theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Noticed something odd just now. I've got a 1920x1080 24" screen, whilst it isn't the highest resolution in the world it's still on the larger end. The problem as I'm sure we all know is the further the screen gets from the native resolution of the source the worse it looks. You either watch in a window for quality or full screen with jaggies.

As mentioned elsewhere I've prated The Killing S2 like a dirty hypocrite.

Opening the file (.avi native 720x406) in Windows Media Player (and Center) gives a fullscreen image like this.
    Screenshot2024.png

Opening it in the built in Video app produces this
    Screenshot2025.png

Possibly not the best examples but these are very clearly pronounced (native 624x352)

Screenshot2028.png

Screenshot2027.png

Anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if it's WMP doing a shit job or Video doing a great one. Bit of both probably. Click to embiggen, sorry about the embiggenedness.
  • It'll be WMP being WMP.

How does VLC compare to the video app thing?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's not installed. Will try it later.

Thing is, the WMP images are what I'd expect from one blown up 300%, the Video ones aren't.
  • When video is blown up, the codec should resample/interpolate the image to lower aliasing (cause you're increasing the area the original pixel in the image covers). It seems wmp ismt doing this and 'video' is. You should should stick it to the man and get vlc however imo, its grand and has all the things.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't use VLC because it's one of the ugliest programs I've had the misfortune to see, and balls to having traffic cones as icons.

Anyway, here's the VLC screen shots

Screenshot2029.png

Screenshot2030.png

Much better than WMP but not quite as good as Video. Especially the washed out colours.
  • If you dont mind getting your hands dirty you can prob improve that but hey if video works, use it!
  • Am I right on believing that there is nowhere outside of London to get hands on with a surface?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    Am I right on believing that there is nowhere outside of London to get hands on with a surface?

Apparently. 30 odd temp locations in London and not one outside the capital. Ridonkulous.
  • Might have to scratch that off the Christmas list then.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The look and feel has been almost universally praised so I wouldn't worry about that half. My nagging doubt is the processor keeping up with the action. If it weren't for the fact I'm waiting to find out what price the Pro versions comes in at I'd have got one already. Taken as a whole I think I prefer the MS styling over anything I've seen from others.
  • I'd quite happily jump in, but its for the missus and if it doesnt look right in the handbag shes not having one even though it fills her remote desktop/office needs almost completely.
  • New DirectX is going to be only on win8.

seems a bit of a dick move to force people into an upgrade.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I prefer paid software not adware. ho ho.

Meh. 

I suppose I don't care about Windows 8, because I know the big developers will soon make the switch to
    Open GL. When the switch happens, I'd rather be on Linux than OSX.

Afterall, Apple will be the real reason why such a switch takes place at all.
    Valve's Linux Steam effort is just a very cool sideline.

I mean aside from the Metro UI and the rather silly Direct X 11 lock out (which I seriously doubt won't stick... There'll be a concession) what does 8 offer over 7?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not a massive amount, if you only have a desktop PC, but then £25 to have it isn't a massive amount either.

If you have or want a touchscreen laptop/PC Tablet it's huge.
  • So, how well does this work with a trackpad?
    Might consider installing this over windows7 if the experience is okish...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Is there a Kinect option for Win8 or what? I mean the thing is crying out for it (fuck the haters, etc) srsly.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't think so. Take up of the Windows version of Kinect must be tiny, but I wouldn't be surprised if the community hasn't come up with a hack.

I've been monitoring for a few days now and noticed Firefox doesn't leak memory like a bastard any more, so that's one bonus.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Thing is, the WMP images are what I'd expect from one blown up 300%, the Video ones aren't.

That's what you expect? Really? That is definitely something wrong with WMP, I got better quality upscaling from it back on XP; I can't remember last time I saw aliasing that bad on a video enlargement.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It flickers between really bad and not quite as bad. The first shot is about what I'd expect yes, not the second.
  • Is it affected by the codec the video's encoded with? Could be MS optimising their scaler for WMV-type streams with detriment to other styles.

The flickering suggests, to me, that you're hitting a bottleneck somewhere, but my knowledge of video stuff is relatively basic, so I could be wrong. Have you tried the same files on another computer?

Going on my past experience of Microsoft stuff, it could well be possible to make WMP/C use different codecs and stuff, but it might take some effort.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So Sinofsky is gone gone gone. Without my conspiracy hat on it seems a reasonable time for change if a bit sudden. Surprised he didn't hold out for the big job, guessing Ballmer is keeping his feet well under the table.

http://www.zdnet.com/who-is-julie-larson-green-meet-the-new-head-of-windows-7000007292/
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Why does the music metro stop music when I change focus to anything else?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I like the Windows 8 installed on my SSD takes approximately 10 seconds to go from boot screen to desktop.

I dislike that searching for shit requires me to navigate to the right hand side of my 27'' monitor, wait for the shitty menu to appear, hit the search button and figure out if what I'm searching for is in apps, documents, store, etc.

Is there anyway to bring back the old start menu search bar thing?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You don't need to bring the search box up to search, just start typing.
  • Where would I be doing the typing?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    On the Start screen.
  • But that requires me bringing up the start screen.

I'm pretty exclusively working in desktop mode.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!