Movie record 2020 edition
  • I haven’t actually seen the extended director’s cut with 22 added minutes, coming in at 251 minutes. Must get that. 

And I read that the full 269 minute version is still possible and possibly being worked on. Just some rights issues or something.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    29. Once Upon A Time In America - 24 Mar My personal favourite of all of Sergio Leone’s work. A true epic and a masterpiece. The haunting and bittersweet melancholic music by Morricone goes perfectly with the film and makes it even greater. [10]
  • 52. The Hunt
    One of those films that tries to balance out it's lack of style or directing competency with violence. Not bad but a bit too meh with how it looks and the stock music.
    [5]
  • Ford vs Ferrari (or Le Mans ’66)
    Predictably, I loved it, Bale’s accent aside. Days of Thunder meets Mad Men.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    29. Once Upon A Time In America - 24 Mar
    My personal favourite of all of Sergio Leone’s work. A true epic and a masterpiece. The haunting and bittersweet melancholic music by Morricone goes perfectly with the film and makes it even greater.
    [10]

Amazing film, one of my all time favs.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I haven’t actually seen the extended director’s cut with 22 added minutes, coming in at 251 minutes. Must get that. 

And I read that the full 269 minute version is still possible and possibly being worked on. Just some rights issues or something.

You definitely should if you like it as much as you do.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Thought of you when I saw Elf's 10.  Must be pretty high up up your all-time list too?
  • 53. Yesterday
    A pleasant romp helped by having all them songs.
    [7]
  • I saw Yesterday. Loved it. Really nice and of course the soundtrack is brilliant
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Thought of you when I saw Elf's 10.  Must be pretty high up up your all-time list too?

Definitely, probably top 5.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 54. The Fall
    A Bluray I like to revisit every now and then. Still a beautiful film and some lovely performances by Lee Pace and the young girl. I've possibly seen it too many times now though.
    [7]
  • 65. True Romance
    Misfit newlyweds pursue a kooky romance whilst outrunning the Mafia. 8

66. Manchester by the Sea
    Excellent reflective drama based on grief and redemption. Strong Casey Affleck performance. 9
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 30. Get Smart - 26 Mar
    I like Carrell but this was a below average turd that only got one or two laughs from me.
    [4]

31. The Killing of a Sacred Deer - 27 Mar
    Bloody weird film. I think I would’ve found it more convincing and enjoyable if the main family actually behaved like a proper real family. And why was everyone so kinda wooden? I found none of the acting convincing at all. And there was nothing in the shooting and camerawork and editing that made it any interesting. Only the music. Still, it gets a couple of points for the central plot/theme.
    [6]
  • Webbins wrote:

Excellent reflective drama based on grief and redemption. Strong Casey Affleck performance. 9

That would get a big fat 9 fron me too. Might be my favourite film of the last decade, although I'm probably forgetting something.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    35. The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea

Randomly explicit crime drama set in a small eel-farming backwater in Greece.

[5]

36. The Awakening of the Ants

A beleaguered mother tries to balance the demands of family and self-fulfilment.

[7]

37. Lourdes

Slow-burning and well-observed drama about a group seeking out faith healing.

[8]
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Webbins wrote:

That would get a big fat 9 fron me too. Might be my favourite film of the last decade, although I'm probably forgetting something.

You are forgetting Three Billboards. That's as close to a 10 as I've got from logging these films the last couple of years.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I'm not I'm afraid, I was (whisper it) mildly disappointed with it and settled on an [8] iirc.  Very good though, but from the brothers' other films In Bruges and Calvary are both cemented in my top 15 of all time.
  • If you haven't seen it I'd recommend Nebraska.  No reason other than the fact that we've seen eye to eye on a few films recently and I can feel it in my bones that you'd like it.
  • Well after that tribute how can I not check it out? Missed it and In Bruges is definitely in for a rewatch. Just looked up Calvary... I think you are mixing up your McDonaghs ;)
  • Ha, sorry missed that bit for shame.
  • Only seen Sideways from Payne but that's a big favourite of mine.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Ha, sorry missed that bit for shame.

I mixed up Bong Joon-ho and Na Hong-Jin in here a few weeks ago, I'm making sure I'm on the ball now.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Only seen Sideways from Payne but that's a big favourite of mine.

The Descendents is brilliant too.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    Ha, sorry missed that bit for shame.
    I mixed up Bong Joon-ho and Na Hong-Jin in here a few weeks ago, I'm making sure I'm on the ball now.

Racist!
  • Nebraska is legit, by the way. Good film.
  • 3. Clueless - Classic 90s nonsense. Paul Rudd looking a year or two younger than in Endgame. It's the best adaptation of Emma. Funny in ways it meant to be, and hillarious in ways it didn't mean to be.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    Only seen Sideways from Payne but that's a big favourite of mine.

The Descendents is brilliant too.

My film pile of shame is in danger of overtaking my gaming one at this rate.

• I hear you're a racist now, Moot?
  • 3. Clueless - Classic 90s nonsense. Paul Rudd looking a year or two younger than in Endgame. It's the best adaptation of Emma. Funny in ways it meant to be, and hillarious in ways it didn't mean to be.

Great guilty pleasure (or not). I love confusing the 'kids' today with the language.

What do you mean a Baldwin?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!