Best Games Evarrr! [OP updated 13/01/15]
  • It got a lot of third party support from what I remember.

The glaring omission was GTA and didn't R* say that was due to the kiddy image?

I do think it's design didn't help, especially the pad. I know it has its fans on here put it just looked an eyesore.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It looked like a toy. Gamers sometimes like to think they aren't playing with toys but interacting with sophisticated media players.
  • Don't forget a lack of piracy.
    At that time piracy was fairly common place and resulted in hardware sales. Hardware sales figures third parties would look at as potential sales.
  • It was horrific in design.

I honestly think they came up with the name first to try and tie it closer to the Game Boy brand, which in itself wasn't a bad idea, unfortunately some idiot in Kyoto came up with Cube and that beast was born.

Is it the tallest ever console?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • As someone who had a GC from launch, but who was never a huge Nintendo fan, my issues with the machine was the lack of games to play outside of a few corkers.

I loved Monkey Ball, and the Metroid Prime games remain some of my favourites ever, not to mention the fun I had with the likes of Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, Rocky, Resident Evil (remake and Zero) and a few others.

But, the PS2 was the place to go for the sheer number of top quality games. Nintendo (wrongly or rightly) were perceived as having an off-gen: Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Mario Kart: Double Dash were all seen as poor sequels to part classics - so the GC really needed 3rd parties to knock it out if the park. I adored the GC and it was a powerful, fast little beast, but it had as many classics as the XBox and they were both pissed on, by a massive height, by the behemoth that was the PS2. That's my opinion, at least.

That's nit to say the GC was without merit - like I mentioned, it had some of my favourite games ever, but it also had some gaping holes in the game catalogue and ninty failed to do their part.

Not that I remember. In the beginning, yes, but that died off. GC got Burnout 2 and Hitman 2 and a fair amount of others in the beginning. By the end of the gen, though, those sequels weren't coming.
  • Never loved my PS2.
    GC had the gems, Xbox did the multi plats better.

Depends what games you were into of course.

Also the PS2 always felt on the edge of falling apart or colossal failure. In comparison I'm pretty sure a GC or an Xbox could survive a nuclear blast, especially the xbox.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I only discovered yesterday that the GC has a comparable number of titles to the N64. I thought there were HUNNERS coz of burnout, ISS, wrestling etc. but there's fewer than 300 games totalz

Not that I remember. In the beginning, yes, but that died off. GC got Burnout 2 and Hitman 2 and a fair amount of others in the beginning. By the end of the gen, though, those sequels weren't coming.

Oh yeah definitely. I just meant that people didn't buy what was at the begining at least, a powerful Nintendo console with ample 3rd party support.

Those 3rd parties chose to jump ship because of poor sales and Nintendo chose a different direction with their next console for the same reasons.

What blows my mind was how early the console was ready to release, 2000 I believe. Nintendo chose to continue support for the N64 with titles such as Zelda: MM, Perfect Dark and even 3rd parties with RE: Zero. I know the latter was moved over to GCN but I wonder how much time was wasted developing it for N64.

Basically they should have done what MS did with the OG Xbox, cut its life short and come out all guns blazing for the next gen.

Imagine if GCN has released simultaneously with PS2 with games like the 3 I mentioned as release titles? I'm not saying it would have outsold the PS2 but it would have done a damn sight better and probably not lost out to Xbox which didn't come out until 2001/2.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think a lot blindly bought PS2s off the back of PS1 tbh.
    Not that you would have to be uninformed to buy a PS2 of course.

The toy image was there before the GC was released, the differences between N64 and PS1 set the precedent.
  • The toy image was there before the GC was released, the differences between N64 and PS1 set the precedent.

Your right but its mad to think that was the case as it was probably the most 'mature' Nintendo ever got.

Big for FPS in Goldeneye, PD, Quake, Doom. Even first party support with games like 1080 and as silly as it might sound Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside. Imagine Nintendo making a sports sim with an endorsement like that now? Nope, here's Mario 3 on 3 Basketball.

Its painful to think of the silly missteps they made with GCN. Rare making DK Racing and Mickey's Speedway instead of a Gran Turismo style game like MS did years later with Forza. So dumb.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's odd, but then I thought people going mad over some of those PS1 hits was just as odd.
    Gran Turismo looked nice and that but fucking hell is that stuff dull.

That path seems to have led us to the point we are at now were a lot of games have lost that silliness, 'play' has been replaced with 'experience'. Fuck experience.
  • I loved the design; still do.
  • Excitebike 64 was great, i considered it for my 10...the hill climb and footy modes were great multiplayer fun.

