Just completed
  • I finished Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 yesterday. Really enjoyed it and would put it on par with the 2013 reboot. I'm not too bothered about the murdering Lara or limited plot development, I just like to climb around and explore areas and this - for me - got that right.

I'd love to see an Uncharted and Tomb Raider collaboration from a development perspective (not the characters together). Naughty Dog would be able to improve the story and writing and Crystal Dynamics would improve the traversal and combat - which I think is far better in RotTR than U4.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ask Bob

Who?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Chalice's mate.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Was that what we did because by fuck that was shit.
    Here you were out your nut by the end and cheering it on and we drove many wrong ways

Those were the days.
  • @JonB

I've just started playing Resi 1 again on the excellent remake after too many years. I'm bad and I'm scared. Do you have any general tips? How many Z's should I be avoiding vs killing? What can I do about the ones that freak me out off screen?

I really want to beat this game but I'm finding it hard - have restarted twice already.
  • The auto aim is a big help. If you can hear but not see something then hold down aim and the character should point in the direction of the zombie if it's in sight.

I would definitely kill anything lurking near the save rooms as you'll be going back there a lot. A few of the others are easy to avoid (the one upstairs from the dining room for example). 

Once you've got lighter and fuel canister you can burn dead Zs to make sure they don't get up again later (if the head doesn't explode they only stay dead for a certain time).

Other than that, grow some balls I guess. ;)
  • Actually, should also mention you can get the shotgun quite early on, especially with Jill. You always feel safer when you've got the shotgun.
  • Cheers, I think the problem I'm having is that I think it's non-linear when it isn't, there are just right and wrong ways to go. On my second attempt I went to that silly, but funny, little room with the spikes on a statue on rails. Got me good. And the Z on the upstairs is the one that claimed my balls to experiment on in a Petri dish. He's next to something I have to push, right? He also killed me - you say he's easy to avoid. Hmm.

I need that shotty...from the bit with Barry where he asks you to look for Wesker BUT ONLY IN THIS ROOM (lol) where should I be headed?
  • I was way better at games when I was 15, still didn't have the stones for this shit though
  • Here's where you need to go first. I'll spoiler the details in case you want to find it yourself.

Once you split from Barry the first thing you need is a key.
    Spoiler:
    With the key go back to the main hall ground floor and through the door opposite the dining room entrance.
    Spoiler:
    I mentioned the Z upstairs from the dining room because that room is a circuit, and if you get the Z following you one way it's then easy to run around the opposite way. Just keep using aim to check its position.
  • I'm worse than Barry at the mansion but thanks for the survival guide. I hate doing things twice in a resident evil so with little time this will help that all important first section.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Here you were out your nut by the end and cheering it on and we drove many wrong ways

Those were the days.

We could both get divorced and buy 360s
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cibele (PC)

Very interesting, intimate game.  I shan't say more than that.  Under an hour too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I shan't say more than that.  Under an hour too.

"I won't say more", he says, then keeps talking. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Those were the days.
    We could both get divorced and buy 360s

Still got my 360 so I'm halfway there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Infamous: First Light

How did gangster man not turn out to be Second Son's brother undercover? I thought that was going to be a great twist. Does the engine just use the same male face? What a let down.

More fun strangely than Second Son though. Focusing on the one power improves much. Still lukewarm generally though. [7].
  • Infamous is such a garbo franchise
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Not a proper 10 though. That was when they started giving out 10s like candy iirc?

They've calmed down a bit now, but I'd place Halo 3 as one of the last real EDGE [10]s. It took a lot of other franchises a lot of time to catch up with Halo 3's feature set - the best Gears 2 could manage in terms of theatre mode is "you can take screenshots when you're dead".

Halo 3 theatre mode is surely the best implementation of the feature ever. Being able to zoom about and see the cause and effect of grenade throws etc was amazing.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Infamous is such a garbo franchise
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a generous [7] for sure. They're very happy not to apply any imagination to superheroes.
  • Yeah it's so average that it becomes a [1] through lack of ambition
  • Infamous 2 is a great game
    The Forum Herald™
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Yeah it's so average that it becomes a [1] through lack of ambition

Exactly.  Just because a game functions fairly correctly doesn't mean it shouldn't be discredited through its complete lack of ambition and creativity.  I hate them all.  And prototype.
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, done. Back to Souls games, I guess...
  • Mafia III

Great game and certainly making my top five of the year. There's a lot to like. Really solid combat and driving (turn the simulation setting on), a great soundtrack and atmosphere and a solid cast. It's a very generous game and while a lot of it takes the same form there's enough variety in the way you can go about things to keep it interesting. I had maybe a couple of crashes, a couple of weird lighting situations and a couple of side quests borked (although happily the side quests I wanted to do worked fine). A high light was during on mission where your set upon by three cars full of goons which kept on killing me until I worked out a plan of hiding down a side street, planting c4 on my own car and then taking the bulk of them out in an ambush they weren't expecting.

On the downside it's possible to fall into water that there's no way out of. There's no warp to shore either. It's easy to lose your own car. The health system doesn't quite work as it's easy to lose the health you've just regenned during the animation. The remote play controls on Vita are shit (seriously the rear touch pad for accelerating and braking??). Oh and there's nothing that follows that quite tops the assault on the abandoned theme park early doors.

Still the best game starring a black protagonist since fiddy lost his skull.

8 grotty playboys out of 10 tasteful works of art with tits.
    The Forum Herald™
  • X-Com 2 (PS4)

Played through it on Normal difficulty in the end, but without Ironman mode. It's a top game. Your group of soldiers really becomes an efficient team of alien death dealing towards the end and it's very satisfying to gradually turn the tables and hit the enemy back with everything it's hit you with. Laying waste to chunks of scenery, or hacking mechs and turning them against their allies is always fun.

Even so, it's a long campaign and perhaps a little repetitive by the end. Would be interesting to have even more tactical variation provided by the environments and some different ways of encountering the enemy. While some missions only allow a limited number of turns, the basic moving between cover positions with overwatch never changes much.

As mentioned elsewhere, the technical issues are also major, and get worse the further in you get. It's refreshing to begin again once finished and see it all running relatively smoothly again. I'd like to try an Ironman run, but it's risky with some of the glitches.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tomb Raider - Defiitive Edition enjoyed it as I have the Uncharteds. Story was a bit guff, but the gameplay and environments were great fun and the combat seemed less out of place than the Uncharteds for some reason, possibly because the bad guys were generally pretty evil bastards. Enjoyed the little tomb puzzles, more of that would be fun. 

Nice touch at the end with...
    Spoiler:

8 cliched sidekicks out of 10
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mass Effect

Been nigh on a decade since I last touched this, but a lot of the key memories were there. For some reason I was sure you shot probes to planets in this one too though. Things I remembered well were the main missions being too damn long - so goddam much Mako; where to go and get Wrex's family armour, leading to a battle which is better than much of the main game; the blonde beardy shepherd fan on the citadel; the ridiculous ending and double final boss.

I played full blown renegade which meant I made some decisions I wasn't personally happy with, especially
    Spoiler:
    , but it's all in the name of mega bastard shepherd. Fired up 2 briefly and imported character, amusing to see all those renegade points get wired straight in.
    Really looking forward to giving 2 the once over now - all DLC installed. I did try to do all side missions on 1, but got bored. Shooting in 2 is so damn tight that it's a pleasure to sweep all the quests out of the way.
    Really don't need any big end of year games, ME2-3 will see me through to new year, likely.

It's a 9 here, only because I know what's next is solid gold 10 best game of last gen (along with Burnout Paradise)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!