The Last of Us - Spoilers, not spores
  • Ohhh, misread you, sorry. Bit of a stickler cause the voice actings almost uniformly outstanding. That said i still think comparing the violence of badass and that in the last of us as completely incongruous, and im glad folk other than you appreciated that

Of all the directions gaming can go on, a ponderous tale about more humans trying not to die is not the most imaginative route, but i'd love gaming to produce some traction with the wider world... just cause i would, cause if you favour the indie darlings they automatically become more accessible to all simply cause wider appeal opens more people to digging deeper in the medium

Last Of Us presents possibly the boldest attempt yet to incorporate accessible mechanics with a plot that while, maybe not filmic, could well make for a memorable HBO show, if that snares people then more are subjected to the options out there

I think its a superb game in many ways, and probably the high watermark in big budget games made thus far, and the afficionados can pick holes in it all day long, its showing a lot of people an easy entry into something they can enjoy without feeling too bad its a videogame, i cant help but think its the first thats actually done this, and i think every strata of the industry will benefit from this
  • Yeah I mean rather this than whatever-the-fuck Kojima's doing next, even as I know the game design, or at least variety of things one can do, is likely to be far better developed in MGS5.
  • mgs is forever up its own arsewards, something this game avoided nicely
  • They make a reasonable comparison, not even considering that they're both stealth games. One aims all over the damn shop with its scenario and buggers it up on nuance, rhythm; the other isn't nearly so wildly ambitious but is much more convincing in its downtimes.

Then again, nanotech soldierspy is probably a better fit for outline-scan-thruwall-vision than hairy dude/grubby teenager with mere backpack, plank, crap knives.
  • I didn't mind the listen ability at all, its a little odd in that it offers x-ray vision but (even given irl if you get shot you die and bandaging your arm wont fix that) its good to show some kind of intuition and awareness you cant really get by sitting closer to your tv
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Last proves to me that a good story can be retrofitted, but we've known this was possible since our days of adventuring in text. It's an overdue realisation and not a revelation.

Advancing the game half is the head-scratcher. I think a rummage through some 8-bit computer tapes is a better plan than keeping conventions current.
  • It's more about writing for the game half, which basically means dialing back things and going for granular experiences in a rich space than the A-to-B stuff. Like, if you need to contain a death and restart rule, that has implications for your entire context (see Dark Souls).

It's not story as we receive it in other media, but there are stories to be had. This isn't a fresh point, of course.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    granular experiences in a rich space

Multifarious self-imagined experiences in a Commo-Speccy space. I totally agree.

Disconnecting until our looking glasses are no longer poised over modern systems. Recalling yeux sans hardware visage.
  • I like the idea of wider implications of storytelling in the media, implementing it? Not so easy, Dark Souls was a very rare example of an intrinsic device of gaming becoming a central narrative aspect of a game

Its hard to imagine such ingenuity popping up often, and the media needs much more maturity to implement that fourth wall realisation naturally, i'm just glad this game could pull off a more traditional tale while using it's gameplay conceits as a strength

You could imagine a divide between games validating themselves and their storytelling by being games, and those that try to implement more traditional devices through game mechanics, but its all good to me. If this game hadnt lacked momentum in its center third im sure more people would be supportive of it.

Escape, most stories in games ARE retrofitted, even your fave ones, because the labour of implementing a complex narrative in the context of actually creating art for it is immense, but i did feel in this games sense they achieved what they set out to do. 80% of any games narrative is complete hoo haa they just stretch stuff around to fit, the process demands it, to come out of the end of all that a cohesive piece is a great achievement
  • Like, one of the most convincing and brill adventure games evarr is A Mind Forever Voyaging, a text game about a literal computer program roleplaying as a human being to discover how fucking awful American becomes following the implementation of a series of libertarian policies. It is nearly three decades old.

Seems a blatant point to make but I still think sci-fi scenarios are the best fit for stuff that is still overwhelmingly at the mercy of computerisation and its shorthands.
  • And how do you give that graffix
  • Graffix of teh mind

Though actually there's no reason that game couldn't be redone as a GTA thing now.
  • You'll be complaining forever if some of the gems of ye olden days dont make it to current gen consoles, i have some favourites of my own, can understand antipathy towards human shaped things shooting each other in every game going but i just see it as some slowly advancing maturity

I think indie gaming's going to create the surprises here, but on topic, its nice to see a money maker try to pull the same surprises. I do still find it brave. I guess i find it conservative in comparison to some things too. But its all relative innit
  • It's just weird that in some places the medium has been adequately mature for ages, though granted all things IF kinda exist in their own zone with little significant audience overlap. May not even be fair to consider them, given how much more freedom they have.

