Movie record 2020 edition
  • Bait

Small town gentrification drama that feels, masterfully, as if it were filmed for television on a shoe-string in the late 1960s. Disjointed editing, outmoded acting styles and strong one-of-a-kind feel help slow burn this into something quite remarkable. Also has the best 'your pub's shit anyway' ever to grace the screen. [8].
  • Damn I need to go back to that, watch 15mins, liked but didn't have the time to dedicate. You're spot on with the 1960s thing. Where did you watch it?
  • Firestick, but I nearly did a free seven day BFI sample on Amazon for it a few weeks ago, offer might still be up (think it was for Prime members though).
  • I think I was the one who suggested the trial to you, I've definitely used mine already.

I'll grab it by some means over the next few years.
  • Yeah, great film.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • nick_md wrote:
    I think I was the one who suggested the trial to you, I've definitely used mine already.

I'll grab it by some means over the next few years.

Heh, probably. I can easily have the same conversation three times a month these days with nothing but a vague sense of deja vu.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Porco Rosso is the best USA dub and better for westerners than the original debate me. I just love Michael Keaton.

This is true by the way.

Porco Rosso
    I love this film. Easily my favourite from the studio. A beautiful, stirring, hilarious self-contained adventure, equally happy to be a daft cartoon and a pathos-rich fairytale at the same time. I never get bored of watching it.

Devdas
    Opulent Bollywood epic. Almost every frame is a thing of absolute beauty, and it has some of the most incredible dance and music numbers I've seen in a film. Let down by a painfully boring plot about a reprehensible scumbag who bafflingly manages to get two of the world's most beautiful women to fall madly in love with him.
  • Interesting. Do you watch much Bollywood?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm a fan of it, but only make the time to watch any films ever once in a while, which I really should change. Favourites have included Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Lagaan, so very much scratching the surface. Luckily the selection on Prime and Netflix actually seems to be pretty good.
  • Check out Pakeezah on Amazon Prime if you haven’t already done so,, a classic Bollywood film. I’m tempted to give it a watch again
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    31. Calm With Horses

Intense crime thriller in which a non-family gang member considers his position.

[8]

Potentially my last cinema review for some time.
  • That one sounded interesting. I like the title.
  • 45. To All The Boys I Loved Before
    Again Netflix are carrying the genres that have faded from main releases. This being a nice and mellow-y presented romance film. I thought it would be a bit "teen" in it's presentation but instead I think they're going for John Hughes but not quite getting there. Still, enjoyable stuff.
    [7]
  • 59. Happy Death Day 2U
    Entertaining Groundhog Day killer sequel with a debatable sci-fi bent. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 46. To All the Boys P.S. I Still Love You
    Cute sequel to the first one that, like the first, it has a nice calm and reasoned style to it.
    [7]

47. Millers Crossing
    The Coens before they had that real Coen spark. I didn't know anything about it so was surprised it was a period thing. Not bad but didn't zing. Nice hats though.
    [5]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Miller's Crossing a [5]

It really is the end times.
  • Jesus christ shabby
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    32. After the Storm

Meandering drama about a failing writer come private investigator reconnecting with his family.

[7]

(BBC iPlayer)
  • Tempy wrote:
    Jesus christ shabby

Don't @ me bro.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You should be dragged into the woods and shot.
  • I went into it knowing a lot of people like it and that it's some peoples fave Coen. I'd be interested to know why. 
    I certainly don't think it's bad but I feel like coming into it after seeing all their other stuff that they went to better places after this and that it felt like a step down. There wasn't that full style and zip to the writing and directing that they have now.

Perhaps it's the same as walking out of seeing Don't Look Now and wondering why people Love it with a capital L. Perhaps I saw it at the wrong time. Perhaps it should have been my Fargo instead of Fargo being my Fargo.
  • Miller's Crossing's a what now?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He's giving you the high hat, Moot.
  • Nobody wants to say why they like it? Perhaps I was right then.
  • Because it has the music from the Last Guardian teaser trailer that’s why.
  • I always thought QT ripped off the under-the-bed scene from MC in KBv1.
  • 60. The Art of Self-Defense
    Jesse Eisenberg's timid accountant takes up karate in this darkly comic tale. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The Lighthouse -  A fine balance between comic and unnerving as minds start to unravel and the film becomes more and more disjointed (or does it?!).  Lots of lovely inky photography.  Some scenes lost me by feeling too...actory, like they were doing improv exercises, but I can't think of two guys I'd rather watch doing that stuff.  Regardless, I'm fine with Eggers turning in a finely crafted fable every few years.  [8]

The Happiness of the Katakuris - I mean what can you say, it's a blast, with surprising moments of sweetness punctuating the black comedy.  [7]

Quatermass 2 -  Aged worse than its predecessor and I struggled to look past the thinly disguised refinery used for most of the film.  Cool setup though, ripe for interpretation and I love some decent practical effects in black and white.  [5]

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage - Only my second Argento after Suspiria so it suffered in comparison, though there are flashes of his macabre style.  By the time the revelations rolled around I'd lost interest in the plot.  [4]

Open Range - Blokes being dudes and not having feelings until Annette Bening shows them how.  I find it much harder to accept genre cliches in modern Westerns but the shootout's pretty fun.  [5]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!