Pro Wrestling
  • There's a bunch of mad folk online saying that Matt Hardy fell on actual concrete and almost died so we shouldn't want the Jericho fall to not look lame.

AEW really need to sort out their production problems and how they frame the big dangerous spots. It's the two things that really let them down and should be better.

I have no idea how much the production stuff is aew and how much is tnt or Fite TV but the amount of promos that have no sound for the first few seconds is shocking and it's being going on for forever so they must be aware of it.
  • Don't forget commentators being on hot mics as well.
  • They haven't done that in a while so at least they've ironed out that one. Nobody needs JR with a hot mic.

The audio for a match was replaced by the sound from a basketball game recently. This was on the tnt feed and not fite so it didn't affect me but still.

• These are all minor niggles tbf. I still have a hella good time watching it
  • I agree it did start to drag but not until FTR started to tear up the ring. Before that though I was well into it. Felt like a real good old school brawl. As for the fall, everything single stunt like this in wrestling looks naff bar a select few, and the few that don’t are utterly idiotic and shouldn’t be done. I’d wish they did a different end. But I enjoyed it never the less. Next weeks show looks fucking awesome though.

In what’s real good news for the promotion it came number 1 in the ratings for cable, which is awesome for wrestling, wrestling fans and wrestlers. Wrestle.
  • Holy shit this was an incredible dive through the ropes from Darby Allin last night

https://twitter.com/snoringelbow/status/1392675977172377602?s=19

It was a great main event on Dynamite. Miro looked like a monster but Darby still came out strong despite losing. Sad for Darby but I think it was time and I'm very pumped to see Miro absolutely ruin people as the tnt champ now.

Rest of Dynamite was fine? The title match between the bucks and SCU was the only other stand out. Can't say I was bothered about SCU splitting if they lost as Christopher Daniels just comes across as an embarrassing dad and I don't care about the south cali gimmick thing they have but they put on a hell of a show and actually made me care. Also Chris Daniels was bleeding so much it was crazy. Absolutely pooling on the mat.
  • So, I think something happened to Orange Cassidy as the powerbomb pac gave him looked horrendous, no idea whether that was supposed to end up a three way or not. I hate 3 ways for titles they are shite. Heel always wins after a babyface A hits the finsh on the other wrestler, then babyface gets chukced out og the ring by the heel and the heel pins the other wrestler. They should do their own thing and make it elimination rules. Anyway. Darby was fucking awesome in everyway, Miro was great, bucks match was excellent. Cody's promo was utterly brilliant. Dark Order goofyness got laughs out of me. Enjoyed Kenny's promo. Yuji Nagata was on TV. Good stuff this week.

PPV looks like a banger, though I'm not sure about Stadium Stampede with no crowd. Bit of a bummer makingthe live crowd watch a video screen. I'm into pretty much everything here and interested to see how Anthony Ogogo does in a high profile match.
  • Yeah Orange was knocked out so they called an audible to have the double KO. It was going to be a triple threat anyway as it was apparently supposed to go the full 20 minutes and end as a draw. Hopefully Orange is okay as you're right, that powerbomb really looked bad.

I'm looking forward to it tbh as AEW don't really do any triple threat matches. I'm all for them doing something new and as long as Orange is okay I'm sure it'll be a banger regardless of how Kenny Omega wins it.

You're right about stadium stampede. It's a bit weird escalating from a blood and guts match into what was a comedy match. This whole feud between pinnacle and inner circle has felt a bit rushed to me and they should have let it breath a bit more. Jericho should have been off TV for a couple weeks to sell the injury and the loss, have the others licking their wounds a bit. Instead we were straight back into it with them demanding a rematch after losing fair and square. It feels like they want this match at the ppv and have to squeeze the story in around that rather than the match being because of the story. If that makes sense.

Will probably be fun anyway.
  • I think I'm going to watch this Live, bank holiday.
  • Nice. The days I'd do that are well behind me.

Found this image from Imapct pretty amusing

nqFKa0g.png
  • Jim Cornette is spitting pure rage at that image
    SFV - reddave360
  • So just read on Twitter on the backlash pre show ricochet was fighting Sheamus in an open challenge. Tuned in as it sounded decent. Ricochet loses completely clean in an average non title match, after the match nicks Sheamus’s ring gear and attacks him from behind. Your baby face is both a loser and a fucking arsehole. WTF.
  • Backlash was pretty poor. I've said before i'm tired of three-way matches. I think they always look unco-ordinated. The womens match was particularly bad with women running around feigning injury to get into position for the next move. 

The bailey match was ok. Everything else was pretty much trash. Four years ago Braun couldn't be taken off his feat and now he falls over at anything Roman does to him. Strowman should've been the new lesnar (i know that comment won't get approval here though). 

