GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • I'm pretty sure State of Decay will be in my list now. Shame about the shit ending, but the rest of the game is great.

So I have 2 broken games on the list now. Amazing how much being fun can excuse problems.
  • Update, because The Stanley Parable is chock full of amazing and exactly the kind of thing I want to see more of.

1. The Stanley Parable
    2. SteamWorld Dig
    3. Device 6
    4. Animal Crossing

Still half a month to play some more...
  • OP updated following some....updates. Stanley Parable makes a big jump!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Doesn't look like I'll have any time to check out Fire Emblem. :(
  • When are we calling time on this? Fire Emblem is creeping its way into the top three.
  • When Fire Emblem reaches the top 3.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Probably Metro: Last Light for me.

Then:

Tomb Raider
    GTAV
    Bioshock Infinite

I've played nothing else to completion or even half way through from 2013.
  • End of Jan is deadline. 

I think a few people still wanna vote.
  • I could still potentially change mine if thats ok elf?

Played the first 3 Worlds of Mario now and its already shown me enough to show its face in my top 10 but I can't justify putting it in there yet as I know I've only scrapped the surface.

Also I have Journey which has had a few votes and I've heard it's short so I might be able to squeeze that in.

Last of Us has no chance of being played before the deadline unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Feel free to change. Journey was 2012 though. Runner up to TWD.
  • Ah - my bad.

Will quote my original Top 5 if I change anything to make it easier for you.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Last of Us has no chance of being played before the deadline unfortunately.

You could easily finish it in that time, although I don't think you'd have to to be able to make your mind up on it.
  • Apparently, all you need to make a pig gorgeous is a fez, and a tattoo of a musical note and a heart.

I think I've got a game that will be on my list here.
  • Eh? Tearaway?

I'm intrigued.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Mario 3D World The Last of Us Tomb Raider Runner up: Rayman Legends. Might sneak in when I've played a bit more of it.

My final vote:

1. Mario 3D World [10]
    2. Fire Emblem [9*]
    3. Castle of Illusion (PSN/XBLA) [8]
    4. The Last of Us [8]
    5. Bike Rider DX (3DS eshop) [8]

Tomb Raider drops out due to a flurry of gaming in recent weeks, good though it was.  Gunman Clive and Rayman Legends performed well but don't go home with cigars.  I should add that I've only played four hours of Fire Emblem, so the 9 is clearly provisional, but I know what I like and I love what I've played.
  • Yeah, Tearaway. It's a genuinely lovely game, and probably just what I needed after my last 3 being Last of Us, State of Decay and The Walking Dead.

It does my tits in that things like this are dismissed as kids games.

Moot, Castle of Illusion disqualified under remake rules surely?
  • Imagine I said something clever about all games being dismissed as kids games here.
  • cindemon wrote:
    cindemon wrote:
    Here we go as I don't think anything is gonna change before the 31st.

1)  Fire Emblem 3DS.  In short(infact all of these will be short) Perfect handheld strategy game with enough depth that the casual can play it & fin & if you wanna dip those toes in, there is some serious, crazy levels of deepness with this game.  Throw in the story, cutscenes, music , character dialogue & Ninty polish & you got one Hell of a title.  I read somewhere that this game was make or break for the series.  Intelligent Systems knocked it out of the park.

2)  The last of Us.  I love a good dystopian story & TLOU is the finest ever told in the video game format.  Bit of a slow burner early game, but finishes so strong.  Naughty Dog are the kings of the PS3 imo, & this game just edges Uncharted 2 as a complete package which is no easy feat.

3)  Ni No Kuni.  Ghibli - check, Level 5 -Check, JRPG - check.  This game was never gonna be a turkey in my eyes & it was not.  All 4 of my kids, the eldest being 15 & the youngest 5, watched me play all of it.  A great romp with stunning visuals & superb music.  Its a decent JRPG to boot, with no major grinding needed & the Familiars bringing a hint of Pokemon to the Level 5 way of doing things. I still get asked by lot when I will go back & finish the Conductor Trails.  More Ghibli cutscenes would not of hurt, very, minor grumble.

4) GTA V.  Main game was above decent for the most part, enjoyed all 3 main characters & the game visually,was f'in stunning in parts.  Throw in the best sandbox for multi I have ever seen available in games & this puppy deserved on a spot in the top 5.

