theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Oh, it only knocks the volume down for me, not kill the track.

Sorry, I was guessing there was a reg key, I've not seen/looked for one.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    How inconsistent.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Might be because I have no local tracks and cloud stream everything?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That'd be a shit reason.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm using it again now and it's not even knocking the volume down.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah I am sure it's something weird on my end.

It's not exactly easy to know where the settings are. Or even why it would have this setting where it stops the track on a loss of focus.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well as I say, earlier the track kept playing but it was knocking the volume down, now it isn't.

Update required MS.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm installing Vis.Studio 2012 Ultimate...

Also I couldn't find Run As on the Metro apps so this article explains how to...

http://t.co/UWDQD7N7
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Turns out Windows Update is only configured to update Windows OS. Not other MS products. There's a 'Learn more' link under the 'Windows Only' text on the Windows Update control panel. Click that link if it's there, it'll update Windows Update! Then you may have a healthy gig of updates to get.

FFS.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I think Windows has always behaved like that, at least I'm 98% sure Win 7 did.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Again, shit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I suppose. Not switching on updates for things like C++ 2005 redist is a bit shoddy, but people would moan if they did.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I can see there being no point as they're released annually. Also as a pre-req check before you install something like that it will say you need need version 2008, 2010 or whatever.

I am on about Office, Blend and such.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Two monitors with the metro apps on the spare monitor has been mostly rewarding. Observe...

NEu4b.jpg

Fin.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Via : http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Great+Big+War+Game/news.asp?c=47146
    As things stand. Great Big War Game is only available to consumers running Windows RT on a Surface tablet, and not the larger group browsing the marketplace on their PCs or laptops.
    This is exactly the kind of thing I thought was dumb and not going to happen...
    ...a critically acclaimed release [Great Big War Game] that's already enjoyed much success on iOS and Android that is currently generating just £52 (around $83) a week in revenue on Windows RT.
    ...double woe.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's only visible to people running RT because it only runs on RT. Allowing x86 desktop users to see it but then telling them they can't buy/use it would have been dumb.

It isn't just visible to people using Surface, it's visible to anyone running RT. However there's been little in the way of third party RT machines appear yet. Most seem to be going down the for the x86 route.

I've been browsing over the last few days and it's pretty difficult to find a Win8 machine in pure tablet form that isn't Surface or out of stock or specced to Ultrabook levels/price.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It seems short-sighted that something for RT can't be emulated on windows 8.

In act, downright dumb.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It doesn't need to be emulated, RT and x86 versions come from the same code base. They just don't have an x86 version in the store because they've sold the rights to the PC version (and by extension the x86 App Store version) to someone else who haven't released it yet.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    But generally for anthing that's released on RT, can it work on Win8 without any further work or change from software released for the RT version?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If you've written using managed code you can produce one app package that runs on x86 or ARM. If you've used native code you need to produce two versions one for each platform but still from the same original code. At least that's the theory.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Understandably a Windows version by someone else would have better assets, presumably why it's been sold. Still find it comical that they couldn't have released the Win8ARM make-over on Win8x86 still.

Essentially they've screwed themselves.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If anyone really really wants a Metro port of VLC you might consider backing the Kickstarter as it doesn't especially look like they're going to make it

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro

Personally I'm happy with the built in Video app and don't particularly like desktop VLC but I've chucked £3 their way as a general 'support Open Source' gesture.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aye I spunked on that myself a while back. Thought it would be low-chance of funding.

:/
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They've just shared some UI prototypes, thinking about upping pledge to try and make sure it happens.

vlc-app-home.jpg

vlc-app-home-tabletview.jpg

lol at the passive aggressive Android tab bezel.
  • Skim reading through, seems W8 is getting there.

Had a brief look in JB yesterday at some of the newer laptops/tablets etc to see what the go is.

I know I was asking elsewhere about andriod lappies/tablets and whether they are there yet, but had a good sound comment from a mate:
    I don't think tablets are quite there yet as a tool for producing anything, but merely as a consumption device.

Maybe some new Microsoft thing is your best bet for that.
    Quite. Had a look at the surface, but I think I want an actual keyboard.

Noticed a few things in JB though. Big 24 inch touchscreens. I figure they're pretty darn new and not necessarily up to much yet, and also obviously not that portable.

What did interest me though were some of the Sony vaio laptop/tablets. Effectively A4 sized screens, which can be detached from the proper keyboards, running W8.

Anyone had much experience with Sony laptops? Seems like just the way to go, eventually. Touch screen, tablet, new OS, still able to use the staples like Office.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It really depends what your budget and consumption/creation balance is.

There's Surface, and there's the TypePad (as opposed to TouchPad) cover/keyboard. But really you're paying top end ARM tablet (ie iPad) prices.

Windows RT (the ARM version) includes Office, but past that you're a bit stuck. The only programs you can install will be the ones from the Store.

It's a tough choice really. ARM tablets with long battery life and lightness but limited to Store supplied apps. Or full on x86 machines with worse battery life and weight but the full flexibility of 30 years of Windows programs.
  • I don't know what ARM is.

But I think I guess your meaning from context.

It's tablets/glorified smartphones with app reliance but more battery (ie a consumption device, as my mate put it) vs a more traditional laptop/pc with a "touch" of tablet about it and less battery.

I suspect I'd fall into the second category, but I'm happy to wait a while for the gear to catch up a little. When I do dive in, it'll be to replace my PC, so even though I don't use my PC for much, I do want it to be a bit more versatile. I fear discovering I've really limited myself.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    ARM tablets are what we've come to think of tablets as, Android or iPad. The Windows version of Android or iOS is called Windows RT (Run Time). The benefits of an ARM tablet is lower power consumption for longer battery life and (usually) slimmer because less battery inside and less space needed for venting. The disadvantage is no backwards compatibility with previous Windows.

The Intel/x86/64 tablets are just normal Windows 8 in a tablet/convertible form factor so have full backwards compatibility but have higher power drain so are thicker for battery and venting.

Of the three ARM tablet choices between Android, iOS and Windows RT, then RT is the closest to a traditional PC. You can add storage, use Office, have a desktop, use normal file management, connect a printer, connect an ordinary USB mouse and keyboard. It's closest to a PC, but it still isn't a PC. Beyond office you're relying on 3rd party developers targeting the platform for content creation/productivity apps.

If you're intending on it being a straight PC replacement I'd be tempted to look for an x86 tablet running Windows 8. They'll get better and cheaper all the time. It's a shame Intel force this choice really. If they'd had a proper low power chip ready to go years ago it would have saved everyone a lot of arse. Although tbf the new Atom chips are getting there. Slowly.
  • cheers.

That all makes sense. Hopefully the timing of me needing to buy one lines up with some exciting developments/hitting of stride.
  • Polaris office. Was having a look at some of the andriod tabs again. The Asus ones for look great. Have people rooted the tabs like they do with the phones?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!