Top Ten 16 Bit (that isn't Mario or Sonic) ((Or anything from the good old days Pre N64/PS1))
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Did anyone mention Parodius on SNES?

Good shout - I was impressed how good a job that was when I went back to it after the Saturn version. On Saturn it is perfect, but the SNES version looks as good and only suffers from occasional slowdown.

Gairies on MD is another good shmup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Mega-Drive Street Fighter is infinitely superior.

However there is no point playing fighting games on consoles (bar the console exclusive like weaponloard or eternal champions)

Play them via Arcade emulation.

SSFIIT
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • kneecap wrote:
    Mega-Drive Street Fighter is infinitely superior.

How so?  I used to pretend that was the case as a kid, but the SNES Turbo version pummels it, and wasn't released too long after the SC edition iirc.  You could argue (correctly) that the MD version played better because the 6-button controller was a better fit, but the games themselves were better on SNES imo.
  • N64 has the best pad ever for fighting games. Shame it never got many decent games in the genre.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • N64 has the best pad ever for fighting games. Shame it never got many decent games in the genre.

I never played a fighting game on it, so I can't judge, but it looked like it wouldn't work.  Ergonomics 'n stuff.  For pack-in pads it's Saturn all the way for me.
  • SNES DPad plus choice of 6Button layout or shoulder buttons for the SNES enthusiast = win win
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Damn it! I want one!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Right I just had a bash at Aladdin, Streets of Rage 2, Desert Strike and for my own nostalgic reasons WWF Royal Rumble. 

I have to say that modern gaming has softened me quite a bit and Aladdin was probably the least dated of that batch of games. They all seem to be running smoothly on the Pi and I'll report back any games that dont incase any of you want to try RetroPie yourself. 

Oh and I just ordered a Buffalo SNES controller... It is my birthday tomorrow afterall.

413P1xbkejL._SX385_.jpg
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    kneecap wrote:
    You could argue (correctly) that the MD version played better because the 6-button controller was a better fit, but the games themselves were better on SNES imo.

No, that would be an incorrect argument because MD pad had 3 buttons not 6. You needed a different pad to get the 6 buttons. Just like how you needed to invest in a different pad on SNES to get all 6 buttons on the controller face.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I made an excellent point there.
  • Stupid forum grrrr
  • Were there any decent SNES pad available with 6 face buttons?  I saw plenty of third party MD pads, most of them not great, but none of my mates had anything other than official pads for their Super Nintendo's.  I had a couple of decent third party Saturn pads for Guardian Heroes.
  • More of a Sega aficionado but here goes:

Streets of Rage 2
    Gunstar Heroes
    Shining Force 2
    Phantasy Star IV
    Toejam and Earl
    Street Fighter 2
    The Immortal
    General Chaos
    Might and Magic II
    Aladdin
  • General Chaos is superb. Didn't expect much when I picked it up second hand, but I played it to death.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Were there any decent SNES pad available with 6 face buttons?  I saw plenty of third party MD pads, most of them not great, but none of my mates had anything other than official pads for their Super Nintendo's.  I had a couple of decent third party Saturn pads for Guardian Heroes.

Competition Pro did a decent one. But I never bought one cos the SNES pad was fine, you just adapt. I raped people using the SNES controller. I was even using the standard PS controller for the Alpha games etc.
  • The SNES pad was miles better for SF2. It doesn't really help to have 6 face buttons when you're using your thumbs.
  • Also Devil Crash/Dragon's Revenge on MD. Pinball thing that I played shitloads.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Dogfingers wrote:
    More of a Sega aficionado but here goes: Streets of Rage 2 Gunstar Heroes Shining Force 2 Phantasy Star IV Toejam and Earl Street Fighter 2 The Immortal General Chaos Might and Magic II Aladdin

I suspect ToeJam & Earl might well frustrate a modern player, if my memory serves me correct... In fact, why not spin it, and see how you get on.

Or someone add it to that retro thread, if it's not been done already.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Mutant league football.
  • Kikikaikai on SNES was good fun. I love Jap stuff. 

Talking of shmups earlier, I liked the Macross game on the SNES. Was cool back then to change forms and stuff that had different powers and weapons.
  • Oh, Dready's mention of the retro thread reminded me of my contribution to the play list:

Solstice 2: Equinox. Lovely game.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I raped people using the SNES controller.

I just wanted to quote that in isolation for my own childish lulz.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    SNES pad was fine, you just adapt.
    I'm with you here put would like to add that there was no adapting as the first 6 Button controller was SNES. Never understood the argument for the 6 Button MD pad because...
    JonB wrote:
    The SNES pad was miles better for SF2. It doesn't really help to have 6 face buttons when you're using your thumbs.
    This makes the perfect argument. With the SNES pad you can have your thumb and fingers ready to hit a button at any split second. Going from A button to Z button on the MD pad just isn't as quick or easy.

That's why the N64 pad would have been great imo, would have pleased both groups.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • To be blunt how many pads now have 6 face buttons?

There's a good reason it stuck at/reverted to 4.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Erm. The fightpads do. The ones pad users use for Street Fighter and stuff?
  • It stuck at 4 because people are too fassymans to handle 6. Unless you are a manly fightman guy and then yes, you can handle this amount of face buttons/please a lady in bed.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I still stand by my point of 8 buttons being best divided between 4 shoulder and 4 face, having to move your thumb over a button to hit another is just a bit cumbersome in comparison.

I was always under the impression most fighting game enthusiasts still use control sticks where the 6 button layout makes more sense.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Mutant league football.
    How did I forget this?
  • I never got used to using shoulder buttons for fierce attacks - always changed them to medium on SNES.  MD six button felt like the natural replication of the arcade set-up.  My (once reasonable) SF skills were born and bred in the local chippy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!