The E3 Thread of Anger and Hatred and Grrrrr
  • Edit: actually, this belongs in the Bunnies thread.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Preparing to be underwhelmed in the hope that I'll actually be blown away by something completely unexpected.

Best to be a pessimist. That way if anything good happens it all seems so much better.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I'm expecting good things from the 3DS including a hardware revision with 2nd circle pad and better battery. More software/app type stuff. New streetquest stuff. Lots of gloating about sales in Japan and interaction between gamers.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How would a hardware revision be a good thing if you already own a 3DS?
  • Steambox announced. Gabe Newell removes one from the depths of his vast trousers and eats it, live on stage.

eeep he ate it whilst it was still alive.

haha i bet you`d still get the fucking whooping and a hollering. It worse than a party conference with a demographic of cheesy, smiling, cock munching fuktards standing about clapping rapturously...grrrrr this threads infectious. :D
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    How would a hardware revision be a good thing if you already own a 3DS?

I own a 3DS and I'd be fucking delighted if a hardware revision came out so I could trade the fucking thing in before the screen self-destructs again. I wouldn't give up the time I've had with it and don't regret buying it, but it's not a great first iteration and I'm not bothered about having to stump up some extra cash for a better, and more durable, model.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Reiterating the ground rules in both these threads.

This is the equivalent of the usual E3 thread, which tends towards negativity and gives the proceedings a good roasting. If you don't like this, go to the other thread. During live events you can say what you like in here, be it positive or negative, you don't have to flip-flop between threads.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Nintendo 3DS: The One We Should Have Made
  • Please just give me no more motion control bullshit. I like to play games sat down. End of. If I want to run/jump/wave things I will do it in real life.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The genre is: Underwhelming
  • Please just give me no more motion control bullshit. I like to play games sat down. End of. If I want to run/jump/wave things I will do it in real life.
    good point well spoke.

Make a controller that gets me a drink and some snacks. Win win winner.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Strangely, Move was the one thing Sony got right this gen and they still managed to fuck that up.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Please just give me no more motion control bullshit. I like to play games sat down. End of. If I want to run/jump/wave things I will do it in real life.
    good point well spoke. Make a controller that gets me a drink and some snacks. Win win winner.

but its good sat down too!
    datura,
    pixeljunk 4am,
    tumble,
    flight control hd.

all good on your comfy ass.

proboubly wrong thread/ unleash the hate!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Strangely, Move was the one thing Sony got right this gen and they still managed to fuck that up.

I'd have to agree.

The only thing they fucked up was the timing.

And that twat Butler.
  • I'm getting in another pre-emptive "Wii U is crap" post.  I don't get it; I could understand how the Wii's controller could have been revolutionary (heh), how the DS could provide some interesting experiences, and how the 3DS could work.  But the Wii U doesn't do anything new.  

The USP of having some stuff on a small screen is in direct conflict with the other USP of switching it to "handheld mode" when someone else wants to use the TV (which is daft idea anyway, given that about 3/4s of us seem to have at least 2 TVs).  

Just like the Wii, any games that want to use the USP will have to be markedly different from their Xbox/PS4 companions, not to mention they'll need their graphics scaled down a bit.  You couldn't easily shoehorn motion control in to a Call of Duty game, and likewise I don't think you can shoehorn anything interesting into the Wii U controller without the game being bespoke.

So, it'll undoubtedly have a couple of Edge 10s in a Zelda/Mario combo, and it already sounds like a few things like Pikmin 3 will be worth a play, but it's going to miss out, again, on all the "big name" games, and without the draw of your gran playing Wii Bowling, no casual buyers are going to be in on it.  You can't win the casual market over more than once every few generations, as people like your mother are likely to say they don't need to replace a Wii when there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't get it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It'll sell on the strength of the first party stuff. Which whilst it's doubtful it'll capture the casual mindshare again there's enough people who like Mario and Link enough to fight through all sorts of clumsy input/display flights of fancy to make it a success.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm was highly sceptical of the Wii U when it was first announced too. I certainly didn't see the point of a screen on the controller. But how about this: the Wii U will be the perfect home for just about any MMO because all the additional buttons/options could be mapped to the controller screen. The ability to play something like WoW or The Old Republic from the comfort of your couch could be a huge draw for some.

