The E3 Thread of Anger and Hatred and Grrrrr
  • Console manufacturers wanting a cut of any monthly fee is a much bigger reason.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    As you've mentioned before.  Not sure about any of that as I'm not aware what sort of cut the manufacturers would ask.
    Get schwifty.
  • Nintendo are going to be trying to convince people to replace something that they don't use anymore. I don't know anyone with a Wii that has played it in the past year, probably two, maybe more. In fact the people I know with a Wii played SMG1, Wii Sports and Kart when people came over, then it had long since been consigned to the garage, attic, cupboard under the stairs by the time of SMG2. 

The novelty long since wore off for the casual adult crowd that aren't really into computer games. The software dried up and everyone's moved into the camp of Apple. Parents are going to have reservations about being asked to buy something the child hasn't used since two or three Christmases ago. 

I'd expect regular gaming punters to take a wait and see approach based on what's released for it. But if no one buys it, then nothing will be released for it. The 'Mario and Zelda will shift units' argument is true. But it didn't help many 3rd party devs make money from the Wii. 1st party games sold well, most other stuff didn't.

If the Wii U is going to sell, Nintendo need to change some of their ideas. Lots of games, lots of support for 3rd parties producing 'hardcore' games. Still plenty of casual titles too. But less shovelware as it deteriorates trust in the consumer. Nearly everything for the Wii was shit, so you're less inclined to take a punt on a title. 

Like Sony though, I don't think they've got it in them to produce the full-on software blitz they need to shift their new hardware.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    As you've mentioned before.  Not sure about any of that as I'm not aware what sort of cut the manufacturers would ask.
    I'd also wonder how many MMO's are likely to be made in the next few years. Doesn't 38 Studios shutting signal the end of people speculating in that market?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It can quite happily accommodate existing MMOs like WoW.  It's even getting a new one in the shape of Dragon Quest X.  I'll be giving that a try.
    Get schwifty.
  • For me a big problem is that the main 'core' games - Mario, Zelda, Metroid - are in need of a huge rethink (which Nintendo don't seem capable of) or ditching altogether and replacing with fresh IP (which is never going to happen given they're such big brands). They managed to give Mario and Zelda a shot in the arm on Wii, but it was only really enough to cover up the same design templates they've been using since the N64 (cutting edge then but surpassed since), and they haven't known what to do with Metroid for some time. In the past one of the main draws of Nintendo machines was these games - without that it really comes down to how useful, felixible and attractive to developers this new controller turns out to be.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I remember Miyamoto way back before Skyward Sword's release saying the next Zelda would be unlike anything anyone has ever played before. And some thought it'd be Zelda in space and the like.
  • The Wii U screen isn't multi touch is it? Which strikes me as a total waste of time.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don't think so when the controller also has buttons and analogue sticks.  How many hands have you got?  If the screen was capacitive multi touch that would shoot the price up and everyone would be bitching and complaining about that.
    Get schwifty.
  • I have multiple fingers on each hand though Raz.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    @Elm Perhaps, but out of the box and standard is important in my opinion.  That's why I think Microsoft would be fools not to include Kinect as standard with their next console. 

They can't do that because there's 18 odd million people who already have Kinect and won't want to be forced to buy another one.

And if you don't have Kinect you're not going to be keen on being forced to buy one either.

The only way they could justify bundling it is if it gets a massive hardware spec boost, and I can't really see that happening.

What they should do is give you a little mic bar like the Wiimote sensor in every box. Voice control is great, waving your arms about, not so much.
  • The Wii in the house gets used to play SMB, MarioKart and Mario Galaxy and Lego Starwars. 
    While I enjoy playing it, if i have to chose, the PS3 gets fired up every time. 
    I hate to say it, but since owning a PS3 the graphics on the wii look terrible in comparison.
    I remember actually saying 'wow' when I used the HDMI cable on the PS3 for the first time. 
    The old gameplay over graphics argument doesn't cut it for me anymore. 
    Nintendo need to step up and start producing the goods. Otherwise to me - the Wii U is just a wii with an fat Vita under powered controller type thing.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • How would you hold the pad and use multi-touch at the same time? Surely that would be the waste of time. Single touch should be sufficient when you've got the rest of a pad to work with too.
  • EDGE are streaming the Microsoft show live on that website.  Probably a good idea to look around for someone else.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have multiple fingers on each hand though Raz.

I knew you were going to say that!  :)  But do you need to touch the screen in multiple places at the same time when you've got plenty of other input options.

EDIT: Tiger beat me to it.

@Mod.  I assumed Microsoft were working on a next gen version of Kinect.  Are they not?
    Get schwifty.
  • It sorts of defies the point of a touchscreen controller if you're just going to say 'It doesn't have to be any good because you've got a load of other buttons anyway.'
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Eh?  It's a touch screen, it works fine.  It's just not multitouch.
    Get schwifty.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I still think looking down and up again from you lap is a terrible idea.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That I can certainly agree with.
    Get schwifty.
  • Tiger, you'd hold it in exactly the same way you would for single touch.

Plant's vs Zombies on the iPad says that yes, I do need to be able to touch the screen in multiple places at the same time.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Eh?  It's a touch screen, it works fine.  It's just not multitouch.
    If you're only prodding at on-screen buttons then what's the point if you've got buttons built into the thing in the first place? 

Multi-touch lets you do all sorts of stuff other than just jabbing away with a single digit. 

And considering there's the possibility that you'll be pressing this screen quickly to do something in-game, it should be able to register more than one input at a time to avoid frustration. A button not working because you hit it marginally before you lifted your finger off the other side of the screen might be as annoying as hell.

Probably not make or break on whether I'll buy it admittedly.
  • Mod74 wrote:

I agree that it might ruin the interactive experience. Part of getting absorbed into a game is shutting out everything else. I fear the use of the Wii U controller will be added in unnecessarily more as a gimmick that an actual usable feature. I understand it will take time to get the best out of the console but it needs to hit the ground running. 

I eat my dinner at the table to avoid the lap thing - if that was what you were meaning Mod. ;)
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The Wii U is a big DS.

That's that explained in a neatly wrapped up nutshell.
  • Clamshell surely if it's a DS?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Tiger, you'd hold it in exactly the same way you would for single touch. Plant's vs Zombies on the iPad says that yes, I do need to be able to touch the screen in multiple places at the same time.

I'm not even bothering after that.
    Get schwifty.
  • which bit exactly?
  • How would you hold the pad and use multi-touch at the same time? Surely that would be the waste of time. Single touch should be sufficient when you've got the rest of a pad to work with too.

... the same way you hold an iPad and use multi-touch?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    They can't do that because there's 18 odd million people who already have Kinect and won't want to be forced to buy another one. And if you don't have Kinect you're not going to be keen on being forced to buy one either. The only way they could justify bundling it is if it gets a massive hardware spec boost, and I can't really see that happening. What they should do is give you a little mic bar like the Wiimote sensor in every box. Voice control is great, waving your arms about, not so much.

I think they'll do a pair of SKUs like they've often done; one with a Kinect sensor, and one without for those who already own it.  However, when people talk about them "adding Kinect functionality," remember that the sensor was originally going to have a little processor and its own extra hardware?  They cut that out to save cash so everything's done through software.  I imagine that hardware, or the next iteration of it, will be built into your next Xbox.  

I imagine you'll still plug the same sensor into it though, I don't think that needs an upgrade.
  • Mod74 wrote:

Actually, I never thought of that.  I got neck cramp from trying to play Skyrim with a guide book.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Tomb Raider is looking a bit....weird.

And very Uncharted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!