I loved the GC, fab machine in all respects...but it's a good point about nintendo dropping the ball on their own software, with some of the weakest and/or oddest in their different series. i'd never really stopped to consider their overall output on the machine (since it's not like any of it was actually terrible).  i guess sometimes it doesn't always pay to be different - everyone was buying into PS2 happy with graphical updates of their favourite games, but instead Nintendo decided to switch up their formulas and alienated more fans than they gained.
    GC was the last time a Nintendo console was my main console too...and the last console i really really played.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GC is among my favourite consoles. Extremely well built (youtube destruction videos show that it is far more resilient than PS2 or Oldbox). I get the issues so-called grown-ups have with the kiddie look but don't really give a shit about that; the controller melted into your hand like no other because as much as we would like it not to be the case, we are not symmetric beings and we fit better with things that are slightly off kilter. A change in colour trim corrects much of the Fisher Price look anyhow. The controller did have an impact on FPS games and fighters though.

It had the  problem of providing followups to major new IPs (1080, Waverace, Smash Bros, Mario Tennis, Golf & Party) on the N64 as well as follow ups to Zelda, Metroid, Mario 64, Mario Kart and F-Zero which it did with a reasonable degree of success.

Spec-wise it was a powerful , safe pair of hands. I look at my fairly beefy collection and I see it had decent 3rd party support. SSX, Prince of Persia, Soul Calibur 2, Burnout 2, Need for Speed, Resident Evil are present and correct , and it got the occasional exclusive such as PN03 or Beach Spikers, but it required one to own either a PS2 or Oldbox to experience all genres (I went the Ps2 route for RType Final and Gradius V).

It was also a console that saw Nintendo experiment. New IP with Pikmin and Eternal Darkness. The GBA linkup facilitated a handful of very interesting games, not least of all Pacman Vs - echos of which carry on in Wii U. If you had the money, you could get BB adaptors for LAN games -sadly another experiment that Nintendo didn't stick with: Mario Kart DD , 1080 and an odd little Kirby game being the only three games that support it. (LAN F-Zero GX would have been aces and given the arcade version supported link up a baffling exclusion). There are also a handful of games that use a microphone or the bongo controllers.

It gave us the definitive version of the last perfect game I played - Super Monkey Ball, 2 Phantasy Star Online games (that were online), and one of the best four player games ever - Warioware Inc.

It also has the GBA Player to make it stand even taller, and it introduced me to wireless controllers. The Wavebird is, excuse me, fucking brilliant.

The Gamecube did alright.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Also the Capcom Five But Later Four was the kind of rad and magical exclusivity deal that made it worthwhile to own a GC, and all of the games looked better than their later PS2 ports. Fond memories of both consoles but the GameCube was just something totally of its own class, must have put thousands of hours into 4 player multiplayer over a variety of titles like Smash Bros, Mario Tennis and Timesplitters 2.
  • Agree, GC was a fantastic machine, had it been as homogenous as the PS2 and Xbox were in controller, media format, etc. it surely would have reaped greater 3rd party support and sales, however all it's first party content or 3rd party exclusives would probably have suffered.

Catch 22.

Controller was amazing though. Easily the best and only topped for me by the 360 pad (I've not got an XBO yet to compare it against so ymmv).
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GameCube controller + Super Monkey Ball = perfection.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I can't remember if Super Monkey Ball was in my top ten.

It ought to be.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Never understood the love for the GC controller. Might have been fine for games that were specifically built around it, but as a generic pad it was fucking rotten.

did not like

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I am one of the GC hardware fans. Gamecube design was awesome I thought. And great controller. But it's not like it had competition at the time from ugly Oldbox and PS2
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • g.man wrote:
    Never understood the love for the GC controller. Might have been fine for games that were specifically built around it, but as a generic pad it was fucking rotten. did not like g.man
    Yep, never liked that button layout at all.

Nintendo by that point had refined their game designs to perfection in the SNES years, then translated them brilliantly to 3D on the N64, then had nowhere else to go. Everyone else was catching them up and surpassing them around that time and they just couldn't move with the times. Metroid stood out only because it hadn't had its 3D update before. Ever since then it's been about new hardware gimmicks to wring something new out of those old designs, but that's only alienated the 3rd parties even more.
  • g.man wrote:
    Never understood the love for the GC controller. Might have been fine for games that were specifically built around it, but as a generic pad it was fucking rotten.

did not like

g.man

Miles better than the nasty oldbox pad. Ugh.
  • The fat Xbox pad was terrible - those buttons that hurt your thumb - but the smaller version was very nice.
  • Yup. The S controller was very good.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Concur, controller s was excellent, best of the gen for me. I agree with g.man about the GC controller for multi plat games.
    It was superb for exclusives but the layout didnt transition well.
  • I should've put MonkeyBall in my top 10.

I've got the same problem with most Nintendo controllers. They're built for their own games and the rest can suck it. Which one of Ryu's moves deserves the big green GC button?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I should've put MonkeyBall in my top 10. I've got the same problem with most Nintendo controllers. They're built for their own games and the rest can suck it. Which one of Ryu's moves deserves the big green GC button?

Hadoken. Cos he is all about the Hadou. Ken can have the Shoryuken.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!