Not gonna regret pining for a time when producers were entirely convinced that the way to mega revenues lay in doing something spanky, even disturbingly fresh each time. They were wrong, but the good kind of wrong.
  • Its a matter of presenting it in a way that most folks can digest with gusto. Maybe quite a puzzle that needs much more work, of course IF has been on top form because it doesnt involve coordinating 100+ people into making something that will make money, when the faberge egg is to get all that manpower and all that money together to make something that validates the idea of actually interacting with something as something invaluable and unforgettable, in preference to say, watching coronation street

We see lil bits of scaffolding being erected to create this mighty fortress of awesome all the time, this game's a few nice bricks in the edification. Needs more
  • I think that's the healthiest takeaway from this, unfortunately it's a rare instance of sobriety in a broad pit of ofmgmfggmgfgffgfg[10]xCITZEN KAN
  • It's a rare glitch. My god Brooks you're really scraping the barrel mate. I feel quite sorry for you that you don't appreciate a game such as this, but express your excitement for one of the most stale, hackneyed and downright stupid franchises in videogames.

Metal Gear Solid. 

Lol.
  • I don't think I expressed anything of the damn kind. MGS is more a mountain of misfiring bollocks than good times. Almost a barrelshoot. Its cutscenes are a true lesson in What Not To Do in nigh every category.

The new one will, however, provide lots of gadgets and ways to use them on things. It's what they do. Everything else will be riddled with preposterous, laboured junk, anime castoff angst and bad jokes, Kiefer Sutherland or no.

The vid was a laugh-with rather than a laugh-at. Jesus you guys
  • Well gadgets wouldn't work in a game like The Last Of Us I'm afraid. The gameplay is actually really fucking good fun mate, it doesn't need gadgets. It maybe Uncharted with knobs on, but in the context of the setting, the gameplay is very entertaining. I enjoyed every minute of it, and that's rare for me these days. As a mature gamer, I can't think of a game I'm less pumped about than another fucking Metal Gear...
  • Not arguing MGS is ultimately more worthwhile just because gadgets, merely that the gadget development and range of functions will be higher and by those metrics, better. If you want to do hilarious things with soldier AI and a tube of toothpaste and an orange and see off unusual boss characters and briefly disguise yourself as a wall, Team Kojima are your boys and girls.

Last isn't turning me off because it's not fucking Metal Gear, its limitations are to an extent its own.
  • Just because it has limitations doesn't mean it isn't a stunning piece of work. Every game has it's limitations. Seems to me like you've got a vendetta against something that is clearly head and shoulders above anything else out there qualityc and story wise.
  • You've a very low threshold for "vendetta".

In a narrow field of AAA cutscene-game-cutscene things, yes, it's got some clout.
  • Lots to read, main point I picked up was reloading checkpoints dulling urgency, atmosphere and reward.

That's unfortunately true, and I'm not sure games will ever get beyond that.
  • Brooks wrote:
    You've a very low threshold for "vendetta". In a narrow field of AAA cutscene-game-cutscene things, yes, it's got some clout.

Wrong word I suppose but you do seem to have a problem with it. How much of the game have you actually played?
  • Zero, but I've played enough videogames to interpret extensive footage from playthroughs, they tell me all I need to know about how this functions. That's adequate for a linear title, and doesn't actually undermine any of my criticisms. Gunn didn't play through it either (I think) and he's dead keen on the show.
  • I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.
  • Well the points he's made, subjective as they are, are easy to understand and appreciate. I just don't agree with them.
  • I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

I'm sorry for your sucking at interpretation? Srsly there is nothing so mysterious about the experience that it can't be captured and commented on, all the interesting stuff is discreet e.g. folks making plot dissection threads like this one. Hell, they program these things to be as plain to read as possible now (this is some quantity of the problem in some instances). At worse I miss out on the physical nuances of the player-characters as manipulable objects, and this game has a lot more on its mind (and certainly its sleeve) than that. I'd be all the less charitable had I actually gone out my way to locate and load a copy only to discover all these annoying design tropes. Talk about your emotional impacts...
  • Shoulda ended in Winter this. The giraffes, COD enemies and the 180 of Joel's treatment of Ellie in the last hour really undid some good work.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!