theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yeah, tap the Win key and start typing. Doesn't really answer your other complaint but it is quicker than moving the mouse over to the Charm bar.

It's essentially the same number of steps as the old way just arranged differently.

You can then use the arrow keys to move between App, Settings, Files, then press Enter to search.

For all Win8's touch optimisation I've noticed they have worked pretty hard to make keyboard use quicker/more intuitive as well.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    All in all I'm liking or getting used to most of the changes. However I swear to God if I open the Charm bar and press the Start button expecting to find the shutdown button one more time I'm going to hurt something.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    All in all I'm liking or getting used to most of the changes. However I swear to God if I open the Charm bar and press the Start button expecting to find the shutdown button one more time I'm going to hurt something.

I dont like the charm bar. It's too far away from where I'm used to being (the bottom left)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    I dont like the charm bar. It's too far away from where I'm used to being (the bottom left)

This might not help but the short cut is Win+C
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    On my laptop I can swipe from the left to bring the bar up. Bur its less movement to winkey+c. Or for searching just typing into the metro screen.

I've found winkey+r then entering the command i want 'shutdown' and params is faster than anyway of bringing up the charms, going to settings and then power then selecting what i want t to do.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've made a shutdown shortcut link on the Start screen instead. Fuck you MS I won't play by your rules.

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Woudn't it be better off on the taskbar? That's where I put my lock icon for when I cba with the kb.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Woudn't it be better off on the taskbar? That's where I put my lock icon for when I cba with the kb.

Actually, yes it would. Cheers.

also

/l (Note that this is a lowercase "L" character): Use this switch to shut down the local computer
    /a: Use this switch to quit a shutdown operation. You can do this only during the time-out period. If you use this switch, all other parameters are ignored.
    /r: Use this switch to restart the computer instead of fully shutting it down.
    /t:xx: Use this switch to specify the time (in seconds) after which the computer is shut down. The default is 20 seconds.
    "msg": Use this switch to specify a message during the shutdown process. The maximum number of characters that the message can contain is 127.
    /y: Use this switch to force a "yes" answer to all queries from the computer.
    /c: Use this switch quit all running programs. If you use this switch, Windows forces all programs that are running to quit. The option to save any data that may have changed is ignored. This can result in data loss in any programs for which data is not previously saved.
  • beano wrote:

How do I do this? Where do I drag the icon from?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You have to create a link / shortcut.

I do this in the desktop folder and add the target 'rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation' this creates lock.
    After creating the shortcut I change the icon and navigate to I think the system or system32 directory and hunt out either user32.dll or shell.dll or something and search the library for the lock icon.

If you want to do a shutdown/restart one there are some guides here

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_and_reboot_icons.htm
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh yeaah afterwards rightclick it and 'pin to...' wherever.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You need to make the shortcut on the desktop first then either drag it to the taskbar or right click and pin.

http://www.instructables.com/id/ELT7REBBX4EV2ZDIZS/?ALLSTEPS
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    TOO SLOW
  • OK - thanks guys.

CTL ALT DELETE and then clicking lock is TOO DAMN MUCH!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    winkey+l does a lock too btw.
  • oh

well that might be easiest of all
  • works in Win 7 too.

WOW!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Works in XP believe it or not...
  • I dont believe in XP, bean.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This is atrocious. I'm in the desktop version on OneNote and I go to file open file from the web, as I sync my OneNote files to skydrive. So a IE loads and I find the OneNote file and I click open in OneNote and it loads the Metro app and adds the notebook to that. It won't add it to the desktop app. The metro app is very nice but I would be more productive if I could just use the one note app from the desktop.

Been at it for a while and can't get the desktop app to open the files on skydrive.

What a jarg.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Solution, quick style- delete the metro app. Open in desktop as normal.

Fucking shit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Just had a ridiculous experience with Windows 8.

Decided to update my SSD firmware. First attempt failed. Should have stopped there. Of course me being me I didn't.

Notes said RAID and UEFI could cause problems so backed everything up and de-RAIDed my discs (bye bye everything) then re-installed Win8 using USB (non UEFI), then updated firmware. No problemo.

Re-RAIDed the discs (bye bye everything) and then re-installed Windows 8 from the USB (UEFI). No problemo.

Then I go to update via Windows Update and time and again it completely fails and rolls back changes, wasting about an hour. At this point the penny drops that maybe it's not activated. And sure enough it isn't. Despite me entering product key during install.

So I re-enter the key. "Sorry, this can only be used for upgrades not new installs"...what? I made the install media using the tools and codes you gave me!

Grrr.

Do a search and one site says to Refesh your PC from Metro control panel. That'll never work thinks I. Run it and yes, it worked fine. Windows activated. Didn't even need to put the key in again. fucking load of bollocks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    This is atrocious. I'm in the desktop version on OneNote and I go to file open file from the web, as I sync my OneNote files to skydrive. So a IE loads and I find the OneNote file and I click open in OneNote and it loads the Metro app and adds the notebook to that. It won't add it to the desktop app. The metro app is very nice but I would be more productive if I could just use the one note app from the desktop. Been at it for a while and can't get the desktop app to open the files on skydrive. What a jarg.

Ruh?

When I loaded Office it just synced from SkyDrive without asking what file to open. You should try the Metro version a bit more, works just as well as the desktop one. Weird that they're giving away one of their best products.
  • Having 7 GB of Skydrive storage with my phone for free is amazing, auto backs up all my pics for me.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    http://microsoft-news.com/pin-steam-lets-you-do-what-valve-does-not-want-you-topin-steam-games-to-your-start-screen/

Screenshot-4.jpg

URL says it all really.

Just tried it and you have to buy the app to get actual functionality.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've deleted the metro reader app as well.

I've been using messaging though. Although it doesn't always work.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You know you said about it making the Music quiet when you move away from it, I don't think you can turn that off (not without hitting the Registry at least), but you can make it keep the volume up if you pin/window it to the left/right.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I keep my Twitter feed in the dual space.

Got a link to the registry changes one needs to make? It actually kills the tunes, stops the track completely.

I'm quite happy using gMusic now we've got it but quite like how the music metro has designed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!