot about the JPN name - it's actually called Probotector in PAL and has robots substituted for the soldiers, Contra is the US name.
  • Eric the Raspberry Pi isnt without its flaws. They designed it to use micro USB but a lot of micro USB's dont give the pi enough power to run properly. When you start plugging things into it you end up with not enough juice to power those devices and the Pi itself. It is also a pretty slow machine at 700mhz. I've set mine at 900mhz and they say it knocks 5 years off it's life of 20 odd years so for a £30 machine I don't really care.

But if you are planning on trying Raspberry Pi my advice is get the right Power Supply. To make a simple emulation box you can get the image from Retropie. All you have to do is get the image onto an SD care (I recommend something 16gb or more so you can get loads on there). Then plug in the power, HDMI and controller and away you go.

You're looking at spending maybe £60-£70 for the full setup. There are possibly other options out there but I have had my Pi for a while now.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Chuckie Egg. Fuck me.
  • Powered USB hub would solve one of the issues, no?
  • I've actually got a powered USB hub but you have to be careful which one you get. I use mine to power the keyboard and mouse as well as the Pi because my phone chargers are a bit flakey. But some powered hubs will loop power back in and fry your machine. 

I'm away to order the power supply listed because it gives more amps than the Pi needs so you never get a voltage drop. I just want something less messy than my current setup.

• My neighbour had Chuckie Egg. Along with the pretty shit Terminator 2 game it's probably my most played C64 effort.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Absolutely fantastic game. Rampage too, three players fighting to get space on the keyboard. Dunno if you can emulate that.
  • I remember being absolutely obsessed by Wonderboy in Monsterland on Megadrive. The first RPG I ever played.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Oh and Wizball on the c64 was fucking amazing.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wizball reminds me of something I played call I Ball on the 464. It was far too tough which is a shame as it could have been a very enjoyable game. It was a scrolling vertical shooter but the ball you controlled had inertia and fired in the direction it was moving.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My neighbour had Chuckie Egg. Along with the pretty shit Terminator 2 game it's probably my most played C64 effort.
    I had the cartridge version if T2 and I remember the graphics were amazing at the time. There was a shit fight to start with followed by a top down motorbike section that was hard as nails.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just remembered Spindizzy - pretty sure it was multi-platform but I had the 464 version which was excellent. It was a huge challenge though - really tough - and with no game saves to all intents and purposes, like any game of a decent size in those days, impossible.

Spindizzy Worlds on the SNES isn't bad - worth a look too. I quite enjoyed it and it gets really tough later on.
  • I had the Amiga 500 version of spindizzy. proper tough.
  • Eric wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My neighbour had Chuckie Egg. Along with the pretty shit Terminator 2 game it's probably my most played C64 effort.
    I had the cartridge version if T2 and I remember the graphics were amazing at the time. There was a shit fight to start with followed by a top down motorbike section that was hard as nails.

Yep.  Funnily enough they're the only bits I remember too....
  • Bombjack and north and south if going Amiga bound
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Amiga:

Kick Off 2
    Zeewolf
    Cannon Fodder
    Top-down football game I can't remember the name of where you could chase the ref around to delay a card (I'm getting Fever Pitch - which I know it's not - and Red Card Soccer in my head?  Neither is correct)
    Secret of Monkey Island
    Simon the Sorcerer
    Alien Breed
    Leander
    Skidmarks/Super Skidmarks
    Dino Dini's Goal
    Sensi, obv
    Indiana Jones n the Fate of Atlantis
    Hook (another point and click, I liked this one)
    Pirates
    Chuck Rock and Son of Chuck
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not sure if we're talking about specifics or even if this counts as 16bit, but wonderdog, markos magic football (I think), the dinosaur dude, anyway what I mean is the Mega CD was far better than we give it credit for, and emulation exists but cd images are a lot bigger than cartridge roms
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Marko's Magic Football is available for plain old Megadrive. Quite a charming game.

The top down racer Codemaster "simulator" games for the 8bits might be worth a look at again. I had Grand Prix Simulator in which the cars were just little boxes with a white dot on them so you could tell which end was the front but it was highly playable.

(btw youtube appears to be fucked at the minute - comments aren't loading and video play is hit and miss - anyone else getting these problems?)

• cockbeard wrote:
    I'm not sure if we're talking about specifics or even if this counts as 16bit, but wonderdog, markos magic football (I think), the dinosaur dude, anyway what I mean is the Mega CD was far better than we give it credit for, and emulation exists but cd images are a lot bigger than cartridge roms

This one's stumped me.  Unless you mean the transport in Keio Flying Squadron, or Puggsy maybe?

Edit: Or Chuck Rock, if you just mean Dinosaur era dude.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    First Fifa you could run away from ref, but it wasn't strictly top down so I hope you mean Dino Dini's Super Kick Off

Have since re read your post and being as you mention two Dino Dini games already it might well not be super kick off
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Snatcher is only on Mega CD, no?

Don't think Puggsy is dinosaur. Was a good game though. Racking my brain trying to think of dinosaur game now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Chuck Rock possibly? I posted a mega cd roll of honour in one of my first posts in maroon rum, was markos really on the magedrive can't wait until new house is sorted and I can start checking out old stuff again
  • cockbeard wrote:
    First Fifa you could run away from ref, but it wasn't strictly top down so I hope you mean Dino Dini's Super Kick Off

Nope, neither of them.  Played a fair bit of this other one - speech bubbles would appear as you chased the ref iirc.
  • Ah, Chuck Rock might be it. Although Joe and Mac might fit the bill too??
  • Don't think Joe & Mac was on the Mega CD.  There was a MD version though.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Don't think Puggsy is dinosaur. Was a good game though.

I've got no idea what the hell Puggsy was in hindsight, but I really enjoyed that game too.
  • A walking nose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!