Movie record 2020 edition
  • 41. The Invisible Man
    A well executed thriller horror. Really neat use of camera and blank space. Has that Leigh Whannel thing of not quite executing it all quite as well though.
    [7]

42. Bad Boys For Life
    Surprisingly entertaining. These guys do Bay better than Bay and it actually tries to say something about getting older.
    [6]
  • 14. Tomb Raider (2018) - 3 Mar
    Stupid as expected, like the game. But I actually kinda enjoyed it and liked how it followed the game (reboot) somewhat, and the gamey things like the rock axe me the traps and the climbing etc. Even the QTE style escape sequence. Average movie is elevated a little by that.
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 44. Office Christmas Party
    I’m always curious with these US comedies. I’d like a screen prompt to show me when it’s supposed to be funny because without any actual jokes it’s hard to tell.
    [3] Man I watch a lot of shit.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I can send our roommate over Shabby, he's a real American and laughs at the weirdest stuff. Might be able to help you out there. Warning, he also likes to talk while watching something, specially when he figures something out about the story.
  • 15. The Last Witch Hunter - 3 Mar
    I should stop just watching any shit on Netflix. Specially shit with Vin Diesel in it.
    [3]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    15. The Last Witch Hunter - 3 Mar I should stop just watching any shit on Netflix. Specially shit with Vin Diesel in it. [3]
    I liked the world-building and prod design on that one. Fairly blatant attempt to launch a new franchise but I dig the work Diesel's team is doing on this and Riddick etc.
    Mary Sueing hard though, but I found it passably entertaining.
  • Managed a wee day at Glasgow Film Festival this week, which is all the engagement with it I'll manage this year.

Millennium Actress
    The only one of Satoshi Kon's tragically small filmography that I'd never seen, so was a treat to catch this beautiful 4K restoration. A heartfelt and endlessly inventive love letter to cinema, it nearly had me in tears by the end.

Nail in the Coffin: The Fall and Rise of Vampiro
    Documentary charting the career of a Canadian wrestler who became a game-changing superstar in Mexican Lucha Libre, and continues to step into the ring despite the fact that it'll be what kills him. Interesting enough, though I'd much rather have watched a deep dive into the bonkers Mexican wrestling scene. I'm sure Dante would love it.

Right Here
    A trio of Scottish documentary shorts, the undisputed highlight of which was Long Live Livi, which followed a group of 10-year old girls as they take up skateboarding in the formerly world-class Livingston skate park. Just adorable, and made extra special when no less a figure than Tony Hawk shows up. Time to Fly charted a mother's struggles in getting help for her severely autistic daughter in the current humanity-stripping care system, and Our Fathers was a brilliant little piece about four young Nigerian priests who have been sent over to run the remote parishes in the Scottish highlands, which definitely has scope for a Father Ted-style sitcom spin-off. 

Not a bad day.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Night Train to Munich - Has a similar feel to The Lady Vanishes, with which it shares some cast members.  Radford and Wayne play the same pair of middle-class British gents in a few films, apparently, and they're the scene-stealers here say old boy this Mein Kampf has no cricket in it what what.  It's unfortunate that the miniatures look so miniature, at one point it looks like they've filmed the Playmobil Concentration Camp set.  [6]

Royal Wedding - Astaire dancing on the ceiling is still really impressive and makes this essential.  "How Could You Believe Me..." is the other standout number as I most often prefer the comedic routines over the ballroomy stuff, Easter Parade's "A Couple of Swells" being the high water mark.  I'm not a big fan of Powell's voice but between numbers it keeps up the pace with plenty of charming, silly gags and old man Fred romancing Sarah Churchill, daughter of Winston.  She's a little older than many of Astaire's love interests so it's not quite as creepy when you remember he was born in the nineteenth century.  [7]

The Day the Earth Caught Fire -  Humanity shoots itself in the head and the foot simultaneously, how very pertinent.  I hear 60's British sci-fi and imagine I might have to look past some dated effects and ham but there's no need for such goodwill with this, it's just a great movie.  The dialogue is the star, as the journalists trade cynical jokes and affectionate insults at such relentless pace it's almost exhausting.  The effects sit in that lovely sweet spot where their low tech works in their favour, giving them an otherworldly, impressionistic feel and are helped further by the HD restoration.  [9]
  • Nina wrote:
    I can send our roommate over Shabby, he's a real American and laughs at the weirdest stuff. Might be able to help you out there. Warning, he also likes to talk while watching something, specially when he figures something out about the story.

