Best Games Evarrr! [OP updated 13/01/15]
  • Apart from the Wii waggle version, I don't think the other versions played or experienced any different to the GC original.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • PS2 version had an electricity gun thing that I don't think GC had.
    They played the pretty much the same though, if anything I found GC felt a bit more solid but that could just be my preference for GC over PS2 in general.
  • GC cos of that rad massive A button that the game leaner heavy upon, turning into a context sensitive 'every button'

I've only dabbled with the Wii version and it hasn't done much for me, it's a GC game, it's got royal blood.
  • Yeah I dabbled with the Wii version, didn't work for me either.
  • *mash A to high five*
  • Resident Evil 4 isn't even top anymore, so we can stop talking about it.

Ocarina of Time is the best game ever this week.
  • I never owned an N64 so by the time I played Ocarina I was significantly underwhelmed.
  • I liked Ocarina a lot and I understand the praise heaped on it but I don't feel as passionate about it as most who played it.
    Part of this I think is the second half of the game has some sludgey textures which I really struggled with being colour blind.
  • I spent so much time fishing....
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • OP updated. Good news for Zelda and for Mario, with Galaxy finally showing in the top list.
  • Mattewmatosis has just done a vid on Galaxy. Watching it reminded me of a thousand things that annoyed me about it. It's still great.

My last playthrough of OOT was a joyless mechanical affair but it's 20 years old and still feels exactly like it should. Credit where it's due.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Tempy wrote:
    I never owned an N64 so by the time I played Ocarina I was significantly underwhelmed.

When did you get around to it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • After Windwaker, I had the Gold GC edition that had Ocarina/Master Quest
  • I wouldn't be surprised if most people like Zeldas in the order they first played them. I'd certainly go for LttP, then OoT then Majora's, and after that the others seem much of a muchness. Phantom Hourglass was one of the better recent efforts though, the DS stuff made it a bit fresher.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played Ocarina first, but it was the lolfuck of Majora that stood out to me, so I prefer that. Windwaker is good, TP is completely unmemorable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Link to the Past for me. Ageless graphical look. Utterly charming.Its offspring have been recycling the ideas as far as I can make out.I completed it which is rare for me and that type of game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, Majora's is almost a separate thing. The proper Zelda stuff isn't all that great, and all best things about it are things that aren't in other Zeldas.

And Ocarina is special because it was the first 3D version, and it was a proper 3D game, not just a game with 3D graphics, which was still rare at the time. It sounds silly now but just the fact you also had to think vertically made a huge difference, and because of that it could still feel fresh even after LttP. From then on it's mostly deja vu.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Link to the Past on SNES came with a fold out map that has a lovely hand drawn look to it and a sealed tips book only to be opened when you had no hair left.

1215270-zelda3map_f.jpg

The Dark World / Light World puzzling, starting with spectacle rock, was splendid.

In fact, I think it's the only game of the adventure/narrative style that I ever completed. As much as I loved it, I had had enough of that sort of thing after playing it. Same with FPS games. After completing Doom 2 and experiencing a bit of multi-player LAN Quake I had had enough of that genre.
  • Majora's is my favourite, really felt like it was pushing the boundaries of what a Zelda game could be.
  • I was OOT first then WW.
    Perhaps the reason I love WW so much is that I had no preconceptions of what a Zelda game should or shouldn't be.
    OOT is second fave though.
    Others played...
    TP, I liked but it wasn't amazing.
    SS, really did not like, I just don't want to use wiimotes for extended play sessions even if the swordplay was good.
    Phantom Hourglass, fuck that repeated Knight dungeon.
    Lttp, played very late on, onl;y a couple of years ago. I just don't really like the 2D ones.
    MM played too late, suffered from ugliness.
  • JonB wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if most people like Zeldas in the order they first played them.

Definitely, that's why I asked @Tempy

I think this about most games, apart from Super Mario Sunshine, no one likes that.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    OoT. Lost interest in Jabu Jabu's Belly
    WW. Can't remember now. Got to sail around a bit and I think I got past the 1st dungeon (or maybe the second) and lost interest. Loved the look of it though.
    MM. Fiddled about at the start. Played it for maybe an hour and then lost interest.
    TP. Got on the horse and arsed around. Maybe fished a bit and then lost interest.

Basically I can't be arsed second guessing a story someone else has in mind. If I want a story I'll read a book.

In 3D environments I always end up going round in circles, missing a key thing and eventually getting bored. Life is too bloody short for that crap. I then leave it for a few days and when I return to it I can't remember what I was supposed to do and give up.

In Shenmue I lost interest after finding the first arcade.
    In GTA 3 I got bored shitless full stop. What an overrated pile of tripe. Drove about a while and lost interest after getting attacked by guys with kitchen knives (I think).
    Every other FPS - Duke Nukem, Goldeneye, Quake 2, Timesplitters 2, Call of Duty:whatever - lost interest somewhere in level 2 usually.

The thing with me is that I expect so much from that type of game; egged on no doubt by the cinematics. They all boil down to a linear slog with a bit of shooting and some glorified QTEs.  They get conquered through perserverance. Thanks but no thanks.
  • Phantom Hourglass, fuck that repeated Knight dungeon.

Oh god that was annoying, ruined the game really. I much preferred Spirit Tracks for at least fixing that aspect.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Poor Mario Sunshine, it is like the Daniel Baldwin of games.
  • I like Super Mario Sunshine, which I played before the superior Super Mario 64. My first Zelda was Awakening, followed by Ages and Seasons, then LttP on the GBA.

Awakening is the one i'm fondest of due to its off kilter twee-ness, but Windwaker captured yon heart.
  • Tempy likes Daniel Baldwin.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not a fan of water in games. Sunshine was doomed from the off. When I got to level 2 of Banjo Kazooie and saw the water I gave up on that too.

I'm amazed I "120-ed" Galaxy given the amount of water in that.
  • You don't like Wave Race? That was great.

I love water in games, especially when it's done well. Lovely sunny blue skies too. I liked Sunshine visually, I got bored of it all though and never went back to it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!