The Game/Book Club- Bioshock - Use a golf club through choice by 18/2
  • I'm going to lag behind a wee bit. I have had a really busy week at work and its my stag at the weekened so I haven't played it in a while. I will just avoid the thread until I catch up!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Yeah, difficult to play on week nights. I hope to put time in tomorrow and Saturday to get to the checkpoint. Despite my slight reservations from last couple of sessions, I am looking forward to this.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay, will move checkpoint to Sunday. But SRSLY, don't give up till this checkpoint. And I bet afterwards you won't want to
  • Oh Im certainly not giving up! I will probably catch up over half term.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I managed to do one of last weeks bounty's, it was the Big Mama one. Now onto the Eugenius mission, have the day off tomorrow, so we'll see how far I get. Have had quite a rough week, and being very tired all the time doesn't really help me.
    Had some fun with the Mama bounty, the environment she was in was a bit more tactical laid out, so I had the chance to play around a bit, plus I think I've got most ammo types now. I like the one that makes you puke. Only can't really find a way to lure them towards you one by one, trap them, and capture them alive. Too often I find myself with just too many enemies around me that I have to kill some of them.
    Overall opinion, environment design isn't that great (yet), feels all too blocked out, in stead of a natural environment. Getting used to the gameplay, still occasionally find myself in the wrong view, and then of course it doesn't matter which button I use, I get confused as what to do, and loose health. Jumping still shit, specially when it's a more precise jump. (There's one in the sewers, on your way to Big Mama that I had to do several times, almost gave up again). 

I guess by going on what Reg says, this checkpoint will be quite hard to miss? Something big storywise will happen? How many bounties should I have done till I reach this?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just, look, when something game changing happens you'll know where you are ;)
  • Aye, you really can't miss it. 

@Nina: If you're still in Buzzarton you have the couple of missions there as well as the (much better) Mongo Valley bounties to go before the current checkpoint. About six bounties in total after Eugenius, roughly four hours gameplay.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm usually very slow at progressing in a game. We'll see, this last mission I actually liked, and made me play through a bit further than I originally planned.

And we'll see about missing that checkpoint, I'm very good at missing importing story things as well, usually because I get distracted by something else. This is mainly a problem in games where you're able to control the camera yourself during cutscenes (hello CoD4 and KZ2, I think I missed all the explosions/nukes because I got distracted by the way a flower moved).
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I don't get the fight with Palooka. How'm I supposed to be able to take him alive? I've not killed a single bounty yet.

Fuzzles or boombat make him drop down.  Before that put a load of fuzzles near the doors so he can't get back up.  He rarely comes to the ground a second time.

edit: see you've done it now.
  • Yeah, but it was real close. Like this close ><
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think Palooka is my next fight, did 2 this morning, the Eugenius one, and the one that set the farm on fire. Only one trophy behing Hylian_elf, so I'll pretend to be on track.
    I actually don't really care of capturing them alive or not, as long as I will progress to the game. Might have been a better idea to just put it on easy for this, but normal has been chosen, normal will be the difficulty I finish it.
    Game is still getting better at environment/level design, which makes the combat more fun as well. Although I still think R3 is to easy to click, keep getting confused by the views. Might be more a ps3 controller fault then a flaw in the game.

On what platforms is everyone playing? I can see from Elf's trophy list he's playing, but I notice Reg to be on the first two bounty's? Not updating automatically?
  • Glad you're enjoying it more. I'm playing on my oldbox, never had a problem with the controls other than some dodgy third person jumping. The analogue sticks still feel lovely and need a good firm click.

I was thinking about getting it on Steam, but don't think my laptop will run the HD'd version.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay. Final deadline is to FINISH IT. 

Nina - I've been playing on my NEW OLDBOX instead.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ah, I see.

Yikes, finish, I don't think I can manage that. Wednesday - Sunday is all booked by work, have some time tomorrow and maybe tuesday. It's not a game I can play for hours. 

Really gonna do my best to get to the deadline, as I'd like to join the next one with Bayonetta as well.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Okay. Final deadline is to FINISH IT.  Nina - I've been playing on my NEW OLDBOX instead.

Have you got it on PS3?  It is much better, and there is a hard difficulty which evens out the difficulty of the original.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do, but then I went purist. Should I have stuck with PS3?
  • I'd be interested in knowing the differences as well. I've been offered a cheap PS3 by a mate but other than this there are only a couple of games I'd be interested in. 

Upgraded visuals would be great, not bothered about trophies or a different difficulty setting. My main issue would be with the controller. Three generations down the line and I still can't get used to the stick positions or shoulder buttons in place of triggers, playing FPS's with one is almost impossible for me. 

If there's no new missions / areas or ammo types and the differences are cosmetic rather than gameplay based, I'll happily trade those HD visuals for a controller I can use.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pff, so, I've arrived at Palooka's base. Bosses like this made me wish I'd never start a game, as they greatly reduce my chance of actually finishing. Can't seem to change the difficulty neither, so that's a bummer. Will try again later, but if I keep getting hit by missiles, I might give up.

