The Game/Book Club- Bioshock - Use a golf club through choice by 18/2
  • Glad you're enjoying it Aaron. The bounties in the first town are an extended introduction and a mere taste of what's to come. It really does just get better and better.
  • I did the first bounty, and enjoyed it. Started the second bounty and just arrived at the waterworks (where I then stopped for the night). It seemed to be a much larger/open ended area for me to work through.

I already love the main character. He is pretty awesome. The game looks lovely and plays very well too.

Is the main purpose of the game going to be getting bounties then? Should I be doing more?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I'm not gonna say too much, but it's all about the bounties for now. The areas continue to get larger and more impressive as you get further in, giving you room to explore and approach situations as you wish. 

I'm going to crack on with the second town's missions tomorrow, it's hard to stay away.
  • Downloaded this a couple of days ago, even remembered to install it last night, ready for this morning.  Family duties start at 11, so I thought I'd have 45 minutes on it.  Turns out I forgot about the dreaded title updates.  A 45 minute update to be precise.  My internet d/l speed seems to have gone into freefall since I told the BT Infinity team to stop ringing me 'cos I'm waiting for my existing 8mb contract to run down.  Conspiracy theories....

I guess this will have to wait until tonight.
  • Okay then, I have reached the first milestone for the game club. When do I give my thoughts?

• The deadline's the 12th, I'll probably be romping around Mongo Valley by then though.
  • Where does it say what chapter you're on?  I may have played past this week's segment. 
    Spoiler:
  • It tells you when you've hit chapter three during a loading screen on the way to the second town Buzzarton, just before you reach Beek's Opple Farm.
  • Ah OK, then I guess I've just saved a few minutes before that.  A few years on and the quicksave feature is still unusual (and great, imo).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hit the checkpoint last night. Having fun with the different ammunition types although it appears there's only one or two left to discover. I thought they'd be more interesting strategies involved with taking down the boss men alive but it just seems to be about thudslug and zappfly combo spam at the moment.
  • I must confess, due to my brother not giving me any games for the PS3 apart from what was loaded onto it already, plus my fiance wanting to watch TV in the lounge (meaning it was either PS3 or Strictly) I am now much further ahead from the deadline. I am absolutely loving this game.

For any interested:
    Spoiler:
  • I'm also pushing ahead, finished the Buzzarton bounties yesterday and am now heading for Mongo Valley, aaww yeah! 

The Stunks are great, them and the Bolamites are my most used ammo types in these early stages (that all changes later on). I love the Chippunks and Fuzzles the most though despite hardly using them. They're just so cute.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Checkpoint / chat so far deadline tomorrow - ill get there during my all dayathon. Next deadline will go up Sat probs.
  • Was playing just now until daughter decided she didn't want to sleep. Have to play MK7 now as she watches and falls asleep.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yay, just hit the checkpoint.
  • I'm deep into this now, will probably have it finished (yet again) by tomorrow night. The early stages of the game are good fun and do a fine job of easing you in with some neat and tidy level design and simple, small scale combat. The art direction's a joy and the game's sense of humor still raises a smile after whoknowshowmany playthroughs.

It remains one of the best FPS's I've ever played thanks in no small part to some super smooth mechanics and possibly the best weapon / ammo combo ever seen in a game in the creature hurling double barrel repeater crossbow, and yet there's so much more to it than that. Truly glorious.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I haven't reached the first checkpoint yet, mainly to being extremely tired the whole week (I really should go on a wintersleep, this weather doesn't go well with me), and not really liking the game for the first part. 

Was kinda set back by that, I always thought I'd love this game. The graphics are lovely, but the gameplay doesn't really grab me, find the switching between first and third person kinda confusing, text was quite hard to read (but that might be because I was tired), and setting the subtitles on only enables them on cutscenes, not all the other talking that's done. A shame, cause English ain't my main language and I feel I miss something. Even when the voices of the village people really annoy me.

Anyway, was just on my way to my first hunt, did some tutorial jumping and shooting (jumping animation is quite bad) and then arrived in a village where I could turn in the bounty he captured during the tutorial. Did some looking around, smashed all the wooden gates and boxes I could find, secretly hoping there would be some hidden chickens I could smash. Didn't find any, so went on with the next bounty. World so far feels quite empty, and it all feels a bit "created".

Will probably give it another go tomorrow morning, after a hot shower and with some strong coffee by my side.
  • I can understand where you are coming from. I've only ever played the tutorial on Oldbox. I'm liking this somewhat so far, but the jumping is indeed off/annoying, switching views is annoying, specially when game decides to just put you in 3rd person automatically in certain places. 

All feels a bit contrived so far. 

