GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • AJ wrote:
    If I don't give a final decision by the deadline, remove all my votes; I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble ordering Saints, Stanley and Gone Home.

Nope, I'm keeping your votes as is. Currently no SRIV or Gone Home in there, dude. Its Stanley, Steamworld, Device and AC:NL in that order. Wanna change?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @cindemon / others: not a problem resubmitting. It takes me a matter of seconds to update someone's list. 

Can you update mine to put Mario 3D World at number 2 please elf?

Updated. I've moved others along. So it's currently Zelda, Mario, Luigi, Rayman, and Belmont. I mean Castlevania. Kosher?
  • I've updated the list. Mario leapfrogs 2 places to 4th. Metro LL makes a huge jump thanks to GOTY vote from Dark Soldier.
  • Fire Emblem is the winner!
  • Ah, if I have to.

1. Gone Home
    2. The Stanley Parable
    3. Saints Row IV
    4. Device 6
    5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Gone Home, despite not catching the imagination as much as Stanley, wins because it managed to elicit actual feelings other than amusement. Both are excellent examples of the interactive fiction genre which I've always loved.

Saints Row, as I've said, is just a really well made combination of stuff that's been done plenty before.

Special mention for The Stanley Parable demo for being a complete experience in it's own right and damned funny at that. If I could be bothered to argue the case for a demo being included, I'd put it in ahead of Animal Crossing.

If I'd had time to actually play Pokémon properly, it might have beaten Animal Crossing which I actually hate but can't stop playing.

Steamworld, unfortunately has been disqualified by being a port of a 2012 game.
  • Predictable final list!

5. Papers, Please
    4. Fire Emblem
    3. Pokemon X/Y
    2. GTAV

1. The Last Of Us

Still haven't played Tearaway or Device 6 which could have been contenders and not that far into Fire Emblem or it could have been higher. Special mention to BioShock for somehow not making it in when I thought it'd have been a dead cert.
  • Same here, I really liked Bioshock. 

My final list:

Last of Us - amazing 
    Mario - really good
    Zelda - good but not quite great
    Tearaway - full of charm and great ideas 
    Gone Home - good exposition and subject/matter

Special mentions:
    Bioshock - I like what Levine tried to do with story/characters 
    Tomb Raider - a blast and looks lovely 
    Revengeance - I like my brawlers. So cool and replayable
    Stanley Parable - witty, clever, great concept.
  • 1. The Last of Us
    2.Tearaway
    3. State of Decay
    4. The Wolf Among Us
    5. Defiance.
  • Pheee-ew, I like the cut o' ya jib, kid. Leavin' it 'til the last minute like that? You got balls, I'm tellin' ya. Swannin' around with your hat brim down over your peepers, chewin' on that toothpick, swingin' your watch chain like you ain't got a care in the world, and then you's all, "What's that? One minute to go? A minute's all I need, fella." And BAM! Five choices just outta thin air after all these other schmoes been frettin' for all o' twenty-eight pages like they don't know their own thoughts. But not you, no sir, not you. Swell guy, real swell now. *whistles*
  • Good stuff. I will declare the surprise winner on Monday. Start placing your bets.
  • No need for thanks, dude, I like it. I don't hide her fact that I like lists!!

Thanks to all the contributors, though. Looks like I need to bump Fire Emblem up my Pile O' Shame priority list.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    @cindemon / others: not a problem resubmitting. It takes me a matter of seconds to update someone's list. 

Can you update mine to put Mario 3D World at number 2 please elf?

Updated. I've moved others along. So it's currently Zelda, Mario, Luigi, Rayman, and Belmont. I mean Castlevania. Kosher?

Thats correct, cheers elf.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just make sure Fire Emblem wins, Elf.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • That's all folks.
  • Good work Elf!

Quite suprised a PS3 exclusive beat the multi-platform GTAV, who'da thunk a Vita exclusive would make the top 5 as well.
  • For anyone, like me, who doesn't usually go and look at the first post for new stuff because it makes no sense:

FINAL STANDING
    Last of Us 200
    GTAV 142
    Fire Emblem 84
    Super Mario 3D World 72
    Tearaway 65
    Zelda: ALBW 51
    Rayman Legends 43
    Tomb Raider 38
    Saints Row IV 31
    Stanley Parable 20
    Resogun 20
    Ni No Kuni 20
    Metro: Last Light 18
    Bioshock Infinite 18
    Forza 5 16
    FIFA 14 15
    Gone Home 13
    Papers, Please 13
    Lego City Undercover 12
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf 12
    Sturmwind 11
    GRID 2 10
    Salty Bet 10
    War Thunder 10
    Wonderful 101 9
    State of Decay 9
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 7
    Gears of War: Judgement 7
    Plants vs Zombies 2 7
    Splinter Cell: Blacklist 7
    Luigi's Mansion 2 4
    Don't Starve 4
    PES 2014 4
    Pikmin 3 4
    Remember Me 4
    Castle of Illusion 4
    Pokemon X/Y 4
    Wolf Among Us 2
    Device 6 2
    Battlefield 4 2
    Guacamelee 2
    Lego Marvel 2
    Call of Juarex: Gunslinger 2
    Defiance 1
    Castlevania: LoS : Mirror of Fate 1
    Bike Rider DX 1

Those who voted
    hylian_elf
    indigo
    mistercrayon
    boris
    mk64
    PlanXIII
    tigerswiftly
    Bob
    rickjoyce
    Vela
    Kazuo
    Ali
    Dogfingers
    acemuzzy
    Moot_Geeza
    Dynamite
    AJ
    adored
    Gremill
    Stopharage
    Roujin
    revelthedog
    liveinadive
    krs
    Curtis
    Birdorf
    daviedigi
    stormyskies
    SpaceGazelle
    Syph79
    GooberTheHat
    stonechalice
    Webbins
    JMW
    monkey
    beano
    Bojangles
    retroking1981
    Arkady
    three1ne
    Optimark_Prime
    WorKid
    Chief
    davyK
    JonB
    cindemon
    Dark Soldier
    TheDJR
    Diluted Dante
    Gonzo
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Go Sturmwind!!

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @AJ. Thanks! Slipped my mind to put it here too.
  • Can't say I agree with the top spot (don't understand they hype surrounding TLOU) but fair play, it's still nice to see a lot of titles in there that wouldn't normally get any attention.
  • Chief wrote:
    Can't say I agree with the top spot (don't understand they hype surrounding TLOU) but fair play, it's still nice to see a lot of titles in there that wouldn't normally get any attention.

Have you played it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not having had any personal experience of heroin didn't seem to stop you dismissing that as an experience, Dante.
  • @Dante Yeah, just felt like the same ideas repeated, again and again. I won't go into it as I don't want the thread going off on a tangent, but I guess I just didn't see what everyone else seemed to see.
  • Fuck off Yoss.

Pop into the TLOU thread Chief.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Good work Elf!

Quite suprised a PS3 exclusive beat the multi-platform GTAV, who'da thunk a Vita exclusive would make the top 5 as well.

Reeks of fanboy.

Anyway, despite what this list says, we all know GTAV is the best game released in 2013.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck off Yoss.

Fair play, I probably deserved that.
  • My top three were the actual final top three, I guess that means that I have the best opinion.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!