GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • If there's more time I might try and prioritise some of the games I've got from this year and play them before other things. If I can stop playing Peggle first.

All the talk of Fire Emblem is weird for me to see. I've been banging on about FE games for years and now everyone else has started playing it just as I don't have access to it anymore (no 3DS). I'm just jealous, I guess. I'd love to play it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's got me going too, and I'm in the same boat regarding the 3DS. Are the bog standard DS Fire Emblem games worth seeking out?
  • JonB wrote:
    If there's more time I might try and prioritise some of the games I've got from this year and play them before other things. If I can stop playing Peggle first. All the talk of Fire Emblem is weird for me to see. I've been banging on about FE games for years and now everyone else has started playing it just as I don't have access to it anymore (no 3DS). I'm just jealous, I guess. I'd love to play it.

I've been meaning to play Fire Emblem for over a decade, it's still on my watch list on eBay. I should probably just buy and play the GBA games and then play the GC one which I have still sealed away somewhere.  But I'll probably play the 3DS game first.  Might hunt down the SFC games for my collection.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's got me going too, and I'm in the same boat regarding the 3DS. Are the bog standard DS Fire Emblem games worth seeking out?
    The problem with the older games is that they tend to have quite a high value. The one on DS (Shadow Dragon) is a remake of one of the early NES games, so is a bit light on features, but it's still solid. The best one is the GBA one (just plain Fire Emblem, not The Sacred Stones), but it's bound to be expensive.
  • The obvious trouble with this list is that it can become a list of who's played what as opposed to what's the best title of the year.

That's why I find these things pointless, though I appreciate Elf's efforts.
  • I do love lists and stats. But apart from that, as I mentioned early on, it does indeed show what people have played and rate highly so can give others an idea of what is worth playing. It's been mentioned on these forums before that some of us don't really care much about mag reviews and go by forumite recommendations instead. To that end, a GOTY list can be helpful I think.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    can give others an idea of what is worth playing

Exactly.

E.g. @Moot_Geeza buying a 3DS for Fire Emblem on the back of tons of votes on here.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • And I'll be starting it as soon as I've finished Tearaway and Zelda. Which might be too late though.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's got me going too, and I'm in the same boat regarding the 3DS. Are the bog standard DS Fire Emblem games worth seeking out?
    The problem with the older games is that they tend to have quite a high value. The one on DS (Shadow Dragon) is a remake of one of the early NES games, so is a bit light on features, but it's still solid. The best one is the GBA one (just plain Fire Emblem, not The Sacred Stones), but it's bound to be expensive.
    Recently found out that my cousin has Fire Emblem on the GBA.

Will steal.
  • I got the GBA Fire Emblem on the 3DS as part of that ambassador programme.

Might have to give it ago after all the positive talk of the series here. I'm not a fan of strategy games but it would be rude not to give it a few hours.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sacred stones was my first one which i took a punt on being so in love with advance wars. It got me hooked, over 100 hours put in on my 3ds.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I got the GBA Fire Emblem on the 3DS as part of that ambassador programme.
    I think that was The Secret Stones. It lacks a lot of features that made the previous game so good and has extra battles to allow grinding, which goes against the spirit of the series IMO. The basic mechanics are still solid though.
  • I have GBA Fire Emblem, barely played it thus far. I could consider lending it for a while if somebody wants to play it? I'll want it back in the future though, like in 6-7 months perhaps when I'll have some time to play it.
  • Assuming it's not snide, Amazon has a cart only copy of Fire Emblem on GBA for under a tenner.

I got around ten hours into it a few years ago.  Shining Force II is one of my favourite ever games (top ten, I think), so Fire Emblem was naturally appealing.  It was all going well until my party started dropping like flies - none of that resurrection at the nearest church business either.  Very, very good though - turn-based strategy is far more appealing than standard RPG-type battle systems for me.

Edit: FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Shining Force and Advance Wars.  The GBA really was superb for that particular genre.
  • Yep. It's my favourite handheld mainly because of those games. They're a perfect fit for it. Really wish I hadn't sold Tactics Ogre.
  • I'd hope the 3DS would end up with a similar level of awesomeness in the genre.

I've dabbled with FF Tactics & Advance Wars before (mostly MP for the latter), but it's only Fire Emblem: Awakening that's made me go OH GAWD THIS IS GOOD.
  • I don't think I've played any new games in 2013 so I'm just going to say this

1. Journey

It's been a while since I connected with a game but the section where you fight against the wind was sheer genius. The last section full of colour was one of the most rewarding pieces of gaming ever ever.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • 1. Lego City because it's not getting enough love
    2. Rayman Legends because it's awesome
    3. AC NL because it's brought me and the kids closer together (apart from that trouble over at Outlaw's - again, sorry)
    4. Lego Marvel because Hulk Smash
    5. Mario 3D because dur

If I'd played more 5 it'd probably end up higher.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The obvious trouble with this list is that it can become a list of who's played what as opposed to what's the best title of the year.