5) Legend of Zelda: ALBTW.  Rose tinters be damned, music, graphics, story, level design all bloody perfect.  First 3DS game(& I've played a few) that the 3D effect was on for the entire length of play & boy did it really add to the experience.  One & only complaint, to blooming easy.  Hero mode from the off & it would of been digital perfection, tho that said, for the 18 odd hours or so, it was perfection.  Just edges Super Mario 3D World to take 5th spot.

Shouts to Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, AC: NL, Beyond 2 Souls(feck you lot, I enjoyed the story), Pokemon X, Soul Sacrifice & even tho the rules state it could not be included in votes.  Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate gametime across 3DS & WiiU.  Some crazy, crazy hours sunk on that game in a few months.  Only stopped because I wanted to play other things & not burnout & taint 4 for when it finally arrives on these shores.  When me & a few buds had our first Deviljho gatecrash a hunt, ranks has one of my favourite gaming moments ever let alone the past year.
    Sorry to be a bellend Mr Elf but scrub the above order of greatness.  Super Mario 3D World has gate crashed the top 5 on finishing the main worlds with the kids yesterday & I need to re-jig things.  Pretty sure my votes have not been included, but if they have, apologies.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Good stuff dude. The more people that enjoy Mario, the better! Zelda is currently going to be hate crashing my top 5, but I'm sure everyone knew that was inevitable.  Post a revised top 5 whenever you're ready and I'll add you in.

Bellend time, sorry Elf.

1) Super Mario 3D World. Just the fucking business & the most fun to play, gaming perfection with end game stuff that shows that when it comes to platformers(let alone ones that allow 4 players at once) no one, can touch Nintendo in regards to design.

2) Fire Emblem
    3) The Last of Us
    4) Ni No Kuni
    5) Zelda: ALBW

Sorry GTA V, the above on reflection were just, just, that little bit more special to me.
  • Moot, Castle of Illusion disqualified under remake rules surely?

Hmmm.  I see your point, but it's more of a a remoot (Jesus, sorry).  It's built from the ground up with themes for locations re-used for all-new levels (forest, library, clock tower etc), so it's a different beast to Ducktales which is far more faithful to the original from what I've seen.  The setting is the same, but the level structure is entirely new, the weight and intertia of the character feels different and it even flits between 2D and 3D gameplay semi-regularly.  Bosses are mostly the same character designs from the Megadrive game, but have all-new patterns/attacks.  However, over a third of the music is rearranged compositions. 

I'll leave this one up to Elf, but I reckon it should be allowed because it deserves one vote at least.
  • Right, fuck this, I'm starting Fire Emblem today.
  • @cindemon / others: not a problem resubmitting. It takes me a matter of seconds to update someone's list. 

Re: Castle of Illusion. No. Not including it. Sorry. :)
  • Fair enough, new game though, just a re-used setting and motifs. Grumble grumble, A Link Between Worlds, grumble grumble.
  • LEAVE ZELDA ALONE!!!

Nice list @cindemon I have one week left to play Mario enough the justify inclusion.

Out of interest what made Zelda leapfrog GTAV?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @Rets

I went back to Zelda a few weeks ago to mop up some missing hearts & a item or 2 & apart from the games initial difficulty being its only flaw, it really is a perfect, polished title & the first Zelda since Twilight I have finished.  GTA V impressed me with all its bells & whistles but on reflection, I prefered my time in Hyrule/Lorule more than Los Santos.  I didn't want Zelda to end, when with GTA I was already lining up the next game with no fear of triggering its end game.   As weak as this sounds, Zelda had abit more heart & soul to it in regards to being a complete package.  Now I must go & vomit on writing that last sentance.

So that & Zeldaryness....is why.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fair enough, new game though, just a re-used setting and motifs. Grumble grumble, A Link Between Worlds, grumble grumble.

Is it? I know nothing of this release, I thought it was a remake hence the same name. I'll look it up. Was also going by Dante's comment of it being a remake. Link Between Worlds isn't a remake. If it's like that; then it's in.
  • The internet will probably say remake, which it kind of is. Not including it is fine, honestly - them's the rules, says so in the OP. It's an interesting discussion though (and I was quite pleased with the ALBW example - it shares the map with ALttP I believe, so most areas are recycled, but the game doesn't play the same, despite the locales).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fair enough, new game though, just a re-used setting and motifs. Grumble grumble, A Link Between Worlds, grumble grumble.
    Animal Crossing....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!