Found the voices and accent great though, but that's just me.
  • It's still very early in the game, the first town and it's missions are just one big tutorial to prepare you for what's to come. The game certainly opens up and becomes much more dynamic as you get further in. 

personally I love the way the switch in perspective is handled, fast and fluid, can't say it's ever given me any problems.
  • I feel I should point out that I am entirely biased, to the point that I see another's criticism of this game as a drastic personal failure on their part. 

I am aware of this flaw and am attempting to amend it through a mixture of hypnosis and self flagellation.
  • Lol, I can tell you're biased such that you can't see any flaws, which is a drastic failure on your part! I guess if its the tutorial stages, it's gonna feel a bit contrived, tutorial levels usually do. Looking forward to the better stages then. 

Switch between views is fluid, yes, by why is it even there? My problem with it so far is when you are in first person and turn after a cutscene or something the game puts you in 3rd person for some reason. Happened on second boss/bounty fight with the guy having a Gatling gun in my face. I was expecting to be in first person, but wasn't.

Jumping is rubbish, no matter what you say, dude. So floaty and forced.
  • I actually agree about the jumping, I still mess up my placement. I also agree about not needing the switch in perspective after cutscenes, you should stay in the view you were in before. I also think some of the interior level design in later stages is quite bland. 

None of these things are enough to dampen my enthusiasm for the multitude of things the game gets so right though. It's a bloody masterpiece I tell ya!
  • Don't get the jumping criticism.  It might look floaty in 3rd person mode but nobody jumps in 3rd person mode anyway (apart from when legging it and jumping gaps , buildings, etc).  For controlled jumping, jJust look down at your feet in 1st person mode and you can time things perfectly. 

1st person mode is for fighting, and 3rd person mode is for getting a better view, fast travelling, and attacking mobs

I've always loved the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person modes.

It would be interesting to see if you have the same comments by the end of the game, or forgive it nearly everything, like me.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Fuck, I had a whole post and then pressed some stupid key combination, and now everything's disappeared.

Jumping: They let you do quite a bit if it in the tutorial, and most of that seemed to be in 3rd person. As soon as I tried it in 1st person later in the game, I fell down. Probably something to get used to, but it feels a bit clumsy.

Did my first bounty this morning (Floyd) and got him alive. Back in town I noticed the shop was selling stuff, so I bought myself some binoculars. Am now at the waterworks, haven't found the way inside yet. Was busy trying to fire chipmunks towards the gates with pins, hoping the guards would fall off, but they didn't. Hopefully the AI won't disappoint. Currently trying to lure them towards me, then zapping 'em and absorbing 'em.

Took a look at the trophy list, and noticed there were also some for collecting crystals etc. That's a plus in my book, I always like to wander around areas and just look around, finding some rewards that way is always nice.
    Will keep on playing, as the game does give hints I'm gonna like it, but the first hour hasn't convinced me yet.
  • @mrsmr2: You wouldn't have to switch to 1st person for precision jumping if the 3rd person jumping was more accurate.

Not that it's a big deal, because like you I can happily forgive this game its really quite small faults in exchange for providing (on multiple occasions) one of the most enjoyable and memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.
  • @Nina: Dunno what to say really, I've always thought the 1st person jumping was as good as 1st person jumping gets, and should solve any problems with the 3rd person jumping.

Fingers crossed that the more you play the more you'll fall for its charms, the thought of anyone not enjoying this game makes me feel a little sad.
  • @mrsmr2: You wouldn't have to switch to 1st person for precision jumping if the 3rd person jumping was more accurate. Not that it's a big deal, because like you I can happily forgive this game its really quite small faults in exchange for providing (on multiple occasions) one of the most enjoyable and memorable gaming experiences I've ever had.

Sure, but once you realise 3rd person is for fast moving, and 1st person is for the main action parts of the game then it doesn't matter.  You'll be in 1st person most of the time anyway.

3rd person is too clunky (the camera being the main culprit) to be used for the majority of the game.
  • I totally agree, but in the early part of the game there's a hell of a lot of fast moving required for the larger open areas. The switch to 1st person as the more dominant perspective hasn't happened yet for those sticking to the Book Clubs deadlines.
  • One of the things that I have really liked about this game is the mixture between stealthy gameplay and action. I love how I can start off lureing people into my high grass and then zapping them but when it all goes tits up, I can just as easily wade into them and take them all out. I really like the health system and the different ammo types are excellent.

I also agree that the jumping is a bit crap but I can live with that.
  • One of the things that I have really liked about this game is the mixture between stealthy gameplay and action.  I love how I can start off lureing people into my high grass and then zapping them but when it all goes tits up, I can just as easily wade into them and take them all out.  I really like the health system and the different ammo types are excellent.

Yup, the health system really is very good and the FPS combat is quite exceptional. When you think that you're only using a single weapon with different ammo types throughout the game there was the possibility that it could become stale, but it's handled so well and with such a wonderful variation to tactics available at will that it is in fact entirely empowering.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!