Things That Should Die With This Gen
  • Has anyone mentioned ludicrous digital (over)pricing?
  • Playstation Home - And every single thing to do with it.
  • Playstation Home - And every single thing to do with it.

Even the running man?
  • Everyone moaning about stuff in this thread.
    None of this stuff was anywhere near as bad as we all thought!  Gaming's never been better.  Day 1 patches?  Well, on the 360 they take about 6 seconds to download.  Assassin's Creed?  Some of us like it!  Loading screens?  I didn't see one after starting GTA V!  Monitors?  I'm not checking my emails on Oculus Rift!

Adkm's right, get rid of stupid, failing, non-replaceable batteries, keep everything else the same, and the next gen'll be awesome!
  • Elmlea
    For unwelcome serious positivity.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The batteries thing is just going the way of non-replaceable batteries. More controllers can be sold that way.
  • I'M NOT CHECKING EMAILS ON MY OCULUS RIFT
  • Play and Charge kits over non replaceable rechargeables over AA's. This is the order of things.
  • Why would I want a rechargeable battery that's fuck all use for anything but one sodding controller, when it could be powered by rechargeable batteries that are useful for loads of other things, and usually last longer between charges, and guarantee never ever having to wait for a controller to charge or play with a cable?  I can never get my head around this.
  • I'm sure that some kind of class action suit could be filed against the companies if they won't replace the batteries for a reasonable price.

Note: I do prefer AAs.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Are you American AJ?
  • Nope, very British.

Can we not file class action suits over here?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think I have any use for batteries apart from in xbox controllers. There might be one in the tv remote but it's been in there for literally years. Hence I prefer a rechargeable controller. If it does go dead during some multiplayer session in the middle of the night at last I can plug the cable in.
  • But if it all went towards AA's there would be Official Xbox One AA Batteries. Much like there's an Official Xbox 360 HDMI Cable and an Official Xbox 360 USB Stick. Surely that's worse?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    keep everything else the same, and the next gen'll be awesome!

Call of Duty 9. Crysis 6. Assassin's Creed 12.

Don't think I'll bother tbh.

Oculus Rift however.....
  • Play and Charge kits over non replaceable rechargeables over AA's. This is the order of things.

... and when the battery finally dies, your Play and Charge kit is just a wired controller.  When the non-replaceable one dies, it's useless and goes in the bin.

When the £5 rechargable AAs stop holding a charge, you just sling them away and spend £5 on more; which, as adkm says, can also go in a camera, or a TV remote, or a little torch, or your wireless mouse, or an alarm clock, or anything you like.  Plus, you can have a nearly unlimited amount of them, so you never have to wait for one to charge...?

Why on earth is a non-replaceable battery; regardless of whether it can be charged when you play; better?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    keep everything else the same, and the next gen'll be awesome!
    Call of Duty 9. Crysis 6. Assassin's Creed 12. Don't think I'll bother tbh. Oculus Rift however.....

If Assassin's Creed 12 is as good as numbers 4-11 then that's fine.  Oculus Rift is just an excuse to play shovelware, a bit like the Wiimote was, surely?
  • Because it's a rechargeable battery.
  • They're all rechargeable batteries.
  • But if it all went towards AA's there would be Official Xbox One AA Batteries. Much like there's an Official Xbox 360 HDMI Cable and an Official Xbox 360 USB Stick. Surely that's worse?
    Not at all.  I have the option to ignore those, and I do.  The same cannot be said for the batteries in my DualShock3s, or the one in my compact camera, or the one in my Kodak PlaySport.  However, the 360 controllers, telly remotes, clocks, wireless keyboard, wireless mice, milk frother etc. all take AAs, as will various other things I'll buy in my life.
  • Dante, you know that you get rechargeable AAs, right?
  • I'll rephrase - they're rechargeable batteries I can charge whilst I play.
  • Anyway, we're going off track here guys. Where's the welcome unfair bitching about stupid things we have no control over? Where's the FUN in this thread?!
  • Fun died with this gen.

:(

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You 32 g.man?
  • I'll rephrase - they're rechargeable batteries I can charge whilst I play.

FFS!

And because AA rechargables cost a fraction of the cost of a new controller, I can buy lots of them, and I can charge ALL OF THE OTHER ONES while I'm playing with one set.  

And again, if the batteries get old and stop holding their charge, I can throw them away and replace them for £5.  When your controller's battery dies, you throw it away and replace it for £60.
  • Pretending your view of the game is through an actual camera.

Lens flair was a nifty little show off trick once upon a time but now it is in every game I can remember playing this gen.  The joke has worn off.  Never mind when droplets of rain get on the pretend lens or dust or whatever.

The WHO IS THE REAL VILLAIN HERE Trick.

When you meet the villain at the final boss fight they will say 'Hey you killed 100's of henchman mercilessly to get to me and levelled a city, who'se the REAL bay guy hmm?' but you never had a choice about doing any of those things.  Maybe it started with the cake stealing joke in Chrono Trigger and got popular because of games like Braid to make you think about what kind of a person you are playing as.  Getting a bit sick of it.

Analogue buttons on normal control pads.

I think they're only good for car simulations, and people who are right into car simulations would probably be playing on a proper steering wheel.  In racing games I am always going full throttle.  For other genres it is just a squishy button that is more annoying to use than anything.

Gyroscopic thingys in normal control pads.

It just encourages software teams to do something with it and it's no good.

Dying in slow motion.

I don't like it when you muck up a mission and then die, but rather than having the option to Press X To Restart you character dies in slow motion and everything goes black and white.  There will be a shot from above your dead body slowly rotating 360 degrees sometimes and enemies will surround your corpse, sometimes still attacking you, sometimes spinning around on the spot before wandering off.  Meanwhile I am just mashing the button which ought to initiate the restart and saying assorted swear words in an assorted voice.  You can't make a harrowing moment out of the main character dying because you will just start again from around the previous corner and it will mean nothing once your going again.  Usually.

etc
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 3rd person games with a cover mechanic and look 'gritty'.  That's enough of that thanks.

manual updates to firmware every fucking week. piss off PS3 (now remedied with plus).

2d mario/nintendo platformers. boring as fuck
  • nintendo.  boring as fuck

Heh
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Manuals - can get to fuck, in the age of UX.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!