Just completed
  • Assault Android Cactus

Well that didn't take long. 3 fairly short sessions to reach the credits, and that included repeating some stages for better scores.

It's a fun and hectic twin stick shooter with neat level designs, and clearly geared towards high score chasing, but it's a shame there's not more of it. Or, it could just have been harder to complete levels - as it is there were only a few bosses that held me up at all, due to the way getting hit and knocked down doesn't really punish you much. It's all about completion ratings, rather than an actual challenge.

There are extra game modes, including a daily challenge, but I don't think they've got enough variety to hold that much interest. Any long term appeal will rely on competition with other players (a forum challenge would be good if enough people have it). As it stands, it's an enjoyable few hours.
  • It's a short game? Nice, I might get 'round to playing it, then.
  • Yeah. 3 or 4 hours should see you through it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Not hitting any spoilers but man am I enjoying cars with boys cinty. Fwiw I'm a FFIX guy. I like VIII too.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yeah. 3 or 4 hours should see you through it.

That's pretty much the perfect length for an arcade game - not too short that it feels pointless, but not too long that it outstays it's welcome - awesome.
  • Titanfall 2.

That's an ace campaign. Loved it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Not hitting any spoilers but man am I enjoying cars with boys cinty. Fwiw I'm a FFIX guy. I like VIII too.

Genuinely glad to hear that, buddy. :D
  • Titanfall 2 got a [9] from Edge. Look forward to reading their review.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Titanfall 2. That's an ace campaign. Loved it.
    I'm about half way through. Cracking stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Titanfall 2 (xbox)

It was o-k. Decent enough for an fps but it's excitement, while perhaps novel for the genre, I'd hardly world shattering. Dialogue with BT occasionally chucklesome, but he's no Wheatley. The best bits were when you could just mow down people fairly safely, feeling nice and big vs them ickle humans. Fighting things the same size as you (big-big or little-little) was same old really. Movement fluid but a bit too first-person for my liking.

A solid [7] stones from a chalice.
  • Just finished Titanfall 2 myself. I really enjoyed it. Big budget blockbuster fun all the way. Shooting and movement felt great and nice campaign length. Played on hard difficulty and it felt just about right. 

Gears 4 next. Thought I'd pop it in and have a quick look before bed. 21gb update. Maybe not then!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Titanfall 2 (xbox) It was o-k. Decent enough for an fps but it's excitement, while perhaps novel for the genre, I'd hardly world shattering. Dialogue with BT occasionally chucklesome, but he's no Wheatley. The best bits were when you could just mow down people fairly safely, feeling nice and big vs them ickle humans. Fighting things the same size as you (big-big or little-little) was same old really. Movement fluid but a bit too first-person for my liking. A solid [7] stones from a chalice.

Physical copy? Putting it up in Swap thread? I think you still have my StarFox and RotTR. Wouldn't mind borrowing Titty2
  • Titanfall 2

I thought the campaign was alright. I know the Edge review raved about the campaign but I wonder if that's more because single player fps campaigns have been so average on this generation of hardware (side note not played doom yet).

It's a shame titanfall 2 tries to be COD and not stand on its own two feet. There are still many lessons developers can learn from Bungee Studios. Example why not colour the mech in primary colours to differentiate them? Why not make the guns look more different so they are easier to tell apart? I haven't played Last Guardian but I'm guessing if anything happens to your giant pet, there will be a few tears shed / lumps in throat. Nothing like that for BT though, there should have been if the writers were any good.

• I'm kinda glad they didn't make the mechs look like primary colour rock'em sock'em robots to be honest, it would have stopped the world from being so cohesive. The Normandy Beach nod would have been less impressive too.
  • Agree with you on the guns Dino. Even at the end of the game I barely had any idea what gun was what.
  • Scout wrote:
    Agree with you on the guns Dino. Even at the end of the game I barely had any idea what gun was what.

And I thought it was just me.
  • Scout wrote:
    Agree with you on the guns Dino. Even at the end of the game I barely had any idea what gun was what.

And I thought it was just me.

And I thought it was just me as well. I was well confused by the end.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Rise of The Tomb Raider - more fun and games with Lara. Enjoyed this more than the first reboot and I've never played another version so can't compared to past releases.

The ending seemed a bit too similar to the first game with opposing forces fighting over some mystic power, but the setting and hub areas were very well designed with a nice toolset to play with.

Is it better than UC4? Not sure in all honesty. It still doesn't quite have it in the characterisation stakes, but Lara herself is well modelled with some nice facial animation.

