Things That Should Die With This Gen
  • beano wrote:
    Manuals - can get to fuck, in the age of UX.

I honestly thought they had.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    And by extension, any kind of guide. That's what GameFAQs is for. And it's free.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:

But what will I read when I get the game home and need a poop?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Anything but.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Aren't manuals already dead?
  • beano wrote:

But what will I read when I get the game home and need a poop?
    They should print novels on toilet paper.
  • But what will I read when I get the game home and need a poop?

Back of the box. If that's too short, you're taking too long to poop.
  • AJ wrote:
    Back of the box. If that's too short, you're taking too long to poop.
    I like to be sure. Plus toilet time is one of the few things we have left in this crazy world.
  • Surely you should be doing something better with it than reading a fucking game manual, then?
  • Do what I want in poop time, that's the joy of it. Read a manual, browse internet, stare into space, little nap. Whatever.
  • A rash of different special editions exclusive to each retail and internet chain that ever existed. If you have to do a special edition, do ONE special edition that includes ALL the extra DLC. And stop making £100+ special editions with statues in them because all they do is stop the dust settling on the shelves behind Game's counter.
  • I'll echo the earlier comments – manuals have already died. It's been a long, long while since we've had a manual that was a joy to have and to read. The one that always sticks out in my mind is the one that came with Elite on the C64. It created the backstory of the universe while explaining how to play. The pages describing all the different ships, cargo types, etc were good, solid, sci-fi writings. It filled in the gaps left by the simple vector graphics. 

I'm sure this is a topic that's been covered before, however. 

So, erm, things that can die this gen? Loading. There's too much loading. I'm looking at the Fallout games in particular. I gave up on New Vegas because the loading was just ridiculous. I spent too much time browsing the internet on my phone while travelling around the world. Pissed me right off when I would fast-travel to a location (loading) then appear outside the door of the compound that I'd have to enter (loading) then have ONE conversation and be off to another location (more loading). Fuuuuuuck off. It breaks the immersion like nothing else.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm talking anything that's got the control map printed on.

Also game guides.
  • Depends on the game. I've used guides for GTA: SA and Oblivion. Have the Skyrim one but I barely use it. I only dig them out when I'm doing something off the beaten track, or trying to get a couple of very specific items.
  • Tacked on multiplayer as a tick box exercise to help flog clearly single-player designed games to the gullible masses.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Tacked on multiplayer as a tick box exercise to help flog clearly single-player designed games to the gullible masses.
    Agreed, specifically the likes of ME3, TLOU and games of that ilk. Conversely, tacked on single player for multiplayer games. Battlefield games I'm talking to you. Have a single player mode for learning the maps and vehicles but drop the story bollocks.
  • beano wrote:
    I'm talking anything that's got the control map printed on. Also game guides.

Yeah game guides can fuck off.  I don't want the whole experience spoiled by an expensive book thank you very much.
  • Chief wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned ludicrous digital (over)pricing?

That's got to be #1 for next gen if we're going to move towards digital. Don't understand the logic behind FIFA being £59.99 on PSN and £34.99-£49.99 pretty much anywhere else. I want to be rewarded for not buying the box/manual/disc, not punished.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    beano wrote:

Yeah game guides can fuck off.  I don't want the whole experience spoiled by an expensive book thank you very much.

Don't buy 'em, they're big so quite easy to avoid
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    loxdog wrote:
    Chief wrote:

That's got to be #1 for next gen if we're going to move towards digital. Don't understand the logic behind FIFA being £59.99 on PSN and £34.99-£49.99 pretty much anywhere else. I want to be rewarded for not buying the box/manual/disc, not punished.
    yep, I can't quite grasp the concept of being punished for buying online. The system for consoles is fucked at the moment. They need to allow competition, let other online retailers sell game codes that you redeem through the respective console shops.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Plan_XIII wrote:
    beano wrote:
    Don't buy 'em, they're big so quite easy to avoid

This is a thread for having a moan!  And a lot of things in this can be avoided.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    beano wrote:

Use for second playthrough? Nice art? Developer interviews etc? Mine look great on the shelf. I live browsing one now and then to look at screenshots, remind myself of the game etc. Nice game guides are brilliant.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • To be honest Elf, you do make a fine point.  My brother bought the Fallout 3 guide AFTER he had played it and I read though it, was extremely interesting and contained some lovely artwork.

So yeah, Game Guides can stay I guess.
  • Agreed on the digital pricing thing. But, that said, I've only bought NBA 2k13 and Halo 4 for half-price which was worth it. It's a bit insane when you see the COD:MW games still at full price a year later. And a full-price that's MORE than what I paid...
  • I know the point of the thread is having a moan It's just yours seemed kinda weird cos it's not really like game guides actively spoil anything unless you buy and read them unless maybe they're sentient down your neck of the woods in which case god bless you and I recommend taking a lighter with you wherever you go to ward them off
  • Tempy wrote:
    I know the point of the thread is having a moan It's just yours seemed kinda weird cos it's not really like game guides actively spoil anything unless you buy and read them unless maybe they're sentient down your neck of the woods in which case god bless you and I recommend taking a lighter with you wherever you go to ward them off

Haha fair enough.
  • And someone said manuals earlier - they don't actively spoil anything but you didn't have a go at them.

I'm off for a cry.
  • loxdog wrote:
    Chief wrote:

You're paying a premium for the convenience of not having to go out and buy it, getting it immediately etc. Plus I'd imagine there's a degree of pressure from retailers too. They all go under overnight if you could buy the same stuff instantly online for the same price. 

Totally agree, but can't see this changing, especially with all this insta-play stuff promised for next gen making it more attractive.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!