Things That Should Die With This Gen
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    And someone said manuals earlier - they don't actively spoil anything but you didn't have a go at them.

I'm off for a cry.

Manuals aren't avoidable if you buy a boxed game ;)

• I think the days of looking to a booklet for instructions on how to control a game are gone, but 'manuals' can be more like the booklets you get with albums. A wee prologue (if applicable), some shots of the staff making it, concept art, credits.
  • I coloured in all the badniks in my Sonic manuals
  • JRPC wrote:
    Tacked on multiplayer as a tick box exercise to help flog clearly single-player designed games to the gullible masses.
    Agreed, specifically the likes of ME3, TLOU and games of that ilk. Conversely, tacked on single player for multiplayer games. Battlefield games I'm talking to you. Have a single player mode for learning the maps and vehicles but drop the story bollocks.

ME3, I agree with, but TLOU I can't. It's too good and too well thought out to be tacked on. Needs a little more balance and a lot more maps, but it feels like it's taking place in the same world as the SP. For me, the worst offender by far was Spec Ops: The Line. Even the devs admit they hated having to make it! And BF3's single player was utterly shite, yes. Though I really, really miss Bad Company's squad. Haggard is a legend.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Pre owned being the same price as, or one or two quid cheaper than a brand new copy. That can fuck right off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think mega drive manuals let the console down. They're a disgrace
  • It's all about the retailers, you're not paying for the convenience at all. Hell, if I wanted Saints Row 4 right now, it'd be quicker to pop 'round the corner to Sainsbury's than wait for it to download.

Edit: whoops, there's a whole extra page here. Well, I'm on my tablet, so can't be bothered to sort out a quote.
  • Pre owned being the same price as, or one or two quid cheaper than a brand new copy. That can fuck right off.

Seconded.  I hate popping into GAME to find out they're selling a new copy of GTA V for £40 and right next to it is a pre-owned copy for £38.

I mean, WHAAAA?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think mega drive manuals let the console down. They're a disgrace

Words of a guy who didn't colour in his badniks
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Depends on the game. I've used guides for GTA: SA and Oblivion. Have the Skyrim one but I barely use it. I only dig them out when I'm doing something off the beaten track, or trying to get a couple of very specific items.

Only digging them out questions the investment when there's gamefaqs, like.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I coloured my badniks every night once my parents went to bed if you get what I'm saying Tempy old buddy
  • JRPC wrote:
    Tacked on multiplayer as a tick box exercise to help flog clearly single-player designed games to the gullible masses.
    Agreed, specifically the likes of ME3, TLOU and games of that ilk. Conversely, tacked on single player for multiplayer games. Battlefield games I'm talking to you. Have a single player mode for learning the maps and vehicles but drop the story bollocks.
    Battlefield 3 is particularly sad because very few people actually had high expectations, so there was a rare opportunity to do something different and experimental. Instead they do a shinier COD campaign.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Depends on the game. I've used guides for GTA: SA and Oblivion. Have the Skyrim one but I barely use it. I only dig them out when I'm doing something off the beaten track, or trying to get a couple of very specific items.
    I

not everyone has internet.

• beano wrote:

I'll elaborate. You can't beat a book for browsing, so when I'm looking for something a bit different to do in a world as large as those mentioned, it's nice to be able to pick out a few places to check out, or missions to do that I'd have otherwise ignored. 

I do still use gamefaqs for quick answers.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Battlefield 3 is particularly sad because very few people actually had high expectations, so there was a rare opportunity to do something different and experimental. Instead they do a shinier COD campaign.
    Yep, they could have done something interesting. How about you are actually just a soldier, and the world doesn't revolve around you. You just have to ensure you continue to exist in it. Follow orders and keep your head down.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I'll elaborate. You can't beat a book for browsing, so when I'm looking for something a bit different to do in a world as large as those mentioned, it's nice to be able to pick out a few places to check out, or missions to do that I'd have otherwise ignored.  I do still use gamefaqs for quick answers.

I know nothing of this world with a physical guide to browse. SPanks spoilers as said. Maybe I should buy a guide and see how I feel as opposed to being a fascist.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • It depends on the game. Useful in massive Bethesda RPGs. Can't see how it would be worth it in Gears of War or COD:MW.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Plan_XIII wrote:
    What are badniks?

What your scrotum holds
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Loose change?
  • You're lying Reg.  Just found out what they are.

Enemies in Sonic have always been a bit crap IMO.
  • They are though.  Mario's enemies are far cooler and everyone knows what a Koopa Trooper is.

A fucking BADNIK?!  How long has Sonic been around and that's the first time I've heard that word.
  • Too much quoting and actual adult conversation going on here. Allow me..

Final Fantasy games - Now I'm not denying Squeenix the right to make a fuckload of RPG's where a young lad comes of age in a time of war, but can you please stop naming them that way? You're leading these poor grown men on. Be a bit different. Design some actually new characters. They've been riding the coat tails of VII for too long, and it needs to stop. It's just like the yearly Call Of Duty, except it's not yearly! Fack orf!
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    They are though.  Mario's enemies are far cooler and everyone knows what a Koopa Trooper is. A fucking BADNIK?!  How long has Sonic been around and that's the first time I've heard that word.

You clearly didn't buy the games, read the comic and watch the cartoon.

I actually have an issue with GameFAQ's in that it's usually badly written, unclear and we have 4 guides that are almost identical so which one are you supposed to fucking use?
  • You clearly didn't buy the games

You're right, I never owned a MegaDrive.  But I did borrow one for a week and played Sonic 1 & 2 to death.
    read the comic

Correct.
    watch the cartoon

Correct.
  • Beano's showing his age with the GameFAQs reference. It's all about Wikia these days.
  • Does that mean game specific Wikis? Minecraft and FFXI aside those always seem to be empty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They are though.  Mario's enemies are far cooler and everyone knows what a Koopa Trooper is. A fucking BADNIK?!  How long has Sonic been around and that's the first time I've heard that word.
    You clearly didn't buy the games, read the comic and watch the cartoon. I actually have an issue with GameFAQ's in that it's usually badly written, unclear and we have 4 guides that are almost identical so which one are you supposed to fucking use?

I've used FAQs for many games, and its all been fine. Usually by spending 30 seconds to glance at the various FAQs you can work out which suits best. Stop being lazy, lazy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!