Movie record 2020 edition
  • 32. The Past - 28 Mar
    My 3rd Asghar Farhadi film, didn’t enjoy it as much as A Separation or The Salesman, but still a good family drama film. His films seem to be steeped in so much realism and always relatable, creating a lot of empathy for the characters. There are a couple more of his films I want to see.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Webbins wrote:

66. Manchester by the Sea
    Excellent reflective drama based on grief and redemption. Strong Casey Affleck performance. 9

That would get a big fat 9 fron me too. Might be my favourite film of the last decade, although I'm probably forgetting something.

Manchester was my favourite film of that year. Just stunning stuff. Saw it after it was nominated for Oscars so the screening has some people who probably wouldn't have seen it.
    Spoiler:
    They said at the end. Cue facepalm.

And Deer I thought similar. The stilted delivery is kind of his style which works for me until a point. I think I'd love those films if they were a bit shorter. I tend to be done before he is. If you haven't already, watch The Favourite. It's excellent and the acting is a more normal style.
  • Yep cheers will watch The Favourite. How was The Lobster?
  • The Lobster is similar to Deer although not quite as dark. Similar stilted delivery though and same thing for me where I was ready for it to be over before it was. Still worth a watch.
  • 67. Raising Arizona
    Zany babynapping Coen comedy. Cute performance from Hunter and a vintage Cage. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The Good Liar
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren hamming it up. You know there’s a twist coming … but fuck me, it wasn’t the one I expected.
    Spoiler:
  • 54. Midway - 7
    Decent war film.

55. Ghost - 7
    Hadn't seen this in about 25 years, enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

56. The House - 5
    Run of the mill Will Ferrell comedy. Was ok.

57. The Incredible Journey - 7
    Live action Disney movie from 1963 about two dogs and a cat that embark on a Journey across Canada to their home. Hadn't seen this since I was a kid, thanks Disney+. Decent but I've probably over rated it because of the sentiment.

58. The Lady and the Tramp - 6
    A half decent remake, I think your better off sticking with the animated one though.

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I watched most of Ghost again the other day. Massive fan.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, it was a potter's wheel.
  • Haha
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Ditto.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Knives Out
    Rian Johnson directs an all-star cast, attempting to make a modern Agatha Christie. Ends up making a Colombo pastiche. Fun, though.
  • 68. Backdraft
    William Baldwin smoulders and Russell crackles in this fiery brotherly firemen drama. 7

69. A Cock and Bull Story
    Coogan and Brydon star as themselves in this film within a film. 7
  • The Backdraft "ride" at Universal is still fun. I went to the one in Japan a couple of years ago, solid dubbing.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    38. Force Majore

Uncomfortable relationship drama set during a family skiing holiday in the French Alps.

[8]

(This also made me angry at the fools who were responsible for spreading coronavirus.)
  • The Backdraft "ride" at Universal is still fun.

I remember really enjoying the LA one when I was a teenager. I think it was quite new back then. Basically a warehouse that you walk into with a tour guide, which then sets on fire. You’re standing up on a steel catwalk  and at one point the whole catwalk drops on hydraulics, as if it’s collapsing into the fire.
  • Yeah that's it. Has a behind the scenes section as well about movie making. It's dated AF but I still love it. It's weird they haven't updated it to some modern blockbuster
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Backdraft "ride" at Universal is still fun.

That sounds so much like a meet and greet with harvey
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    39. The Silence

Beautifully shot and quite intriguing, if somewhat dissatisfying, relationship and emotional isolation drama.

[7]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    First Love - Man this film moves.  Richly entertaining from the off and with several memorable characters played just the right side of ridiculous.  Shame about the fights, which lack impact outside of the actual boxing scenes and slightly neuter what should be climactic brawls.  [8]

The Man From Laramie - Got to love Jimmy and I enjoyed the father/son stuff going on, even if the son was a bit OTT.  I'm no advocate for child murder but shooting donkeys is really crossing the line.  [7]

Dead or Alive 2: Tobosha - That opening scene with the cigarette packets cracked me up.  The tonal shifts and unpredictability, while fun, work against any attempt at heartfelt emotion.  It does still manage some sweet nostalgia though.  [6]

Rope - One I admired more than enjoyed as it felt quite mechanical and stagey.  [6]

Dead or Alive - Aside from the frenetic opening and cartoonish ending it was surprisingly boring.  Miike stamps his mark over every scene, often in fun ways, but one stomach-churning moment of sadism saw my good will evaporate.  I should probably research his films more thoroughly before watching as I'm not really up for his more extreme perversions.  [3]
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I caught The Silence last night before it left Mubi.  Had similar thoughts.  Not really my kind of thing (entertain me dammit!) but I found myself quite involved by the time the sisters' resentment bubbled over.  Impressive given the, er, silence of the preceding hour or so.
  • 33. Escape Plan - 28 Mar
    Arnie and Stallone prison escape flick. Didn’t have high expectations for this but it turned out to be pretty enjoyable albeit typical. 
    [6]

34. Amour - 29 Mar
    Another French family drama with no background music. An elderly couple’s lives become strenuous and difficult when the wife becomes ill and the husband takes care of her. Very touching, reminded me of my mum and dad before he passed away. 
    [8]

35. Platoon - 29 Mar
    Not as good as I remember. There are better war films but this does still hit you with the horrors of war etc.
    [7]

36. The Fugitive - 30 Mar
    Typically Hollywood film. Harrison Ford is good but Tommy Lee Jones is on top form.
    [7]
  • 24 movies in March. Yikes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Amour is a phenomenal film. So unHollyhood in its approach.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    40. Chaotic Ana

Pretentious but genuinely creative drama exploring art, humanity and recollection of past lives.

[6]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Julio Medem is the worst director in the universe.
  • 56. Logan Lucky
    Not as tightly put together as Oceans 11 but still a lot of fun. Nice to have a movie where the characters all get along for the most part, no snark. Adam Driver is infinitely watchable too.
    [8]
  • 70. Searching
    Unique and original missing person thriller that plays out entirely on computer and phone screens. 8

71. Empire Records
    Cult 90s time capsule centred on hip record store, its assorted teenage employees and father figure boss. 7
  • 21. Richard Jewell. Interesting story, I have very little memory of the Olympic bombing incident but this was a good telling of the ridiculous approach that the FBI took to solving the crime.

22. Sonic the Hedgehog. Actually not bad really. The kids loved it.

23. Hustlers. Bag or irredeemable shite. It may well be based on a true story, but it's a story of shits.

24. Pinocchio. Absolute classic, and the kids enjoyed it too.

25. The Gentlemen. Very Guy Ritchie, which isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

26. Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Compelling viewing, a beautifully shot tale of love and loss.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Late Night
    Light comedy with Emma Thompson as a US chat show host. A nothing film, but worth watching for scenes of Emma Thompson doing stand up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!