Things That Should Die With This Gen
  • Does that mean game specific Wikis? Minecraft and FFXI aside those always seem to be empty.

All the ones I've looked at seemed to be brimming with info, I guess that could just be the games I looked up, though. They tend to be hosted on Wikia (though not always) so I'm guessing that's where the kids hang out these days.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    Battlefield 3 is particularly sad because very few people actually had high expectations, so there was a rare opportunity to do something different and experimental. Instead they do a shinier COD campaign.
    Yep, they could have done something interesting. How about you are actually just a soldier, and the world doesn't revolve around you. You just have to ensure you continue to exist in it. Follow orders and keep your head down.
    Yeah, I've wanted that for a while. I think one of the Battlefields might have done that very thing, you decided who to control, be it a sniper on a hill or a chopper pilot, and switched between them at will or (brace yourself Goober) when you got a guy killed.

It doesn't just have to be for the modern military shooter either, crap like Ryse would have benefitted from this approach, and would have been a much better representation of a Roman legionary. Pro Tip: they weren't one man wrecking balls, quite the opposite in fact.

Basically, I don't always want to play the hero saving the world single handedly, sometimes it would be nice to be just one part of a bigger machine.
  • Manuals must stay.  I love manuals.  Shit manuals can go:

Manuals Printed in Every Language Known to Man
    I got excited when I saw how thick you were, full of glorious unimportant detail, and glorious important detail, but instead it turns out that only two of your pages are in English.

Vita Digital Manuals Putting Standard Guff at the Start
    No, I don't want to have to skip past the first 12 pages every time I open a manual.

Manuals That Don't Have the Control Scheme on the Back Page
    Because it's clearly infinitely superior to be able to quickly glance at that than try to find it in your menu.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    If the game hasn't taught you the controls and you have to resort to a manual then the game is broken.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Wel, there are times when you may not go back for a week. At which point you may need a reminder as to what the controls are.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Pause-> Settings-> Controller Settings.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Seriously :/

I just see that as bad design.

Admittedly I've been flummoxed when coming back to a game before, worst is in multiplayer but it doesn't take long or should[n't] to get back into it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • monkey wrote:
    Pause-> Settings-> Controller Settings.
    Unfortunately that doesn't always tell you all the buttons, often it is just look sensitivity and/or inversion.
  • On this note.
    Control schemes that aren't 100% customisable.
  • beano wrote:
    Seriously :/ I just see that as bad design. Admittedly I've been flummoxed when coming back to a game before, worst is in multiplayer but it doesn't take long or should[n't] to get back into it.

A couple of times when I went back to TLoU I had to re-acclimatise myself to the controls, and their 'tutorials' menu is a bugger to look through.
  • On this note. Control schemes that aren't 100% customisable.

I'm not left handed, but this would be good for left handed people, if they so wished. They could map the face buttons to the D-pad.
  • Good if you switch between two similar games too. Finding 'crouch' on COD after playing Halo for a month can be a bit odd.

If the buttons function the same then I don't see why the can't be switched.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I am all for customisable controls.
  • Oh and
    No colourblind mode
    Again not hard to code just let us choose from a few different colours/symbols rather than sticking with red/green (the most common form of colour blindness iirc).
  • I think over entitled gamers should die with this gen... Since the PS3 and 360 came out every dick decided they were a game designer/developer and talk about "broken games" whilst nit picking every odd inch of game instead of just enjoying it... As a result I think actual game developers have become less and less brave and experimental with their releases in fear of it not playing like every other fucking game on the planet.  Don't get me wrong I am not saying release unfinished shite... but there is a reason shit like Assassins Creed. Cod etc are getting shat out every 15 minutes with no real change or progression to the mechanics.  I think the emphasis on Indy development could help a bit... With a bit of luck we'll be seeing more games like Minecraft, World of Goo and Braid.... but on the same coin with larger production costs on the mainstream I am sure nothing will change.

And I know everyone has said it, but I want cheats and unlocks back... ones that don't cost the price of a micro transaction. Goldeneye multiplayer would have been cock back in the day if we had to have payed for all those gameplay buffers with cash.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Oh and No colourblind mode Again not hard to code just let us choose from a few different colours/symbols rather than sticking with red/green (the most common form of colour blindness iirc).

Some people may never play Thomas was Alone as a result.
  • Oh and racists... why the hell don't racists get banned from Online gaming? Racists can fucking die.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    I'm not left handed, but this would be good for left handed people, if they so wished. They could map the face buttons to the D-pad.
    As a lefty, it's really not that big a deal for me. I'm used to playing the normal way. If anything, it was weird that game pads always had the control pad on the left in the first place.

Still, might as well have fully customisable controls all the same.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Steam Controller looks to be the answer to your prayers
  • The Steam controller looks like the answer to Cthulu's prayers.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Collectables - feathers, flasks, tags, pigeons... pointless trinkets always seductively attached to an achievement or trophy. If you want me to explore every inch of the game world, make it compelling, make your story lead me to all corners of the world.

This. I'd even go as far as asking for an overhaul of the achievement system -- a lot of them are essentially pieces of design that come from outside the game's systems, influencing player behaviour in negative ways within the game's systems. I think this article does a great job at explaining the negative impact a lot of achievements can have on player behaviour.
  • How about multiple types of achievement?  Was playing Child of Light earlier in the year and there were ludicrous points in the game where you'd get an Xbox Achievement immediately followed by a Uplay Achievement!  Not like I was doing anything special either, just playing the game normally.

My own fault for installing Uplay in the first place.  It shouldn't even be a thing though.  I only installed it because I got sick of Trials bugging me about it every time I loaded up the game.  Should just stop buying Ubi games until they stop being dickheads.  Presumably EA will push it even further until people start whinging enough.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Unlockable characters in fighting games.

Capcom learned from SFIV and got rid for evey iteration after, but SNK and ArcSys keep at it.
  • Square Enix. They're a dysfunctional corpse anyway. Just sell the rights to Bravely Default to Nintendo and GTFO.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • unskipable /unpausable cut scenes
  • unskipable /unpausable cut scenes

Add to that forced slow walks through high-def assets for no purpose. Main offenders as a reference point: Uncharted, Assassins Creed.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    unskipable /unpausable cut scenes

Does that include ones that pretend not to be cutscenes by letting you jump up and down in a locked room or look left and right while someone spouts exposition? If so, I agree.
  • I think everyone should play the game with default controls. Having said that, fully customisable controls should be in all games and covered by the same law that puts wheelchair ramps in front of shops.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Vela wrote:
    unskipable /unpausable cut scenes
    Add to that forced slow walks through high-def assets for no purpose. Main offenders as a reference point: Uncharted, Assassins Creed.
    Yeah, that's actually already replaced the unskippable cutscene in most cases. It's like people didn't want the story so rather than let us avoid it they find other ways to sneak it in.

It's the gaming equivalent of trying to get a kid to eat its greens. Except veg is good for you.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They also hide load times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!