GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • Ignore Yosssss he's just arguing for the sake of it 

again

obviously GOTY 2013 should only include games originally released in 2013, regardless of other factors (conversions, re-releases etc)

If you want a GIETMTY 2013, then what are you waiting for, new thread ahoy
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Ignore Yosssss he's just arguing for the sake of it

You think I'm not?
  • Maybe there's an arguement for waiting a bit longer than January to do these things.

Within the next few months I'll do Mario and Last of Us and they could both be 1 or 2 for all I know. Yet I won't be allowed to put them in GOTY 2014.

Then again Last of Us being so high up in this thread is the reason I now want to play it and isn't that the whole point of the thread. A guide if you will of the games we should play that were released in 2013.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We should probably be doing GOTY 2012 right now.
  • AJ wrote:
    We should probably be doing GOTY 2012 right now.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. Oh wait...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • AJ wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    You think I'm not?

I thought you'd add a full stop to my sentences
  • I think Yoss is arguing more for letting any game released in 2013 be allowed. Hotline Miami was released in 2013 for PlayStation. I don't actually see why that shouldn't be allowed. Oh, it was released on PC in 2012. So?

If Mario 64 gets released again in 2014, I don't see why it shouldn't be eligible.
  • It's just my own personal take on it if course but I don't think a game should be able to win in more than one year. It makes no sense to me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @Dante: no, Yoss seems to be saying that we should allow games that you haven't had chance to play in its year of release. 

Dark Souls = GOTY 2011, 2012, 2012. Potentially.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't see why not. As said, there's no reason that we can't cull a game which was released that year for some kind of recognition.
  • Probably as little sense as ruling out the best game released that year makes to me.
  • Right, allowing any game ever to be eligible seems daft to me. But as long as it was released in that year, even if it's on another format, I don't see the issue.
  • Agreed, so the Vita version of Spelunky is obviously now going to win.
  • Cool. Except I asked for suggestions and comments when I started the thread! Not gonna take revised lists now and change the tallies this late in the day. One to bear (lol) in mind for GOTY 2014 then. Feel free to discuss this in the GOTG thread as it will equally apply there. No reason why we can't include, say, Mario 64 on DS as a contender, eh?! (My GOTG right there if we decide ports across generations count.)

So... if we decided on this before, we could potentially have Spelunky, Thomas Was Alone, Hotline Miami and Wind Waker HD coming up on top, GTAV rank even lower and people who haven't played it avoid it as it would seem it is shit according to the list. Sounds good to me!

EDIT: corrected an error. n00b!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did say that I wasn't suggesting it for this year.
  • Of course. My bad.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    You think I'm not?
    I thought: you'd add a full stop to my sentences...

Only if it's funny.

Or if I thought it'd be funny when I started, anyway.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It's just my own personal take on it if course but I don't think a game should be able to win in more than one year. It makes no sense to me.

That's the ticket, we're putting together a list of the best games released this year. We also had Minecraft 360 in last Year's poll as it was released last year despite it originally coming out earlier on the PC, so I thought we were counting those. So this year Spelunky Vita gets a thumbs up, Spelunky XBLA is shit out of luck.
  • So I can have Hotline Miami?
  • Dammit I clicked on Games instead of Post Comment! Short version of what I just lost:

@Paul: no, it's the same game ported from another format. Is what I think and is how I'm running this. Reg counted ports I think. I'm not.
  • Funk's 'GIETMTY 2013' wins the thread.
  • cindemon wrote:
    Here we go as I don't think anything is gonna change before the 31st.

1)  Fire Emblem 3DS.  In short(infact all of these will be short) Perfect handheld strategy game with enough depth that the casual can play it & fin & if you wanna dip those toes in, there is some serious, crazy levels of deepness with this game.  Throw in the story, cutscenes, music , character dialogue & Ninty polish & you got one Hell of a title.  I read somewhere that this game was make or break for the series.  Intelligent Systems knocked it out of the park.

