The Last of Us - Spoilers, not spores
  • You've not played the game Brooks. The one thing you haven't done is played the game! The sense of immersion in a game world has been matched only by Half Life 2 in my opinion. It's about feeling like you're somewhere else.

And I'm sorry you're missing out on that.
  • No, I'm not. I don't suddenly suspend my critical faculties just because I've a pad in me paws, never have never will. Sorta hope I'd established this rep to fuck and back by now but eh.

HL2 is also full of dumb problems and I certainly have played that, if that helps. It's certainly more trashily written than Last, taken as a plot/script entity.

Sense of location in both pieces is only part of the whole. If I actually do want to 'feel I'm somewhere else', well, that's why I'm an Occy Rift booster.
  • Brooks wrote:
    No, I'm not. I don't suddenly suspend my critical faculties just because I've a pad in me paws, never have never will. Sorta hope I'd established this rep to fuck and back by now but eh. HL2 is also full of dumb problems and I certainly have played that, if that helps. It's certainly more trashily written than Last, taken as a plot/script entity. Sense of location in both pieces is only part of the whole. If I actually do want to feel I'm somewhere else, well, that's why I'm an Occy Rift booster.

Maybe you should. Do you actually enjoy playing  games? I can't see how anyone who plays this game could fail to enjoy it. Jesus, even the missus loves it and she hates games.
  • Bully for her?

Suspension isn't a choice. Good work achieves it auto by doing the right things, if I'm having to consciously look past stuff to a significant degree, it's fucked up somewhere; hopefully I'm well-trained enough to identify the where. These are really basic consumption conditions.
  • Just play the game for fuck sake. Spouting criticism on here when you've not even bothered is not doing you any favours. That last post didn't make a lot of sense. Maybe you're 'fucked up somewhere'.
  • Well this argument certainly won't remain circular as hell
  • It won't, nowt to add. I've learned something about a poster that I didn't know before. That's a shame.
  • This is a thread about a game. A game you've not even played, yet you've formed an opinion on it and dismissed it. That's a shame.

What have you learnt?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Hello!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

PROS
    Story - It had one, it made you care for the protagonists.
    Graphics - One of the best real worlds we've seen.
    Sound - Everything sounded real, I'd say the best I've ever heard in a game.

CONS
    Gameplay - Not survivalist enough.
    Ending - No choice. A good or bad ending would have rocked, multiple endings for each, wow!
    The End - Gutted it did. Whoever makes the bastard child of this, Skyrim and Minecraft will be a man amongst gods.

With this I am off to watch the video that I got with the season pass.
  • Good job mate.

Now, after reading the Edge interview, how did people handle the surgeons at the end? I shot dead the first two and stoved the last one in with my foot...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Good job mate. Now, after reading the Edge interview, how did people handle the surgeons at the end? I shot dead the first two and stoved the last one in with my foot...
    I went to disarm the surgeon but Joel instead grabbed the scalpel and killed him, I then grabbed Ellie and ran leaving the two assistants alive.
  • Combine it with Skyrim have you taken leave of your senses?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Combine it with Skyrim have you taken leave of your senses?
    I just like open world and I would love to play a true survival version of The Last Of Us now I have played the story version. I'd love to see that same detailed world but with all of it open to us, I'd love to have to craft things, to leave areas until I have slightly better skills (not a super-human approach mind), to find safe houses and most important of all to find allies. I loved meeting the other fella and his kid and I felt that this part of it was missing in the game, the fact you meet hardly anybody that is friendly.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that The Last Of Us be changed but more that if they are thinking of doing something else then this is what I'd like to see, why should a good game just be stuck in one genre?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Good job mate.

Now, after reading the Edge interview, how did people handle the surgeons at the end? I shot dead the first two and stoved the last one in with my foot...

i left all 3 alive and well.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    Good job mate. Now, after reading the Edge interview, how did people handle the surgeons at the end? I shot dead the first two and stoved the last one in with my foot...
    i left all 3 alive and well.
    Like I said I didn't want to kill anybody but as the surgeon ran towards me he ended up on the floor!
  • I put a round in his head, no hesitation.  Left the other two.  Haven't read the Edge interview yet so dunno what this signifies.
  • I reacted and fired my weapon when the first surgeon went for what ever was on the counter opposite Ellie. I thought it was in keeping with Joel's character. He turns into a nasty piece of work later on in the game. Brilliant stuff.

Does anyone know how the weapon pick ups work? I don't remember too well. I know you have to pick up the revolver at the start but what about the other weapons? Do you have to actually pick any of them up? Just wondering if it's possible to get through the game. without anything other than the revolver...
  • Pretty sure you do have to pick them up (unless they're given to you, like the shotgun).  I walked right over the scoped magnum, would have missed it but for the unfamiliar icon that popped into sight.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Interesting bit in the making of vid. One of the chaps says that they could have told the story with an infection that kills you but because it is an action game and not just a story the player needs to experience the urgency and danger of the infection and that is why the infected were included.

Pretty sure you do have to pick them up (unless they're given to you, like the shotgun).  I walked right over the scoped magnum, would have missed it but for the unfamiliar icon that popped into sight.
    I nearly missed the Shorty, I'd already walked past it once before I spotted it.
  • Love that gun, it got me out of some sticky situations alright.
  • I thought the doctor was going to tazer joel, panicked, and used el diablo on him. Will try to walk past/go for a non-fatal leg shot IF I can make it there on my survival run.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    This is the the part I mentioned earlier...

"One of the things we kinda struggled with is to say if we really want to ground this world and make it, is so like, realistic maybe we shouldn't have anything that can be perceived as a monster. Maybe like by just having an infection that kills people and it's all about humans and how they deal with this post-apocalyptic society, you know different people, how they survive, this may be enough. And what we realised is that because we are making an action game a lot of the storytelling happens on the joystick and once we removed the infected it's like all of a sudden now we can't tell the story through gameplay of what happened to the world and that's where we kind of went back and brought the infected back in because it lets you see once you're fighting them the threat that people had to deal with that otherwise would just be really cerebral and people could talk about it but you couldn't necessarily experience it and that just wouldn't have worked."
  • I get that.  I've been wondering what it would have been like without the infected, seeing as I much preferred the human enemies, but I can accept that just fine.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I spent the whole game silently bemoaning the fact that the game was populated by secondary characters voiced by overfamiliar voice actors, then the credits came up and I realised that two of the major characters were voiced by the most overused voice actors ever and I didn't even notice!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I spent the whole game silently bemoaning the fact that the game was populated by secondary characters voiced by overfamiliar voice actors, then the credits came up and I realised that two of the major characters were voiced by the most overused voice actors ever and I didn't even notice!

One was Drake (Noland North), who was the 2nd?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Joel?

EDIT: Actually I'm just about to start watching The Killing so I'll keep my eye out for Ellie, see what she's like in front of a proper camera and not a mocap set-up.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Joel?

Yup.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Joel?
    Yup.
    I'm crap unless it is blatantly obvious (and even then I'd struggle to notice) but looking at his résumé he does appear to have been in quite a few!

You should watch that making off, the part where Joel loses Sarah is, erm, interesting?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    According to the stats I killed 530 people during my playthrough, although that includes restarts. Seems like quite a lot given the population of humanity is supposed to have been absolutely ravaged.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!