Have fallen as far back as possible (I think), and only managed to knock off Palooka once or twice, then instantly getting killed by moar missiles, or one of his smaller buddies.
    Read some strategies about covering the ground in Fuzzles, but I hardly have time for that, will look at some more. Didn't even manage to get off 1/3 of his health this morning

Sigh, just when I started to like this, the game throws this at me. I just don't have the time to try a boss over and over all day.
  • I'll post my strategy later; but just thought I'd mention for now that I am on my way to Explosive McGee and getting a bit bored again. I seem to only enjoy the actual boss fights. I seem to be thinking to myself that I could be spending time playing something that I fully enjoy as opposed to something I am partly enjoying. 

I'll still finish it, just not by the deadline. I'm going to prioritise other games now as I don't seem to be enjoying this as much as I would have liked. A game changing moment is meant to arrive. If it arrived sooner it would have been better for me.
  • @Nina: Use the fences to hide from the missiles, pick your moment to attack. It's much easier to go for the kill With bombbats and stingbees.

@Hylian: This game just doesn't sound right for you. The bosses were my least favourite part (still liked them though), I loved travelling across the world and the FPS combat. The game changing moment doesn't change that, more the structure of the missions.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    If only you could share saves, I could send mine to elf as soon as a boss fight starts, and he can send it back as soon as he has to explore. I really start to like the trip towards a boss, as it seems I can apply my own way of playing and strategy more than with the bosses.

@stormy, I am using the fences (well, I tried to) but my health still seems to drop quite drastically as soon as I peak around them. Will he send more fire power your way the longer the fight? Felt like that. I'll try it again, am usually not very good at fights where I have to pay attention to the environment for clues (each time the shield gets powered up) and the random enemies, and the boss.
  • The PS3 is the same game but it runs at (mostly) 60fps and the controls are more sensitive as a result.

Because of this, I find the final'ish battle easier on the PS3 even on hard difficulty simply because I can change between 1st and 3rd person modes quicker and sprint away when I need to.

Plus, if you've played it umpteen times like me, the hard difficulty helps makes the game more challenging for the non boss fights.  Capturing the bosses alive is a bit too hard now though.

Controller wise, I am not a fan of the PS3's.  However, I found it played this perfectly well.   I also think there is less deadzone on the controller compared to the xbox's so I prefer the PS3 version all around.

The only flaws with the game are the slow up and down camera angle in 3rd person (was better in the original) and the ease in which you can smack into objects when charging in 3rd person (exactly the same as the original).

I'm a Stranger fanboy and I wouldn't go back to the xbox version now.

Nina, you need to hide behind fences (don't get too close to them), and then time your attack against the various weapons around the site.
  • @stormy, you're probably right, this probably just isn't for me. But that won't stop me from playing here and there until I finish it. I'm not finding it a bad game such that I won't finish it, just not really exciting and addictive like I find, say, Halo or Half Life or something.

@Nina. The strategy I used, with a couple of tips from here, was:
    1. Hide behind fences nearest to stage. Shoot out 3 of the 4 power node things.
    2. Wait til he has fired off missiles and they hit the fence and he takes a little breather, then come out and shoot last node. Immediately belt him with boombats.
    3. Hopefully the boombat blast should throw him off stage. If not, not to worry. Zzap him then boombat, repeat until he gets shield up again and starts firing missiles.
    4. A lot of health and stamina should have dropped. He'll probably send out two big flamethrower dudes. Stay behind fence and wait til they come round for you. Thudslug and zzap them. You can bee them too and kill them off.
    5. When you get a chance, do the same as before, take out 3 nodes, then the 4th, then boombat/thudslug him.
    6. He'll drop down. By now health should be failry low. You'll struggle if you want to take him alive, but if you wanna kill him, it's easy enough to thudslug/bee him. Remember to Zzap in between ammo reloads of the heavier weapons.
    7. Taking him alive... I got a bit lucky and had him up against the stage wall. I repeatedly walked back/forward, jump over missiles, Zzap him, watch missiles, walk back/forward etc. Got him alive when just one more Zzap would've killed hi,.
  • @Nina: It is a damn tough boss fight, Hylian's strategy is spot on. Go for the kill if you need to.

@mrsmr2: Okay, I'll have to give the HD version a go. Think I'll try the Steam one first, if it runs then great, if not I've only lost eight quid.
  • Have a look at the oddworld forum first.  I think people were reporting less than great performance on PC.
  • For survival tips against groups, remember Fuzzles are great for disrupting enemies - either fire them directly at enemies, or fire them at the ground to stop enemies getting to you.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Gonna try that later, so the key at the start is not disabling the shield the first chance you get, but  let the missiles blow up beside you first... There is no way to disable the missiles, am I right? Some internet strategies seemed to suggest that, but that might as well have been, avoid, or jump over them.

To be extra sure, I'm gonna put down some fuzzles on the ground where he's supposed to drop off as well.

I have absolutely no interest in taking them alive, no need to make the game harder than I want to.
  • My memory is a bit vague, but I don't think you disable the missiles from Packrat.  But there are other weapons attacking you that you should disable first.
  • Nope you can't disable the missile launchers, just take cover as best as you can. Then pick your moment to disable the shield / deal with any other threats.

@Mrsmr2: Just had a look on Oddworld furums, seems there aren't a great deal of options for the graphics settings, could prove problematic for me. I've budgeted for a new PC after christmas (didn't want to wait that long hence the cheap PS3 dilemma), might just wait 'til then. This is my third playthrough this year, can't see me doing it again this side of new year.
  • I thought you can disable the other launchers, aren't there two on the side walls near the front?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!