PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    I liked early Coldplay but yeah anyone admitting to liking RE5 or Blunt needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Nowt wrong with RE5. It's not bad, it just compares very badly to RE4.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Happened in the press as well, it courted fairly positive scores. There is a definite post-5 "well it isn't 4 so it's utter shit" which hit 6 as well
  • I never actually played 5. Equally I never listened to Back to Bedlam which I saw in a charity shop just yesterday as it goes.
  • Edit: double post forum spasm.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I blame not enough people playing Alpha Protocol. And Yoss.
    I did one of my Say What You Sees just for you. Where were you?!

Sorry...that's very sweet. I actually wanted to play but whatever image host you use gets blocked in China, so I had to sit that one out, unfortunately.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Happened in the press as well, it courted fairly positive scores. There is a definite post-5 "well it isn't 4 so it's utter shit" which hit 6 as well

Concur completely. I think this happens a lot in games; I'm currently playing Arkham Origins, and the feeling I get looking around online is that it's biggest "crime" is not being as good as City, the "logical" conclusion of some being that therefore it must be shit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • MGS3 and Halo3 are the only two I haven't played of the list in the OP, and FF7 the only one I personally dislike...but that's as much to do with the genre than that game in particular
    Ground Zeroes is £4 on PS3 PSN store right now. Everyone should jump in at that price.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • For the record, I thought Resi5 was actually shit and I don't think I had played more than the Resi4 demo at the time.

Also for more records, the tank controls never went away, just the camera angle changed.

For further records, I am about to start Medal of Honour Warfighter on a vague recollection that Dante said the story was worth a playthrough on the old Edge forum. It cost me £3 so I'm having one of his socks as compensation if I don't get my money's worth.
  • I played the demo of Resi 5, which was enough to see it wasn't good. Never bothered with the full game after that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    For the record, I thought Resi5 was actually shit and I don't think I had played more than the Resi4 demo at the time.

Also for more records, the tank controls never went away, just the camera angle changed.

For further records, I am about to start Medal of Honour Warfighter on a vague recollection that Dante said the story was worth a playthrough on the old Edge forum. It cost me £3 so I'm having one of his socks as compensation if I don't get my money's worth.

A six pounds pair of socks? Dante must be king shit of fuck mountain.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

Concur completely. I think this happens a lot in games; I'm currently playing Arkham Origins, and the feeling I get looking around online is that it's biggest "crime" is not being as good as City, the "logical" conclusion of some being that therefore it must be shit.

The combat timing was changed in Origins, which makes you cock up more often, which ruins the sense of being Batman.

That's its biggest fault.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I certainly haven't been keeping up with this thread, but Resident Evil 4???? Seriously? It's not even close to being the best game in it's franchise. deary me g.man

I was suggesting this.

It's still the only game I would be willing to drop from my list, but it's not at all as bad as your post suggests...

I seriously believe more games should covet a similar level of detail when rendering their game worlds.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I played the demo of Resi 5, which was enough to see it wasn't good. Never bothered with the full game after that.

I actually received a knocky copy of the game, and still couldn't bring myself to play it for more than an hour... And that was despite the game being by far the most attractive on any console at the time (let's be honest, the graphics were, and still are, quite brilliant).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I liked 5. Didn't know it was considered that bad tbh. Didn't like 6 though.

2>4>1>Revelations>5>6

Haven't completed 3, CV or Zero.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played through 6 with Tempy and it was like paradise
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The combat timing was changed in Origins, which makes you cock up more often, which ruins the sense of being Batman. That's its biggest fault.

Hmm. Can't say I've noticed a change in the timing - I just assumed I was shit at the combat.

The more I play of Origins, the more I am convinced that it's the best in the series... if you can ignore the occasional game breaking bug. The Enigma/Riddler collect 'em up is better thought out than City, and the huge cast of baddies actually feels like they have a decent reason to be there, unlike City in which half the characters felt shoe-horned to fulfill a checklist.

Before anyone pulls any Resi 5 logic, I'm not saying City is shit, I loved all the Arkham series so far. When I'm rich and famous I'll have to get myself a system that has Arkham Knight on it.
    I liked 5. Didn't know it was considered that bad tbh. Didn't like 6 though. 2>4>1>Revelations>5>6 Haven't completed 3, CV or Zero.

I haven't played 6 but from what I've gathered its basically "hoo boy, and you thought 5 was bad...". Agree with your rankings too, but I'd swap 2 and 1, especially if we're talking about REmake. Zero was also mint, but like you 3 remains to be done.
    regmcfly wrote:
    I played through 6 with Tempy and it was like paradise

That's because you were with Tempy, the forum Adonis.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    We crawled on our backs up stairs
  • 6 is hilarious, what more can you ask for from a video game i mean really
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    To buy more pills rite
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Looking over the list in the OP, I'd just like to point out that MGS and MGS3 both appear, as they should, but MGS2 is nowhere to be seen.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'm also kicking myself that I forgot about Metroid Prime.
  • Dude, kicking yourself isn't enough.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 1. Metroid Prime (a masterclass in structure, bosses, and how to reboot)
    2. Mario Galaxy (the closest to the gameplay of the 2D Mario games)
    3. MGS2 (a game that started during the pre-release hype and exists as a remake of the original and a commentary on the nature of sequels/hype/war/games)
    4. Zelda OOT (honourable mention)
    5. Burnout Paradise (intense single/multiplayer open playground with dick-around lobby)
    6. Bayonetta (maybe the highest baroque skill-ceiling ever)
    7. Ico (Ico)
    8. CoD4 (For showing everyone how to blockbuster and the geometry in those maps)
    9. SFII Turbo (fuck the rage gauge and super moves)
    10. Advance Wars (the only strategy game I've ever loved)

I'd like to find space for Mirror's Edge in there because I do love it and I don't think it is appreciated enough but it just isn't as good as the games in this list.
  • Oh SHIT. Metroid Prime.

I need to redo my list.
    Ian do you have Burnout Paradise on your list or no? I can't tell.
  • Yes. I'll edit.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Dude, kicking yourself isn't enough.

I'll just nip off and report myself to the nearest police station.
  • First offence. I think you'll get off with a caution.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Good, in jail they'd pass me around like currency.
  • i was wondering, what version of RE4 are people voting for? i hadn't realised there had been quite so many ports and HD/ultimate editions, or that it went to PS2 so soon - i had thought of it as mainly a Nintendo exclusive with a 'late in the day' port to PS2...was just getting ready to post a "wouldn't it be ironic if the best game ever turned out to be a 3rd party exclusive on Nintendo consoles." but that seems a bit moot (and probably not even ironic, damn you Alanis!), since those voting could have been playing enhanced playstation, xbox or PC super HD update versions...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!