GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • Ah! Then I refuse to play it!
  • I thought there was someone else who listed it and that's why I was reminded.

My new list (without Papers, Please) is my definitive one. Well, currently, anyway. Could change again by the deadline, my new laptop (which can run games with graphics and everything) arriving tomorrow so I'll probably have done Stanley Parable and Gone Home by the end of the month. Maybe Antichamber and Bientôt l'été, too
  • Ok, Tearaway is done. 89%, apparently. I'll try and 100% it.

I think I'll settle on it as 3rd after Mario at the moment. A bit short and the downtime that Dynamite mentioned does hurt it a bit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @AJ

Why did you drop Papers?
  • Because I've only played it for five minutes and decided it was a bit off giving it a vote on that. Hell, I didn't even enjoy it for those five minutes, I've just not played much released this year.
  • 1. Persona 4 Golden
    2. Spelunky
    3. Dark Souls

Dammit I should have played some games released in 2013 that weren't remakes.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    kneecap wrote:
    1. Persona 4 Golden 2. Spelunky 3. Dark Souls Dammit I should have played some games released in 2013 that weren't remakes.

Yeah... We can't have Persona, otherwise I'd have that top too... 

There's almost nothing wrong with that game.

It's just mental. It's like some minted Japanese mofos went out and paid the the best writers in Japan Matt Groening, Simpsons money to head up a game dev project. Sure, it's not Flaubert, or even King, but it is supremely entertaining, often going from Inbetweeners funny, to Eastenders bleak consummately.

There's even an option to let you skip the "game" itself and play it out as a multimedia book, but you'll be missing out of you do that. The game itself is solid. For me, it's probably better than Final Fantasy 7...

But not Chrono Trigger.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is Spelunky eligible? If so it's got a chance of talking over my number one spot.
  • I forgot that I bought The Puppeteer.  I haven't played it though, so it's hardly relevant.  Looks good though.
  • adored wrote:
    Is Spelunky eligible? If so it's got a chance of talking over my number one spot.
    No. Shouldn't be.
  • Does Hotline Miami count as last year because of the original Windows release? It'd have definitely made my list.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does.
  • My list currently looks like:

1. Last of Us
    2. Zelda ALBW (quite far in now, typically awesome Zelda)
    3. Mario 3D World
    4. Tearaway
    5. Gone Home
  • Need to play The Last of Us and Mario 3D World.

Would seem I made the wrong choice starting God of War Ascension before those.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wrong choice to play shit like that at all.
  • Let me know if you want to do a swappsies at some point retro, TLoU for GOW:A, permanent or temp swap.

I will never put TLoU back in my PS3, gameplay is garbage despite the story.
  • Nah, watching videos of the gameplay made me decide it's not worth bothering with until available really cheap. It's like they spent all the development time on everything but the actual game.
  • Story is better than anything out there, gameplay is better than most of what's out there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not saying we should change it this year as things are already underway, but I'm starting to question how useful limiting this to games that were released this year is. If a game was released on a format that I don't have access to in 2012, then one I do have access to in 2013, it does seem slightly arbitrary to say I'm not allowed to pick the game I enjoyed the most this year. Even if I could have played it before but didn't, or did play it before but had a revival of it, if it's the game I enjoyed most last year, why shouldn't I pick it?

The chances are that allowing games into the list regardless of release date wouldn't change us having a game released in any given year being voted GotY, but if it did, we could always crown that GotY and have a second prize for GotY that was actually released in 20-whatever (GotYTWARiT). Plus, it might remind us of earlier games we've missed and it would give us a better idea of what people have actually been playing this year.
  • JMW wrote:
    Story is better than anything out there, gameplay is better than most of what's out there.

And that shows why I haven't played most of what's out there for more than a couple of minutes.
  • @Yoss: maybe I misunderstood, but what you're saying doesn't seem to make sense. We want to find the best game of the year. Why would we count a game released in a different year? I enjoyed Mario 64 the most this year. Should I pick that and how does that fit in with finding the best games of 2013?

This isn't about what you enjoyed this year. It's about the best game of 2013.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There's no reason it can't be both.
  • Some of the restrictions are a bit arbitrary - Zelda WW should be allowed imho. Persona? Etc.
  • My list would be completely different if we included all games we've played this year. I'd say it's a different thing and should have a separate vote if it's going to be done.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wrong choice to play shit like that at all.

I like GoW mate - each to their own. I am dissapointed in it though as its the worst in the series for me and TLoU and SM3DW are getting very good feedback from loads of people here as well as critically.

Let me know if you want to do a swappsies at some point retro, TLoU for GOW:A, permanent or temp swap.

I will never put TLoU back in my PS3, gameplay is garbage despite the story.

I already have TLoU but thanks for the offer. It just seems in retrospect that I should have proritised this higher as it could have been GOTY material.

As far as what should be allowed for the vote I'm with @hylian_elf regarding old games not being allowed. I played and enjoyed Rocket Knight Adventure on the Mega Drive for the first time this year but I don't think it belongs in my Top 5 for 2013.

On the flip side I see no problem with full re-releases such as Persona but think the line has to be drawn somewhere. Something like Earthbound on Wii U shouldn't count for example.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Baldur's Gate 2 should win.
  • Persona Golden counting could shake this entire thing up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, even if we did allow old games, I think that the chances of any of them winning the vote would be vanishingly small, and if any did, that would be worthy of note.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Again, even if we did allow old games, I think that the chances of any of them winning the vote would be vanishingly small, and if any did, that would be worthy of note.

Yeah, but it'd skew the results by taking votes away from games that might win because people might have played a retro game that really took their fancy or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!