2)  The last of Us.  I love a good dystopian story & TLOU is the finest ever told in the video game format.  Bit of a slow burner early game, but finishes so strong.  Naughty Dog are the kings of the PS3 imo, & this game just edges Uncharted 2 as a complete package which is no easy feat.

3)  Ni No Kuni.  Ghibli - check, Level 5 -Check, JRPG - check.  This game was never gonna be a turkey in my eyes & it was not.  All 4 of my kids, the eldest being 15 & the youngest 5, watched me play all of it.  A great romp with stunning visuals & superb music.  Its a decent JRPG to boot, with no major grinding needed & the Familiars bringing a hint of Pokemon to the Level 5 way of doing things. I still get asked by lot when I will go back & finish the Conductor Trails.  More Ghibli cutscenes would not of hurt, very, minor grumble.

4) GTA V.  Main game was above decent for the most part, enjoyed all 3 main characters & the game visually,was f'in stunning in parts.  Throw in the best sandbox for multi I have ever seen available in games & this puppy deserved on a spot in the top 5.

5) Legend of Zelda: ALBTW.  Rose tinters be damned, music, graphics, story, level design all bloody perfect.  First 3DS game(& I've played a few) that the 3D effect was on for the entire length of play & boy did it really add to the experience.  One & only complaint, to blooming easy.  Hero mode from the off & it would of been digital perfection, tho that said, for the 18 odd hours or so, it was perfection.  Just edges Super Mario 3D World to take 5th spot.

Shouts to Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, AC: NL, Beyond 2 Souls(feck you lot, I enjoyed the story), Pokemon X, Soul Sacrifice & even tho the rules state it could not be included in votes.  Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate gametime across 3DS & WiiU.  Some crazy, crazy hours sunk on that game in a few months.  Only stopped because I wanted to play other things & not burnout & taint 4 for when it finally arrives on these shores.  When me & a few buds had our first Deviljho gatecrash a hunt, ranks has one of my favourite gaming moments ever let alone the past year.

Sorry to be a bellend Mr Elf but scrub the above order of greatness.  Super Mario 3D World has gate crashed the top 5 on finishing the main worlds with the kids yesterday & I need to re-jig things.  Pretty sure my votes have not been included, but if they have, apologies.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    So I can have Hotline Miami?

So can I have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?

Edit:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm not.

Thatsanothen.
  • Good stuff dude. The more people that enjoy Mario, the better! Zelda is currently going to be hate crashing my top 5, but I'm sure everyone knew that was inevitable. 

Post a revised top 5 whenever you're ready and I'll add you in.
  • My wife wants to play Beyo0nd Two Souls.  She was very keen on the trailer and enjoyed Heavy Rain.  £15 and I'm on it, I don't give a shit about the David Cage naysayers - a huge percentage of each of his games are shit, but playing it with the other half wipes out the crapness.
  • It was the last game my better half watched all the way through & she enjoyed Heavy Rain also.  We normally, on my late starts week crash watch a season or something, for one of those weeks, as we did with Rain, we clocked Souls.  Hope you both enjoy it, there is highs & lows(as with most things) with the story & gameplay, but the highs are pretty sweet I thought.
  • Thanks. I read that out and she said "that's good", but was concentrating on the Undateables.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My wife wants to play Beyo0nd Two Souls.  She was very keen on the trailer and enjoyed Heavy Rain.  £15 and I'm on it, I don't give a shit about the David Cage naysayers - a huge percentage of each of his games are shit, but playing it with the other half wipes out the crapness.

They ain't games, they're shit films and really long ones at that. Put a DVD on instead.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's only fair that I lend you Beyond Two Souls after I played Heavy Rain for free.  Go on, you know you want to.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's only fair that I lend you Beyond Two Souls after I played Heavy Rain for free. Go on, you know you want to.

Cool, I'll watch it after I finish Boardwalk Empire.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!