That's why I find these things pointless, though I appreciate Elf's efforts.

Supposing the not-playeds were consciously-avoided not-playeds, the have-playeds' precedence increases.

But you're right, of course.
  • WorKid wrote:
    3. AC NL because it's brought me and the kids closer together (apart from that trouble over at Outlaw's - again, sorry)

Animal Crossing drama; what happened?
  • Vandalism. Theft.

Underage drinking.
  • WorKid wrote:
    1. Lego City because it's not getting enough love

Before I count your votes, can you please just clarify whether you are putting Lego City (Undercover?) at number 1 because it was your number 1 game of 2013, or because not enough people have voted for it?
  • Lego City Undercover is my GOTY 2013, correct. The WiiU one not the 3DS one.
  • Here we go as I don't think anything is gonna change before the 31st.

1)  Fire Emblem 3DS.  In short(infact all of these will be short) Perfect handheld strategy game with enough depth that the casual can play it & fin & if you wanna dip those toes in, there is some serious, crazy levels of deepness with this game.  Throw in the story, cutscenes, music , character dialogue & Ninty polish & you got one Hell of a title.  I read somewhere that this game was make or break for the series.  Intelligent Systems knocked it out of the park.

2)  The last of Us.  I love a good dystopian story & TLOU is the finest ever told in the video game format.  Bit of a slow burner early game, but finishes so strong.  Naughty Dog are the kings of the PS3 imo, & this game just edges Uncharted 2 as a complete package which is no easy feat.

3)  Ni No Kuni.  Ghibli - check, Level 5 -Check, JRPG - check.  This game was never gonna be a turkey in my eyes & it was not.  All 4 of my kids, the eldest being 15 & the youngest 5, watched me play all of it.  A great romp with stunning visuals & superb music.  Its a decent JRPG to boot, with no major grinding needed & the Familiars bringing a hint of Pokemon to the Level 5 way of doing things. I still get asked by lot when I will go back & finish the Conductor Trails.  More Ghibli cutscenes would not of hurt, very, minor grumble.

4) GTA V.  Main game was above decent for the most part, enjoyed all 3 main characters & the game visually,was f'in stunning in parts.  Throw in the best sandbox for multi I have ever seen available in games & this puppy deserved on a spot in the top 5.

5) Legend of Zelda: ALBTW.  Rose tinters be damned, music, graphics, story, level design all bloody perfect.  First 3DS game(& I've played a few) that the 3D effect was on for the entire length of play & boy did it really add to the experience.  One & only complaint, to blooming easy.  Hero mode from the off & it would of been digital perfection, tho that said, for the 18 odd hours or so, it was perfection.  Just edges Super Mario 3D World to take 5th spot.

Shouts to Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, AC: NL, Beyond 2 Souls(feck you lot, I enjoyed the story), Pokemon X, Soul Sacrifice & even tho the rules state it could not be included in votes.  Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate gametime across 3DS & WiiU.  Some crazy, crazy hours sunk on that game in a few months.  Only stopped because I wanted to play other things & not burnout & taint 4 for when it finally arrives on these shores.  When me & a few buds had our first Deviljho gatecrash a hunt, ranks has one of my favourite gaming moments ever let alone the past year.
  • cindemon wrote:
    Here we go as I don't think anything is gonna change before the 31st. 1)  Fire Emblem 3DS.  In short(infact all of these will be short) Perfect handheld strategy game with enough depth that the casual can play it & fin & if you wanna dip those toes in, there is some serious, crazy levels of deepness with this game.  Throw in the story, cutscenes, music , character dialogue & Ninty polish & you got one Hell of a title.  I read somewhere that this game was make or break for the series.  Intelligent Systems knocked it out of the park.
    Shit, really?

How did it sell?
  • It sold over a million worldwide come the end of 2013, but the team were told by Nintendo's sales manager that it would need to sell over 250k if the saga was going to continue according co producer Hitoshi Yamagami.  Finishes the interview Saying he come back to a meeting with team & said..

'My God, what are we gonna do?! The end has come!' Our reaction was clear: If this was going to be the last Fire Emblem, we had to put everything we always wanted to include."

Like I said, those mofo's knocked it outta the park.
  • I read that the 3DS Fire Emblem is the highest selling in the series.

cindemon wrote:
    Legend of Zelda: ALBTW.  Rose tinters be damned, music, graphics, story, level design all bloody perfect.  First 3DS game(& I've played a few) that the 3D effect was on for the entire length of play & boy did it really add to the experience.  One & only complaint, to blooming easy.  Hero mode from the off & it would of been digital perfection, tho that said, for the 18 odd hours or so, it was perfection.

Spot on, I really hope thats the case with future entries.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I enjoyed reading Cindemon's list from start to finish (clearly a man of good taste and an open mind), but I'm none the wiser about what AC: NL is.  I even opened Wikipedia to check out the various titles of the Assassin's Creed games (which didn't seem to quite fit with his choices, imo).
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf.  Gotcha.
  • @Moot_Geeza Haha, superb
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!