[4]
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I think the last thing WWE needs is a new Brock Lesnar, but yes, three ways are really just a narrative contrivance where one participant is very obviously only in the match to take the pin. I enjoyed Backlash tbh. It wasn't brilliant, but I was entertained for the most of it. Main event was good, but the finish seemed a clumsy way of steering the narrative in another direction.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • When I say Braun should be the new brock, I don't mean someone who's only wheeled out on special occasions. I mean someone who's boarderline invincible for a few years. 

Braun catching Drew mid air was the highlight of the night for me
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I was defo on board the Braun hype train a few years back. When he was pushing over ambulances and pinning 2 guys at once. It made him stand out and like it or not, people will get behind someone who wins. If Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan was trading wins and loses back in the day I dont think they would get over nearly as strong. Braun at one point was hot - and they didnt go with him when he was. I've heard its partly because he has a bit of a head on him, maybe he was unsafe and he certainly isnt going to give you many five star matches so maybe there were genuine reasons why they wont let him really hit the to tier. 

But I agree with Mk64 - there is a value in having one or two guys who are killers and hard to beat. Like Andre and Taker and in the past while Brock as well. If I was booking, I'd have kept Braun very strong. No pinfall loses unless it was the end of a feud and have him regularly demolish other guys. You can keep the title off him through other means - thats what count outs and DQs are for. If Vince and the crew really are all about booking stories they should look to Marvel Movies as to how it works - your hero needs to be the winner at the end of the day and you need to give him (or her) something big to overcome. Marvel kept Thanos back for a reason and the Fed should have done likewise with Braun.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Double or Nothing was fantastic.

Crowd were great, all of the matches bar the stampede were good to outstanding. It’s probably going to be ppv of the year.
  • Watching it now. Just got to the end of the Cody Anthony Agogo match and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

I really thought
    Spoiler:

Was also mildly disappointed by the Joker entrant in the battle royal but I think that's my own fault for getting a bit worked up over Daniel Bryan's contract expiring.
  • Yeah we were throwing names like Punk, Bryan and Okada about, initially I was disappointed but when got in the ring and went mental I was happy.
  • Just finished up Double or Nothing and that triple threat between Omega, Pac, and Orange Cassidy for the title was the most entertaining thing I've seen in ages. It was just so much fun and they all played their parts so well. Loved it.

Also the tag match with Darby and 60 odd year old Sting was fucking brilliant. I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing when Sting dove off the stage onto Skye and Page. So good.

The rest of the card was fine but far too long. I really don't need four hour wrestling shows.

Also in a big wtf moment WWE have apparently released:
    Braun Strowman
    Aleister Black
    Ruby Riott
    Lana
    Santana Garrett
    Buddy Murphy

5DZsukA.gif
  • WTF!?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I can believe Strowman asked for his release, because they've fucking wasted him.

But after all the effort they've just put in to repackage Aliester Black, firing him just after he's redebuted is a top tier fucking Vince move.

Also releasing half of two different womens tag teams, bra fucking vo.
  • Im sure they'll all do ok, except Braun who can go and fuck himself. If I'm Tony you take Tommy End, which is a no-brainer and possibly Lana. Bad wrestler but the old Rusev/Lana package was very entertaining. Some of the others I admit are good but the roster is stacked and you kinda need a bit of charisma in AEW, they have plenty of good wrestlers.
  • Buddy would be a nice fit in New Japan actually
  • What's wrong with Braun?

I think he'd do well in either Japan or NWA.
  • He had a go at an indie wrestler at the start of the pandemic for suggesting that fans buy merch to support their favourite wrestlers as they were unable to work shows. Braun put this down to them not working hard enough.
  • One mistake doesn't make the man. I like him. Just another reason for me not to watch wwe anymore.
  • Watched some highlights of AEW. Some good stuff and some dross going by the highlights which is typical for wrestling. The one thing it had that makes it so much more appealing than wwe is the energy of both the fans and the wrestlers. Not a fan of the bucks, moxley or omega but there is no denying they show enthusiasm for their role and the fans feed off it.

More than anything, that's actually what wrestling needs. A hot crowd with wrestlers feeding unto and off it. Even before covid, wwe looked so sterile and over produced that it didn't matter the match, it lacked that atmosphere that drags you in.

From its announcers to its "stories" to its promos to its lighting - wwe is so over produced as to be near unwatchable to me, even though I reckon the in ring product probably would appeal to me more than the "ott workrate" of AEW.
    SFV - reddave360
  • @Dave If you haven't already you should watch the Buy In match between Serena Deeb and Riho for the NWA women's championship. It's one of the matches of the night and the crowd is hot as hell for it.

• You could make an argument that was match of the night

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!