I've changed it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Putting mega- anything makes me covet it.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I've changed it.

FYI no you haven't

But I guess to a Stable door situation anyway
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've skirted past. What is it spoiling?
  • The game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And i have changed it actually you just think it's a spoiler.
  • Lol. I'm not sure you've changed the important bit but happily I don't care
    The Forum Herald™
  • Just don't ever read Bollo's posts.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Just don't ever read Bollo's posts.

I'll add him to the list but pretty soon I'm gonna be skipping most of the posts here!

'Part from you Jim you solid gold
    The Forum Herald™
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Just don't ever read Bollo's posts.

Me neither. He thinks I voice chat him but it's just my flat mate.

Dictated, not read.

Tempy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's cold
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Says 4 tits avatar
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I've changed it.

Is there a reason that you're being a dick about this?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just another form of attention seeking, they obviously feel that the points they make don't stand for themselves and require this type of troll bullshit to gain recognition.

Pull your head out of your arse Bollo.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Well that and it gives you something to do.
  • I just finished Everybody's Gone to The Rapture. It's not bad, but I was constantly wishing they had more budget because the number of reiterated assets and empty sheds was a bit grating. Story made emotions happen, so I guess it was successful.
  • You know that old story about how people love FFVII so much because, for many people, it was their first JRPG? Well, in my case that’s true. It was actually one of the first game I bought for myself and came with my playstation, second-hand, along with Driver and Tomb Raider. I didn’t read games mags at that time, and it was pre-internet for me so, believe it or not, I knew nothing about the game except the fact it was apparently really good. Like, I didn’t even know how it played. I didn’t know it was turn based, it didn’t know it would have a world, I didn’t know you’d be able to name your characters, I didn’t know that good guys could die in stories.

FFVII was not just my first JRPG and my first PlayStation game - it was, in many ways, my gaming education. Not bad, huh?

It blew me away, obviously, and convinced me that games could be more than fun distractions. After completing it I rushed out and got FFVIII (as i mentioned, i got all this second-hand so we’re a while after VII’s launch). Once again, great, and I went on a quest to play and enjoy JRPGs off all varieties. Except I didn’t enjoy them. I became not so much a fan of JRPGs as a fan of 32-bit Final Fantasies. Breath of Fire left me cold, the SNES FF games left me cold, and all the JRPGs that people raved about disappointed me. IX came out and I bounced off of it and it wasn’t until a while later that I went back and realised how good it was. At that time I didn’t want classic final fantasy, I wanted more sci-fi future dystopia FF VII-esque stories.

I didn’t like FFX, and then XI was announced as an MMO at a time when I wouldn’t have the ability (or inclination) to play online with others, and so I came to accept the fact that Final Fantasy was not really my thing, and JRPGs were not my thing. Not really, it was just those 2 games, especially VII.

After moving to China and playing World of Warcraft with a mate for several months, I played Final Fantasy XII. XII remains, to this day, one of my favourite games and I think having an MMO education in WoW really helped me appreciate that game even more. So I was officially back on the Final Fantasy Fan bandwagon and looking forward to the gorgeous-looking XIII.

Let’s just say…I’m not a fan of XIII, and it really wasn’t through a lack of effort. I sunk 20+ hours into that game (twice!) trying to force myself to like it. But it just wasn’t happening. And then, with the old FF guard gone from Square Enix, and with Final Fantasy games, and related projects, becoming ever more anime-styled, I felt that, once again, Final Fantasy was no longer for me.

It wasn’t a huge problem, though because those years had seen me open my eyes to a whole variety of new games and experiences, and would lead me to games I could never had imagined would exist. Chief among them, as you all know, are games like Shadow of the Colossus. I lost Final Fantasy, but I gained so much, and so I didn’t really miss having these games made for people like me. It was an old romance, the first love, that ended long ago and, while you still long for it in some ways, you’ve moved on to bigger and better things. The likes of Persona, Dark Souls and the Witcher games all scratch that RPG itch wonderfully and, all in all, these past few years of gaming have been some of the best I can remember - i honestly feel a bit spoiled right now, even though i know these past years haven’t been to everyone’s tastes.

Which brings me to Final Fantasy XV, which I completed yesterday. I don’t want to write a really vague review that dodges around key points too much. I’ll try not to spoil everything but please be warned that behind these spoiler tags, there will be some BIG-ish spoilers. This is what I think…
    Spoiler:

tl;dr - Final Fantasy is amazing. Flawed, sure, but I would encourage those interested to give it a go. It is the icing on the cake of a fantastic couple of years of gaming for me, and tonight I hope TLG will be the cherry. But even if it isn’t, that’s ok - FFXV delivered something moving and memorable beyond all expectation. Roll on the FFVII remake!
  • Oh, and one more thing. I'll probably only play this game once - once I've moped up all the side stuff to my hearts content, I'll probably switch it off and never go back. It doesn't feel like something that needs repeated play-throughs.
  • FF6 was my first and FF9 my last. I do have FF13 and its two sequels somewhere in my Steam lib but haven't touched them. Yet.
    I'll buy 15 if Square ever releases it on pc. Good to know they haven't fucked up.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That's a cracking write up Cinty.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Beautiful Cinty, I don't enjoy FF games but you really brought that to life for me.
  • Thanks guys. It's an impressive game.

I actually just added one detail to where I discuss the end. I tired to be vague when discussing it but, hey, it's behind a spoiler.

I'm gonna relax and prepare my body for The Last Guardian. Phew.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Great write up man, it's a shame you never got to experience FFXI back when it launched, I reckon you would have liked it. Also I think you're not the only person who found themselves romanticising about FFVII and FFVIII, those were some special days. Back in the 90s I lived on a majority JRPG diet but somewhere along the line I just lost interest and completely fell out of love with Japanese RPGs, that is until Dark Souls came along. Square turned around some great games in the 90s; from Secret of Mana to Parasite Eve, to Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger. Of course we've all changed a lot since then, our tastes have evolved and morphed - but I'm glad you still found yourself enjoying FFXV, really.
  • Yeah, I think I would have enjoyed XI, too. After all, I really dig XIV.
  • How was the music overall, dude?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    How was the music overall, dude?

It features all the FF OSTs from past to present, so those are good, and the new stuff composed for this is really good. Character themes don't feature so much, so there's nothing really iconic, but the various battle music tunes really stand out as some top work.
  • Good to hear. Specially as I've preordered the boxset from Square website!
  • FFVII was also that initial defining moment in my love of gaming, nothing I'd played on the Mega Drive had suggested that games could be that engrossing and ambitious.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!