Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Just watched the dev trailer thing on ShopTo and I liked what I saw.

I think it's the comparisons to both Bioshock and Skyrim that are puzzling me as those 2 games couldn't be any further apart from my own experience?
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Tell me about how difficult it is and how much you have to repeat when you die.

what platform? on PC it has the ye olde f5 to quicksave and f9 to quickload so with sensible saving, not a lot

also a word on difficulty, i'm playing it on normal and its not hard enough, like, you have to think like hell (And thinking is the main thing, you do have to crouch out of sight somewhere and scope a location and figure out how you're going to tackle it), but it's not so hard in the end, i tend to just reload if i'm discovered because that means combat and i dont want to kill anyone

i would genuinely recommend playing it on normal at least, and probably its better on a harder difficulty setting, both thinking and doing willbe properly stretched
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Just watched the dev trailer thing on ShopTo and I liked what I saw. I think it's the comparisons to both Bioshock and Skyrim that are puzzling me as those 2 games couldn't be any further apart from my own experience?

i dont think it's anything like skyrim except maybe the blocking/parrying sword mechanic? and i dont think it's anything like bioshock because bioshock was all closed in and clunky and while the game has the superpowers and the openended approach to choice in an area,this game embraces freedom of movement and the most fun bits are the bits where you're outside rather than inside acting like a blink-powered spiderman

best example i can think of atm is the bridge, oh the bridge, i got near the end and realised i'd completely forgotten to check for runes on the way so restarted happily, i enjoyed it just as much (found it just as exhilarating) the second time through and found a bunch of completely different stuff i didnt know was there
  • I read there isnt a New Game + mode. Upsetting. I would like a mode where you couldnt save mid level, thus having to deal with any fuck up you make. I dont really agree with
    LazyGunn wrote:
    i tend to just reload if i'm discovered
    That goes against the purpose of these style of games. Thats for a second play through.

At least you can hide the mission markers.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    After reading these latest posts I've gone from moving some money online and hovering over the 'One-Click Buy' to closing the page down.

Sounds like a pick it up when it's cheaper purchase to me, I wouldn't have lost anything buy not playing Skyrim from day one so can't see this being any different.
  • Deus ex was really boring.

• three1ne wrote:
    That goes against the purpose of these style of games.

I completely disagree, in a game where you dont know the mechanics of each section and the most likely thing upon entering a new area is being discovered by everything and combat being created and you missing a ton of dialogue and story and maybe opportunities to enter certain areas, and you just having to kill everything, not saving and reloading turns the game into an annoying thrashy mess and would reduce my enjoyment of it to zero. Considering i see the natural forebear to this game as Thief, i think i'm borne out by this as being discovered in that game would likely as not end your life, although combat is an option
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    Tell me about how difficult it is and how much you have to repeat when you die.
    what platform? on PC it has the ye olde f5 to quicksave and f9 to quickload so with sensible saving, not a lot also a word on difficulty, i'm playing it on normal and its not hard enough, like, you have to think like hell (And thinking is the main thing, you do have to crouch out of sight somewhere and scope a location and figure out how you're going to tackle it), but it's not so hard in the end, i tend to just reload if i'm discovered because that means combat and i dont want to kill anyone i would genuinely recommend playing it on normal at least, and probably its better on a harder difficulty setting, both thinking and doing willbe properly stretched

I play pretty much everything on 360. Not that that's particularly relevant as I don't manually save any time except when I want to stop playing mid-level.

I'm fine with the thinking bit, in fact I like that, but if I have to restart at the beginning of the level for a little fuck up half way through, I won't bother.
  • You likely won't die from a little fuckup, i just restart because i don't want to kill anyone, there's usually a way out, via combat or evasion and i've noticed the save icon appearing periodicaly through a level so im assuming its autosaving (Actually i think there's an option where it autosaves when you look at your journal, which is often)

So i don't think it's a problem
  • I shouldn't have said "little" fuck up, really. When I fuck up, it tends to be big. Wikipedia says it has a checkpoint system, but not how far apart they are. Is there anything in the game to indicate it?
  • "processing"

Other shopto people had the dispatch yet?
  • AJ_ wrote:
    I shouldn't have said "little" fuck up, really. When I fuck up, it tends to be big. Wikipedia says it has a checkpoint system, but not how far apart they are. Is there anything in the game to indicate it?

Theres a circular icon bottom right of the screen that shows when it's saving, i have noticed it appearing intermittently so i suppose thats it. It may be my personal tastes but thus far there's been no points where i've found any particular section really so hard as to give up or not find retrying it fun. When the turrets and tallboys start appearing it can start getting gritty.