The more I think about it, the less gimmicky the Wii U sounds, and I think it could be a huge oversight on the part of Sony and Microsoft not to include some form of screen, however small, in their controllers for their next gen offerings.
    Get schwifty.
  • Well, we don't know first of all whether or not Sony or MS will include a screen on their next controllers, although I think it'll still be pretty gimmicky.

Secondly, do you think famously online-wary Nintendo will suddenly embrace it to the extent of being the go-to device for the next WoW? I can't see it. I bet there's already a 3rd party touchscreen thing for mapping your hotkeys to.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    I'm was highly sceptical of the Wii U when it was first announced too. I certainly didn't see the point of a screen on the controller. But how about this: the Wii U will be the perfect home for just about any MMO because all the additional buttons/options could be mapped to the controller screen. The ability to play something like WoW or The Old Republic from the comfort of your couch could be a huge draw for some. The more I think about it, the less gimmicky the Wii U sounds, and I think it could be a huge oversight on the part of Sony and Microsoft not to include some form of screen, however small, in their controllers for their next gen offerings.
    That's a good point, it potentially offers much in the way of micromanagement currently unachievable on console.  Syndicate reboot anyone?  The good one I mean.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    @Elm

Perhaps, but out of the box and standard is important in my opinion.  That's why I think Microsoft would be fools not to include Kinect as standard with their next console.  Developers can offer more than just gimmicky extras in their games if they know that everybody has the same control/input schemes.  And I only offered the MMO idea as one option.  What about a Steel Battalion game with the cockpit controls laid out on the screen, or using the pen on the screen like a mouse for certain games?  I don't know.

I've been underwhelmed by the Wii this generation, and my 360 game collection dwarfs my Wii game collection just to prove the point.  But I see great potential in the Wii U.  But right now, of course, that's all it is.  Potential.  I'm certainly not writing it off before it's had a chance to prove itself, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • Wii U is different. That's a very good thing. Whether it turns out to be great or good or shit will more or less depend on the software, not the hardware, and I'm anticipating Nintendo will provide some great experiences.

Sony and MS have core offerings that are too similar, though from what I can tell Kinect offers enough genuinely different experiences that it's captured another niche - stuff like Dance Central the obvious point.

Having a slightly left field choice out there is great, and keeps the others on their toes.

If anything's going to be shit, it's SuperSteamCube.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Anyway, what the hell am I doing in the Anger & Hate thread with all this positivity?  I'm back off to Fluffy Bunnies!
    Get schwifty.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It'll sell on the strength of the first party stuff. Which whilst it's doubtful it'll capture the casual mindshare again there's enough people who like Mario and Link enough to fight through all sorts of clumsy input/display flights of fancy to make it a success.

There's probably about 20 million people who'll buy one just to play Mario and the like, going off Gamecube sales. But is that enough?
  • Castlevania 2 can fuck off.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Raiziel wrote:
    The more I think about it, the less gimmicky the Wii U sounds, and I think it could be a huge oversight on the part of Sony and Microsoft not to include some form of screen, however small, in their controllers for their next gen offerings.
    A screen has a few problems as an addition at the moment. It obviously adds cost, but it's also a field that's constantly being improved these days because of the smartphone market. The Wii-U screen already looks dated, imagine what sort of impression it will give off in a few years time. 

Actually letting the new consoles use a smart phone or tablet as a secondary controller seems a more interesting prospect, although who owns what would probably stop the idea taking off.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Which again comes back to the advantage of having the Wii U controller as standard.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've no idea what Nintendo are paying for these screens, say $20. Multiply that by the number of units they'll sell and that's the gamble that they're taking on a feature that has a real chance of not taking off.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I don't deny it's not a gamble, but I just wanted to point that there are huge potential positives.
    Get schwifty.
  • I could see it if the screen worked the same way as an iPhone screen and they had the opportunity to tap into that market as well. The controller isn't the reason that MMORPG's haven't had any impact on consoles this generation.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Perhaps not entirely, but I think it's a significant part of the reason we've not seen many of them.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!