Movie record 2020 edition
  • No improv in The Lighthouse. All as written on the page. The "what" scene is supposed to be quite an interesting script section.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    33. The Mystery of Picasso

Insightful mixture of live/stop motion/behind the scenes creation with the artist.

[7]

(Mubi app but the film expires today)
  • 24. Shutter Island - 17 Mar
    Scorsese does complex psychological thriller. Great cast and performances.
    [8]

25. Rush Hour 3 - 17 Mar
    Shit but not as shit as 2.
    [4]

26. Marriage Story - 18 Mar
    Driver is brilliant. Expected a little more from it but still a decent watch.
    [7]

27. Kingsman The Secret Service - 20 Mar
    Pretty standard spy action flick.
    [5]

28. Heat - 20 Mar
    Still an all-time classic. Can never tire if watching this.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 49. 12 Angry Men (1957) - 9
    Classic stuff and just as entertaining as the first time I saw it. Love it.

50. Trauma Center - 4
    Oh dear. Got fooled into this one looking through netflix and seeing it had Bruce Willis in. He's so bad in it, I had no idea he'd fallen to the Nicolas Cage level action films for a pay day. Gets a bonus point for having Steve Guttenberg in, who I haven't seen in anything since 1990!

51. Ghostbusters (2016) - 5
    Yeah, its not great and not a patch on the originals but... I don't get the venomous hate it got. Has a few laughs and the leads are good for the most part, especially Kate McKinnon who I think is great. I found the cameos from the original cast quite funny too.

52. Training Day - 8
    Denzel makes a good film that little bit better. His enjoyment in the role is obvious to see, no wonder he won an Oscar for it.

53. Zombieland 2: Double Tap - 7
    More Zombieland, good stuff. Zoey Deutch is great as the dumb blonde.

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Anna
    Stylish lightweight Cold War spy thriller with a great cast. Not Besson’s best, but not his worst. Helen Mirren steals the show.
  • Ad Astra
    Brad Pitt travels to the edge of the solar system but all he finds is yet another story of a middle aged white American man facing his Daddy issues.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've watched a few recently and then been silly and watched another one rather than jotting down my thoughts straight away, so badly disciplined, however

11. Sonic The Hedgehog
    I enjoyed this, but apart from one thing I could have got by with just the end credits, which I super enjoyed. However was well worth watching purely for Jim Carrey, he raised this film several points. I hated him as a kid, at least until Cable Guy and Man In The Moon, and whilst this is nowhere near those heights, it did make me think, wow I've missed this bloke. More films for Jim plox [7]
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I've watched a few recently and then been silly and watched another one rather than jotting down my thoughts straight away, so badly disciplined, however 11. Sonic The Hedgehog I enjoyed this, but apart from one thing I could have got by with just the end credits, which I super enjoyed. However was well worth watching purely for Jim Carrey, he raised this film several points. I hated him as a kid, at least until Cable Guy and Man In The Moon, and whilst this is nowhere near those heights, it did make me think, wow I've missed this bloke. More films for Jim plox [7]

I enjoyed Sonic way more than I thought I would.  Carrey is totally on form and man the starting credits with all the Sega games almost had me doing a little jig!
  • Sonic was much better than any of us expected. I really enjoyed it, seen it twice already (once on my own and once with the boys) and looking forward to seeing it again when it comes out on its early digital release next week.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    My movie intake in increasing due to the lock-down.  Last night I partook in:

The Invisible Man - Not bad at all, couple of good scares and a nice conclusion.

The Hunt - Great fun, short and sweet.  Turn in and tune out for 1.5 hours of brainless fun!
  • 61. Savage Dog
    Scott Adkins 1959 Indochina set beat em up. Average story, good choreography. 6

62. Juliet, Naked
    Gentle romantic comedy. Girlfriend meets boyfriend's reclusive music idol, stuff happens. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Star Wars Episode IX

Bonkers. Was doing okay, then it accelerated into blunderbuss mode when a Star destroyer started waving its willy around. A fairly enjoyable spectacle that's miles better than any of the prequels, but they chucked all the kithen sinks at the last 40 minutes or so. I think I preferred Episode VIII!! [6]
  • The Dark Knight Rises. Not seen this since I watched it at the cinema on release and I think I enjoyed it far more this time around. It's by far the most comic booky of the Nolan trilogy, where the two main characters having very silly voices is only like the fifth most ridiculous thing in it, but my God the action set pieces are superb. 8.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • A rewatch from a few years ago.

63. Hush
    Superior home invasion thriller. Crossbow wielding creep preys upon deaf, mute woman. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Made of Honor
    Proud bearer of some of the worst Scottish accents (by English actors, no less) I’ve ever heard, and a caber-tossing scene with an obviously fibreglass log. Also, a shit-tier romcom. For the bin.
  • Are you sure you don't have a fever poppo? I can't think of any other reason why you would watch that dreck.
  • Mrs poprock likes to watch really bad romcoms while I’m busy working. But I work on a laptop in the same room.
  • I’ve seen every season of Outlander for the same reason.
  • At least the Christmas romcoms have stopped now. Netflix is a fucking enabler of this dreck, I tell you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’ve seen every season of Outlander for the same reason.

I watched a film by that name yesterday, is it the same premise? Alien crash lands in iron era Norway?
  • Nope. It’s an adaptation of a series of romance novels where an American woman from the 1940s accidentally time travels to ancient Scotland and falls in love with a clan chief. It’s awful cheese, but a lot of my friends have managed to get gigs working on it, so it does have a good side.
  • poprock wrote:
    Nope. It’s an adaptation of a series of romance novels where an American woman from the 1940s accidentally time travels to ancient Scotland and falls in love with a clan chief. It’s awful cheese, but a lot of my friends have managed to get gigs working on it, so it does have a good side.
    Confession time: I have read the first three books in that series.
  • poprock wrote:

I watched a film by that name yesterday, is it the same premise? Alien crash lands in iron era Norway?

That's quite decent fun that film. Is it the one with Jesus in it?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Mrs poprock likes to watch really bad romcoms while I’m busy working. But I work on a laptop in the same room.

That's actually a compliment (in a way) to the movie, being as I imagine under those circumstances there have been thousands of hours of screentime that have passed you by, this was at least bad enough to draw your attention
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    poprock wrote:

That's quite decent fun that film. Is it the one with Jesus in it?

Jesus? Not that I'm aware and I doubt I'd have missed him.
  • Webbins wrote:
    A rewatch from a few years ago. 63. Hush Superior home invasion thriller. Crossbow wielding creep preys upon deaf, mute woman. 8

Is top stuff that. Good old Flanaghan.
  • 50. The To-Do List
    Another US comedy with funny people in it but no real jokes or comedy writing. Such a waste.
    [3]

51. Onward
    A story with a lot of cliched beats to it but still very enjoyable and some nice themes throughout. Lush animation tech too.
    [7]
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    34. High Life

Uncomfortable deep space mission drama, although I fell to sleep towards the end.

[5]
  • 29. Once Upon A Time In America - 24 Mar
    My personal favourite of all of Sergio Leone’s work. A true epic and a masterpiece. The haunting and bittersweet melancholic music by Morricone goes perfectly with the film and makes it even greater.
    [10]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!