regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    KRS you DIABOLIQUE
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Or in place of a tv, for example, if mrs reg is wanting to watch something?

I don't get this either.  The whole "use it as a second screen" thing sort of becomes impossible if you switch it to "wife watching Corrie" mode, doesn't it?

Regarding on the move, it's not going to be an actual handheld, is it?  The disc's in the Wii!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It streams, Elm.
    Get schwifty.
  • The 'she's-watching-Enders' mode if the best reason so far for day 1 (assuming there's a headphone socket).
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JUST BUY ANOTHER TV, ALL OF YOU
  • Elmlea wrote:
    JUST BUY ANOTHER TV, ALL OF YOU

How can you not see the awesomeness of this?

Right now I'm watching pre-E3 vids on Gametrailers because she-who-must-be-obeyed is catching up on Samantha Who? on Netlix.

I could be playing Batman right now!!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    I could be playing Batman right now!!

... which you could also do if you had a second TV.  Seriously, it's like the "use your PSP as a PS3 controller" thing again.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Fucks 'sake.  The whole tablet thing is distracting from the whole bit where this is a HD Ninty console.  So what if it's not going to be as razzle dazzle as the other two that are incoming.  Finally it's a new Nintendo console with some half decent horsepower and some decent controls right outta the box.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What if you don't have space for a second tv?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also I'm in it for HD Wii games
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Finally it's a new Nintendo console with some half decent horsepower and some decent controls right outta the box.

I must have missed that particular announcement then.

pffft

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I said 'half decent'.
    Get schwifty.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You cantankerous old git.  ;)
    Get schwifty.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Put the missus on a diet?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Haha
    Get schwifty.
  • I think I thought the screen was smaller on the Wii U and you wouldn't be able to easily reach it with both hands while holding it? After looking at some pics I see that's not the case. Touche! But Dante described the screen being single touch as "a complete waste of time" when it quite obviously isn't. It being single touch still provides a wealth of opportunity for devs (just think of the minigames and QTEs!). Making it multi-touch would be better of course, but to describe it as a waste of time when it works in the same manner as a DS is fucking ludicrous. Plenty of scope there.
    This is all valid but points docked for putting forward QTEs as an opportunity.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dave Cage as a permo laptop narrator; imagine that.
  • monkey wrote:
    I think I thought the screen was smaller on the Wii U and you wouldn't be able to easily reach it with both hands while holding it? After looking at some pics I see that's not the case. Touche! But Dante described the screen being single touch as "a complete waste of time" when it quite obviously isn't. It being single touch still provides a wealth of opportunity for devs (just think of the minigames and QTEs!). Making it multi-touch would be better of course, but to describe it as a waste of time when it works in the same manner as a DS is fucking ludicrous. Plenty of scope there.
    This is all valid but points docked for putting forward QTEs as an opportunity.
    I wasn't being serious about the QTE's so give me my points back!

The DS comparison is perfectly legitimate, Dante. I'm not looking at it with reference to using both screens as something to view, but having a single touch interface that works just fine. There are plenty of applications for that touchscreen that don't require you to look directly at it.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Then you live in a box?

Tiger, sounds to me like some buttons would be a perfectly adequate replacement then.
  • What the actual fuck is this Nintendo E3 pre-presentation thing. The guy talking was fine, but Jesus, what am I watching now?
  • "I think you may agree, that was a little different"

Yeah... different.

Repeat to self, this will have Mario, this will have Mario, this will have Mario
  • Tiger, sounds to me like some buttons would be a perfectly adequate replacement then.
    By that logic you could replace the buttons with fucking marshmallows too. C'mon Dante, there is a lot you can do with a single touch touchscreen that you can't do with a handful of extra buttons.
  • Haven't Sony and MS both categorically stated they will not announce new hardware at E3? With their consoles in the final stretch of their lifespans (for me at least) I think they absolutely must announce new hardware at E3, otherwise what else wil they have to showcase?
    Another year of motion controlled apathy?
    This could the most boring E3 ever.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • That justifies the extra expense and doesn't leave you wondering why they didn't bother implementing multi?

For the record, when you are controlling with a stylus, I absolutely understand single touch. For the vast, vast majority of times you will use this, you will be using your fingers, and not a stylus. So for me, smartphones, and not the DS are where we should be drawing inspiration.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Or in place of a tv, for example, if mrs reg is wanting to watch something?
    I don't get this either.  The whole "use it as a second screen" thing sort of becomes impossible if you switch it to "wife watching Corrie" mode, doesn't it?

I think maybe people have missed Elm's point here.

If you're playing a game that uses the touch screen for interactions. What happens to the touch screen bit when you start streaming the main game to the touch screen?

It gets shrunk to a small square at the bottom? Good luck reading/pressing that.

The touch interactions are moved to a pause screen? That might prove awkward for games that ask you to use both at the same time.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I don't think they'll announce hardware again until it's almost shipping. The Apple thing of saying wow, new, queue for it Monday, is very attractive

Also g, I still believe as well, however likely TGS
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Mod, touching and swiping can still be done when the game is shrunk down to the handset.  I appreciate that some of you are sceptical, and that's healthy, I guess, but blummin hell, some of you seem determined to dislike this new console.
    Get schwifty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yeah I'm sure touching and swiping can still be done, I'm just wondering how they take two screens of content and accommodate them on one.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The developers will figure that out.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!