PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @moto70 If a story is worth it's salt in world building (and this is) you should be able to, by extension judge things. The game more than lays down enough exposition for you to speculate on what may or may not happen, as long as you don't claim it as an absolute. Thing is, there is no evidence that any vaccine from Ellie would work, just like in real life it isn't as easy as 'scalpel open skull, pop out brain, look at, bingo!'
    Yeah I knew that but I was thinking that you or I wouldn't come to the conclusion that we could cure it given the same scenario so they must have people that thought they could. Either way the simple fact of the matter lies with if you don't take her brain out you definitely haven't got a cure.

Oh and for the record I was happy with how the story panned out, I'm not saying Joel should have done anything differently.
  • Got to add, any game that can make you think this deeply about its plot and characters is a damned amazing game...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I will also add that from previous discussions as far as I am aware I am the only person here who has reacted with violence towards people that have hurt friends and family. I'm not saying that this in anyway makes the story any more 'personal' but as far as our discussions go I have seen an element of the story irl...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ali wrote:
    Got to add, any game that can make you think this deeply about its plot and characters is a damned amazing game...

I was kind of unsure about the ending as I was expecting a big emo moment and then didn't get it (and I think even the game leads you on with the desperate carrying-around-Ellie-while-dramatic-music-plays bit) but after a bit of time I've decided I like it and like how it acts as a discussion piece.

One thing I just thought of. What if Ellie can pass on her immunity to any kids she has? If she can and if the Fireflies were not actually able to create a vaccine from her, perhaps Joel has inadvertently 'done the right thing'.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    If that is the case the perhaps David was more beneficial to the world that Joel.[/shudder]
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is what I thought. Though Joel, not David. Best magic up a son for Tommy and Maria to desavile it.

And your man's right about buying rounds. Taking it in turns to go to the bar, yeah - sure, but what's wrong with paying for your own? I always quietly resented paying for rounds when my drink was by far the cheapest.

Good words, Ali.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Desaville, haha!
  • Dammit did noone read my post

Key points:

America isnt the world
    We dont know if ellies the only one like her, i think Joel likes to think this is the case on his final lie
    Id assume the fireflies could attempt to make a vaccine and have the resources to do it with. They're also a terrorist group/political faction, theres no real assurance that their use of it would be considered altruistic

As said by a few people, we got Joel and Ellies story, one of god knows how many feasibly going on in the game's world, you cant tell anything at all about the future of mankind by the end of the game, cause there are many things that are left unsaid, in fact the wider fate of humankind is completely unknown and almost trivial in comparison, cause in the end it was about how two people made their own journey through those circumstances. Given that i just cant see anything other than Joel's final acts of violence making as much sense in regards to the rest of the story, and his last words just telling us a lot about the kinda guy he is. A regular guy (Ability to cure any gunshot wound by bandaging his arm and being able to make identical crafts regularly with minimum tools notwithstanding)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    They're also a terrorist group/political faction

Did they create the fungus/fungi? The opening TV news report said they'd claimed it?

• WP_000739.jpg

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Playing it the second time through the starting video seems to be different stories spliced.

It seems Fireflies are taking responsibility for attacks against the presence of martial law. I don't think there's any reason to think the Fireflies existed before this new world
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • The fungus is separate from the Fireflies. As Shinji says, the Fireflies are reacting against the heavy handed government crack down. However, what starts off as a bunch of idealists fighting oppression, eventually turns into just another militaristic organisation. It's a little microcosm for so many such organisations throughout the world, who eventually end up the oppressive government if they win their fight, all idealism lost.

As ND stated The Road as a major influence, I bought it yesterday. Already half way through. If you think the world of TLoU is bleak, you should try this! Amazing book, but heart breakingly bleak.
  • Yeah read that in one sitting. Brought me to tears. Amazing book. The concept art for this game is wonderful. Might get a couple blown up and framed ...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think there is a hardcover artbook or something.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Regarding the source of the spores, the newspaper you pick up as Sarah explains it came in on crops from South America.
  • If you're trading The Road and enjoying it, carry on to other Cormac McCarthy stuff like Blood Meridian. You won't regret it.
  • Cool. On holiday in a week and need some reading matter. Also bought the Border trilogy.
  • The Road is certainly near non-stop bleak but I wouldn't suggest a story that ends with the quiet realisation that the main guy is basically a terminally haunted lunatic is un-bleak. (To keep up the McCarthy, beardface is deffo leaning more Anton Chigurh.)

Actually I say "main guy", but at that point I think there's a fair argument for reframing the entire player-surrogate relationship as belonging to the girl (with the player's control of the Joel being more about objectified if intimate observation than identification). And it's done relatively subtly too, which is miraculous given the standards of cutscenewrite in the AAA tier.
  • Guys what's the name of that movie about the teen girl and the dude that go around capping TV celebrities?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    God Bless America?

Buffalo '66 and of course Natural Born Killers cover similar territory.
  • That was it, ta.
  • argh there are 2 threads! no spoiler tags here though, am relax
  • Yeah, it's a mite confusing, but some stuff is open for discussion over there I reckon. Best to just play it by ear.
  • And another thing.....

There's been a lot of arguement about Joel removing the vaccine from humanity as being the end of humanity. However, Joel has seen how large organisations grand plans have failed miserably in the past. The quarantine zones, resulting in the death of Sarah and, we have to assume, thousands of others. And the bombing of major cities, which not only failed to halt the infection but resulted in countless deaths. This sacrifice of the few to benefit the many has come up before and has failed miserably to help. Why should removing Ellie's brain be any different? It's another recurrent theme. Humanity being sacrificed to bring back the old civilisation. And one that Joel rebels against. It makes sense to me.
  • judging by the way most people act in the game - by the end i felt like no one deserved a cure!
  • Smang wrote:
    judging by the way most people act in the game - by the end i felt like no one deserved a cure!

True. Except Henry and Sam, of course. But that ended rather less well than hoped.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Ali wrote:
    There's been a lot of arguement about Joel removing the vaccine from humanity as being the end of humanity.
    I read it differently to that. I thought that (was it 10p?) meant that if Joel had allowed the operation to go ahead it would have spelled the end humanity as we know it in so much as deliberately ending the life of a child is wrong, not the end of humanity as in no more humans?

Just goes to show how hard it is to discuss and debate properly via a forum.
  • i forgot to say that this game is also responsible for showing me that Nolan North can do other stuff besides "Drake Voice". guy has some range i tells you, didn't spot him until his character had already spoken a fair few lines.
  • @moto70 I never said that, fwiw
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @moto70 I never said that, fwiw
    You're right, it was Ali. I may have still interpreted it wrong even though I now have the right person.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!