Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Anybody know when the Surface Windows 8 version is out?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sorry I'm pandering, but for personal lols.

I thought I read Nov 3rd. May be wrong.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Untitled-44.jpg

Twats!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Is this worth having or not then, I've just ran the checks and everything is fine (just had to update a security dongle) and now the buy it now screen is sat waiting...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's summit new to play with.

It isn't as intuitive on a mouse and keyboard as a touch screen, but it still works. It's Win7 with a fancy Start screen and easy access to apps.

I've noticed problems in IE10 on this forum editing posts, but I was always going to go back to FireFox anyway.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just downloading it now...
  • I see that this http://stardock.com/products/start8/ little app gives the Start button back for the princely sum of £4.99.

I might reconsider and reinstall it, as it seemed to be a very smooth running OS and I had no driver issues that I can remember and all Win7 stuff worked flawlessly.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Hi, wasn't sure where to ask this but are any of you exceptionally good with Word? I've got a long document i've been writing which i would like to tidy up a bit. Mainly in terms of adjusting the borders. If you think you could help please let me know.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Hi, wasn't sure where to ask this but are any of you exceptionally good with Word? I've got a long document i've been writing which i would like to tidy up a bit. Mainly in terms of adjusting the borders. If you think you could help please let me know.
    Word is a piece of piss to use so not sure what help you would need?

If you do get stuck though I don't mind helping you out, unless of course it's your plans to capture and eat women...
  • Not sure if we have a Surface thread but:

Seems Eurogamer don't like it
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Windows 95. That was good.

Not a bloated on-trend eye-offending swoosher.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I have Windows 8 on my work PC now and I can't see what the worry is regarding the Start button, there is still one there if you want to search for stuff but I must say that overall I am liking it.

I do however have one small problem, on the main screen (where my app/icons are) if I click on Mail it sort of zooms into the screen and then simply returns to my app screen? Any ideas/solutions greatly appreciated...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That sounds like an app crash. Music would do that to me on the Consumer Preview.

Have you updated all the apps? Go into the store and there's an update count top right.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    That sounds like an app crash. Music would do that to me on the Consumer Preview. Have you updated all the apps? Go into the store and there's an update count top right.
    I haven't updated anything (because I only bought and downloaded it yesterday I figured everything would be installed up-to-date) but it turns out all the apps are doing it? There is a 15 in the corner of the Store app but even clicking that gives me the same problem, the app 'zooms' into the screen and then I'm back on the start screen?

I really want this to get working properly so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to carry on helping until the issue is resolved!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Um, reboot I guess then go straight into the store and update.

The Music app failed when it seemed to get overloaded and just fart out. Maybe the Mail app is causing others to do the same.

And yes, seeing updates for apps seems a bit weird as it's only just come out but I guess they lock the OS down weeks/months ago and then keep working on the apps. Think of it as a day one patch.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've seen on the 'net that apparently the apps (are these the 'metro apps'?) won't work if there is an admin account on the PC, mine does have an admin account (not used by anybody at all but just there from the initial installation when I built the PC) but I don't have a clue how to disable it?
  • Right, I'm going to try and instal this tonight.

But everything on my (recently repaired) laptop is in Korean and I don't understand anywhere near enough of what it's saying. Plus the installer is demanding I buy Windows 8 Pro K version. Which I don't want.

Just how easy is it to install a new language pack on Win 8? Might just do it and install the English language pack.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They are the Metro apps yes. I've not head of this admin problem though.

Also, bring up the Charm bar (on the right hand of the screen (or WIN+C)) select Settings, and then Change PC Settings. Then go down to Windows Update at the bottom and see if there are any updates there.

You'll find the user accounts in the same area so that might be where you disable the Admin account if it comes to that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Right, I'm going to try and instal this tonight. But everything on my (recently repaired) laptop is in Korean and I don't understand anywhere near enough of what it's saying. Plus the installer is demanding I buy Windows 8 Pro K version. Which I don't want. Just how easy is it to install a new language pack on Win 8? Might just do it and install the English language pack.

Hmm, interesting question.

I can't see a quick access to the language bar like Win 7 had on the log in screen.

You can change the language/region using the normal old style Control Panel. Though how you'd get to that without knowing what to click I'm not sure. I could screenshot the steps if it comes to it?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've disabled Admin (using cmd) and still the same problem, no metro apps are working but all my software apps (Composer, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) launch fine.

gggrrrrr
  • That might end up being immensely helpful.

I'm fairly sure I can muddle my way through though - A quick bit of research suggests it's a lot easier to install languages in 8 than it was in 7.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    I've disabled Admin (using cmd) and still the same problem, no metro apps are working but all my software apps (Composer, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) launch fine. gggrrrrr

Have you managed to run all updates? If so then I'm a bit stuck. I'll do some searches.

You are running on a screen with a resolution 1366x768 or above aren't you? I assume you are but thought I'd check.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yep, 1920 x 1080...

I much prefer Windows 8 already so it is annoying that this one thing is playing up...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It was Avast, I disabled it for 10 minutes and all the apps launch and work fine now.

Not really sure what to do as I like having Avast running...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, interesting.

I decided not to install Avast and try Windows Defender instead.

Maybe it's just an update Avast needs to do? Have you tried updating the program (different from engine/definitions)
  • Windows 8 install diary - day 5

Received no contact from MS as promised. Chased them up and spoke to another "Answer Tech". After about 20 minutes of him checking into my case and coming back with  questions I'd already answered last time, he then spends about another 10-15 minutes consulting with a "troubleshooting expert" in another department. 

The advice I received was to contact Apple support for all bootcamp related issues. Now there's a couple of things here. First of all, I thought they'd pull this trick at some point which is why I let them know straight away that I was running the thing on a bootcamp partition. If they didn't support it, they could have told me straight away. Instead I've spent a couple of hours in total just to get to the stage I could have got to within 30 seconds. 

Secondly, its an entirely windows related issue. The upgrade process happens within windows. It's a windows error message on a windows process. I'm not exactly sure how Apple are supposed to troubleshoot that. 

And they've done very little investigation into this really. They have no idea whether its mac related or not. 

No Windows 8 for me by the look of it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I like Windows 8, so much so that I will update my home PC as well.

I don't really get why people were moaing/complaining/bitching/being a tit about the Start Button, everything it did is still there (but done better) so what exactly is supposed to be the problem?
  • So...

I love Windows 8.

The installation process was horrible, but that was all down to trying to install the Korean version without anywhere near the language ability to read the text. Once I had muddled my way through, however, downloading, installing, and setting the UK English language pack to the default was a very easy process.

I've spent a little bit of time fiddling with my Start screen and installing new apps/browsers. The trackpad certainly isn't an ideal way to navigate the system, but I think my issues are more down to the new system itself rather than the interface.

Lovely stuff.
  • App store is a bit of a wasteland still, eh?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The whole process would have been absolutely faultless had it not been for Avast stopping the apps from launching, I was surprised at just how easy the install was for me.

Having spent just a single day with it I honestly cannot see why anybody is complaining, it makes you suddenly realise that on the 'net there are always people who will moan.

I can definitely see myself moving ever closer to getting a Windows 8 equipped Surface.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!