I'm thinking increasingly how absurd the aping of half life 2's graphical touches are at points, essentally like giant lumps of hl2's citadel are thumped into the city at points, and i swear there's a bit where they have the actual combine apc as a prop in it
  • Cool, doesn't sound too bad. I'll stick it on my wish list for when I've done Zelda and (maybe) LA Noir.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cannot wait to get back on this shortly.

Think I'll turn off mission notifications to give it more immersion.
  • PLanning on doing the same. Seems like a world you can you lose yourself in, no need for breadcrumbs.
  • I have them on so i dont happen upon them accidentally, i try to make the objective marker the last place i visit

Edit: Mind,not that that is relevant, something worth noting about this game is after you complete the main objective, or any objective,the level does not automatically end, you're free to roam about and do as you like until you return to whoever takes you away (Samuel the boatman thus far)
  • Last read this thread about page seven, where people started playing.  Ordered it after reading the Edge review.  Not reading any more until I've played a healthy amount.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I hate, no, detest Bioshock, Deus Ex (the latest one) I found boring but Skyrim I fucking loved. 2 outta 3 ain't selling it to me...
    With all due respect, no one here is trying to sell you on a game. We're merely posting our opinions in a thread about the game. If you don't want to play it, don't play it.
    LazyGunn wrote:
    i dont think it's anything like skyrim except maybe the blocking/parrying sword mechanic? and i dont think it's anything like bioshock because bioshock was all closed in and clunky and while the game has the superpowers and the openended approach to choice in an area,this game embraces freedom of movement and the most fun bits are the bits where you're outside rather than inside acting like a blink-powered spiderman best example i can think of atm is the bridge, oh the bridge, i got near the end and realised i'd completely forgotten to check for runes on the way so restarted happily, i enjoyed it just as much (found it just as exhilarating) the second time through and found a bunch of completely different stuff i didnt know was there

Gunn, when I say it feels like a game, thats all I really mean. It feels like a game.

It exudes Bioshock to me; especially in the first section. You're thrown into a world which just exists. You don't know if it's the real world, a fantasy world, the future, the past. You have none of this information. 

My point wasn't that it plays like Bioshock, because it quite clearly doesn't. But it was definitely giving me that Bioshock vibe. Now that I'm a little further in, that vibe has succumbed to Deus-Ex. It feels VERY Deus Ex (the original). Having a closed playground of a level with objectives and multiple avenues to those objectives. Just like Deus Ex.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Shopto dispatched this morn.

Where's DS to tell me about how I'll love this
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Midway through first mission now, decided to stealth everywhere, then combat everyone. Loving the feel and tone of the combat, the movement is precise, which when coupled with Blink lets you feel like you're parkouring the hell out of everywhere.

Just a wonderful game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Where's DS to tell me about how I'll love this

You know how you love to explore in games, to check every nook and cranny to find all there is, how you love a narrative that leads you on but leaves you to your own devices when required, how you can spend hours plotting your own route through the world and levels, how when you enter combat it feels real, weighty and challenging, but how you can avoid that by stealth and your own ability, how a trickle of power leads to a new world of openness and exploration, how you can bomb through it if you wish, but you can spend many an hour over anything, and how the beauty of the world just draws you in?

Thats this, that is.
  • I deeply deeeeply recommend you all get megablink and the agility abilities, dont get the second sight upgrade it kind of ruins things, that is all
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    I deeply deeeeply recommend you all get megablink and the agility abilities, dont get the second sight upgrade it kind of ruins things, that is all

Lets not do this.

Lets not start talking about different abilities and why one should get them or not. Because I've had a great amount of use out of the second sight ability. 

Lets at least give everyone the chance to play the game and figure out on their own which abilities they like and when they should use them.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Comparisons to BioShock make me very interested indeed! Too many good games about :(

Yeah there are.

I am very interested in this as well.  Gonna have to rent it from Lovefilm at some point though, still have Sleeping Dogs to finish.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh DS <3
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    First mission down, about 5 hours in. Checked everywhere and only missed one thing. Upgraded some powers and I feel a proper badass now. Blink > Assassination is a bloody lethal combo.

Truly wonderful game, just behind Trials Evo this year for me.
  • You have such good good things to look forwards to DS. The bridge! Oh gods the bridge.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That whole mission was tension filled!
    Spoiler:
  • I love knocking people out, its so much more satisfying than killing them

I may not actually go for too much stealth on my second run and go for pure amusement, the stop time, megablink and ermm.. windblast skills? come to mind as being hilarious in combination. Or maybe possesion too

I had somethings to do today so i didnt play, but i thought of all the things you could do in this game, and the mind boggled

Spoiler here, dont read until youve reached the masked ball
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I got stop time, its beautiful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!