Having played the reboot, this and UC4 all this year I think I'm done with the cover stealth shooter for a while.
  • A 5,895 word review of The Last Guardian

So, The Last Guardian huh? By now my opinion of this game and the reverence I have for it should be well established. I’ve fawned over it, I know - but I’m not alone in doing so, and I stand by every word I’ve written about it thus far. But, now that I’ve had some time to digest and think about it, it’s probably time to write some longer thoughts about the hows and the whys.

First things first (and I apologise for dawdling and rambling) if there’s any chance you will play this game *please* do not read the review I wrote below. More than any other game I know, it requires going in blind. While you may think it could take a while to finally get round to it, that doesn’t matter - whether it is in one month or one year, it’ll be worth holding off from reading spoilers and enjoying it when you finally give it a go.

I’m gonna go into a lot of detail, so please be warned, there will be BIG spoilers aplenty.

A non-spoilerific summary could be described thusly:

I always had high hopes for this game, that much is obvious. Despite all the delays and lack of (positive) news, I always felt it would happen eventually and that, when it did, I would love it.

But that hope had a qualification of sorts - namely, that deep down in my heart all I wanted was for it not to disappoint. It didn’t have to be my favourite game ever, it didn’t have to be the best in the trilogy, it just had to stand next to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus and not look bad. That was it. Anything better than disappointment would be enough for me because that would surely mean it was still great.

What I didn’t expect was that the game would not only be great, but that it would actually surpass Shadow of the Colossus in my estimations. That is something that deep down I never really dared wish for. But it did surpass it, and not only that but it surpassed every piece of media I have ever come into contact with, be it painting, film, book, play or song.

For all the talk about the quality of the beast, Torico, the game is so much more than that. It is a triumph on nearly every conceptual level. And in the spoilers part of this review I will explain why:
    Spoiler:
  • Read snippets, will read fully tonight. But yeah. Such an amazing game. As I said in the game thread, this game has ALL THE FEELS.
  • You and me Cint, let's fill the forum with worrrddsss
  • Tempy wrote:
    You and me Cint, let's fill the forum with worrrddsss

:D
  • Enjoyed your write up Cinty.

thumbs up

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Finished Titty 2. I loved the campaign as an FPS. Like it didn't blow my mind but it was fun and I liked how they tried lots of different things. I think Tempy made the point that it was like Mario in the different mechanics and I'd agree. Possibly not the same level of quality and Ninty at the top of their game but it was good fun.

Playing with the Elite controller took it to another level too as I felt like a proper gamer when I was paddle jumping and sliding around the shop popping fools. Of course sometimes that meant I sometimes jumped face first into a wall that I'd just accidentally thrown a grenade at but hey I like to remember the positives.
  • FFXV Thoughts

That was a great read.  I agree with an awful lot of it, and don't really have too much to add.

Yep the famously bad chapter in this game really is a stinker, but for me to dislike FFXV, the disc would need to pop out of my xbox and do a poo on the lounge room floor.  SO much good will had been built by that point and I thought the ending sequence was very strong as well.
    Spoiler:

My favorite game of the year in spite if its faults, and I hope it convinces other developers to try something a little bit different with the open world rpg!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Doom

Fantastic game, that's how you relaunch an IP. Fast, frantic and throughly enjoyable. The "health" hook by butchering demons, really added to the game. Only part I didn't like was the boss battles, but that's a personal preference. I hate boss battles. Such an outdated concept. Also campaign could be a little shorter imo.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Life is Bizarro

Overall, not half bad. I appreciate this kind of game that isn't done by Telltale so as to see a contrasting style by French folk.

I'm disappointed
    Spoiler:

[7] Fuck your Selfies out of [10]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Their next game, Vampyr, looks dreadful.
  • Ori and the blind forest. Very very very good. Polished. Good Length, solid story telling. Just a pleasure.

Firewatch. Less polished. Worth a punt on special. Reckon I could rate it higher if I was able to play it with a bit more solitude and volume.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Inside

Well, played through the story. Not sure I'll do it again to find all the trophies, I enjoyed it for the story, and working out the puzzles, and that'll have diminishing returns on repeated playthroughs. What an absolutely cracking game, though. I absolutely was not expecting that end sequence. Brilliant. One of the guys on One Life Left (I struggle to tell them apart) was complaining that it was too long and repeated to much, but I have to disagree. Occasionally I felt like I was made to drag boxes a little too far, but largely it taught you a mechanism, tested you on it then moved on without, imho, needless repetition. Played it over a couple of sessions, about half each night. I think it'll have to be in my top five of the year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!