Sounds like my nightmare :P
    Can never understand why some people can't stay quiet. Even during Bad Boys, the most straight forward of movies, there was a couple behind us whispering to each other throughout.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Millennium Actress The only one of Satoshi Kon's tragically small filmography that I'd never seen, so was a treat to catch this beautiful 4K restoration. A heartfelt and endlessly inventive love letter to cinema, inearly had me in tears by the end.

Always immensely frustrated that Kon died so early as he was clearly an incredible force of nature. I rate his work far higher than Ghibli myself. Much more of a progressive. Miyazaki fetishisizes certain aspects of production in a way that's very conservative - in that predictable Japanese way. 

He makes beautiful films, but the way he is obsessed with naturalism at the exception of all else has a lot of drawbacks. The way Kon's storyboarding transfers into some truly mindbending animation is the kind of thing I can't ever imagine Ghibli doing. They sure do animate a good bowl of ramen being eaten though.

Even something like MA, which is going for a more cinematic and grounded approach still has flights of fantasy so beautifully achieved by animation in a way that film couldn't manage that I am sure has old man Hayao throwing his pens around in rage. "It is unnatural therefore it is a sin!"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What tempy said.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    25. The Call of the Wild

Reasonably enjoyable adventure although the CGI dog is almost as distracting as Ford.

[6]

26. Dark Encounter

Intriguing low-budget family disapperance mystery which unfortunately starts and ends really poorly.

[5]
  • Sonic The Hedgehog

I really enjoyed this, they did a great job with the character and I was totally charmed.
    Can’t wait to watch it again with the kids
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’m watching it with the kids tonight cos they actually want to see it. The things I’ll do for the kids.
  • 16. Pacific Rim Uprising - 6 Mar
    I continue to watch any shit on Netflix. This was pointless and gash. Bad plot, terrible exposition, and not even enough giant kaiju and fights to be entertaining.
    [4]
  • Ah that reminds me. I also watched

Pacific Rim Uprising

It was mildly entertaining. But the first film was great and it’s about giant robots smashing giant monsters. It shouldn’t be just “mildly entertaining”

It was a sequel that need not exist
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 51. Gerald's Game
    Wife battles inner demons and a bed in this Stephen King adaptation. 7

52. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
    Keanu still kicking ass in this well worn but still thrilling formula. 8

Special mention for the amount of active reloading in JW3. Magically replenishing mags in action films does grate.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 18. Dolittle. Did little for me, but the boy seemed to enjoy it, and the girl was interested for a bit too.

19. Dark Waters. Dark and soapy, and poisonous. Need to throw some pans out, just in case. Good film, didn't know about the case.

20. Jumanji: The Next Level. Mindless trash, but a reasonably enjoyable adventure nonetheless.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Webbins wrote:
    51. Gerald's Game Wife battles inner demons and a bed in this Stephen King adaptation. 7

Thought that was the Pixar short, Geri's Game for a mo. Was not how I remembered it!

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 17. Sonic the Hedgehog - 7 Mar
    Took the kids to see this. Actually kept my attention. Carrey is as annoying as ever, but there was one funny moment and it was mildly entertaining. Kids loved it.
    [5]
  • This is either 2 or 3, can't remember if I've watched anything since True Romance.

Blockers - gross out comedy that's far better than the premise suggests. The premise is 3 parents trying to stop their kids losing their virginity on prom night. John Cena is a brilliant comedic presence.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Blockers was actually surprisingly good. I was expecting something of an Adam Sandler level.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's much better than it had any right to be. A solid 6.
  • 53. Maniac (2012)
    Interesting remake sees nutjob mannequin man Elijah Wood desperately seeking scalps. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I keep skipping Blockers but it could be a solid early Sunday viewing if it's getting some rep.
  • Webbins wrote:
    53. Maniac (2012)
    Interesting remake sees nutjob mannequin man Elijah Wood desperately seeking scalps. 7

I really like this movie, I think it is made by casting Elijah Wood.

• 18. Booksmart - 7 Mar
    Had this on my watchlist for a bit. Coming of age teenage high school comedy drama thing that reminded me a lot of Superbad. Just not as funny or memorable, but still good.
    [8]
  • 54. Blockers
    Entertaining, eager kids vs. overbearing parents, coming of age comedy. 7
  • How to Build a Girl
    Caitlin Moran’s enormous ego: the movie. I fucking loved it. Nothing challenging, but smart, funny and heartwarming.
  • Blockers and Booksmart were both great imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!