Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Put this on again last night and did the plain song bit that opens up the rest of the world. I gotta say Plain song is the most beautiful place to be, the sound of the chorus and the architecture is something to behold. This Game knocks my socks off every time I put it on for one reason or another. Taking out their
    Spoiler:
    . The atmosphere,visuals, gameplay it's realy something else. This is gonna be the best game alot of people never play/ dismiss based on preconceptions.

Only annoying thing so far is Aloy is realy over doing the hand holding telling you what to do all the time. It's realy starting to annoy me now. Is there a way you can turn her hints off like you can turn all the map markers etc off?
  • I wish she'd just stfu and let me enjoy figuring shit out in this wonderfull world.

I'll add I don't mind the talky bits to other characters when you can choose them. I tend to exhaust all the talking options as it has helped build a sense of place and people up to this point.
  • Tip, when you unlock the arena blast through it all to get legendary armour and weapon sets, top tier stuff. Then you’re set for the game.
  • Really want to play this but Elden Ring is taking up all my time.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Tip, when you unlock the arena blast through it all to get legendary armour and weapon sets, top tier stuff. Then you’re set for the game.

Cheers, I have wondered about what to upgrade and when. Think I've gotta learn more about the dinos as I take them down. It realy makes a difference if you approach encounters knowing your prey well.

Any more tips, sling em my way.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Tip, when you unlock the arena blast through it all to get legendary armour and weapon sets, top tier stuff. Then you’re set for the game.

Cheers, I have wondered about what to upgrade and when. Think I've gotta learn more about the dinos as I take them down. It realy makes a difference if you approach encounters knowing your prey well.

Any more tips, sling em my way.

It puts you up against everything so it’s a great way to learn exactly how to take each one down. Can get through the entire thing in no time, I looked over it at first but it’s massively worth it.
  • I haven't unlocked the arena yet, but I think I prefer hunting robo-dino's out in the wild and shearing off their valuable bits with my Tearblast arrows so as to upgrade my kit organically that way.

Although despite the functionality to create 'jobs' it is all to easy to forget what bits you're supposed to be hunting, especially with the added distraction of all those side quests and trying your best to respond to the narrative pull of the main story.

Hunting Grounds and Salvage Contracts are a means to unlock new gear too. But I haven't even touched those!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • There is an absolutely tremendous amount of stuff to do. Pacing myself as this is one very well made game.

Ahh you’ll still have to do the collecting of items organically. Can’t take any of the pieces you earn in the arena with you, just the medal rewards!
  • Wait Im confused. You cant use the armour you win in the arena out in the world?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Wait Im confused. You cant use the armour you win in the arena out in the world?

No you can use the armour and weapons you can purchase with the currency from the arena anywhere you want like normal, but you can’t collect any of the pieces of dino’s you shoot off whilst in there. There’s a vendor that sells items you can buy with only the medals from the arena. Sorry if I explained it poorly!
  • I went back and did a side quest recently which I had put on hold for ages because I wanted to advance the main quest. I only went back because I wanted to converse with the quest giver again because his voice work was that good. First time that has ever happened in an action RPG.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

• I think this is a new benchmark for the quality of side characters. I wish Tsushima had handled it this way as well but I get it's an incredible amount of work involved to make it look like this. I'm in no doubt this is the best looking game I've ever seen.

On another note this tremortusk is giving me abit of grief, Any tips for taking it down efficiently?
  • I've only encountered one Tremortusk so far (as part of the main quest), none in the wild. If that's the one you're referring to, aren't there some nearby support struts you can snipe that collapse that can reduce its health a bit?

As always, traps are your friend. Deploy ones that match the elemental weaknesses of this Robo-Mammoth and you really can't go wrong. I'm sure there are some blaze barrells in the undergrowth you can trigger too that can turn the odds in your favour.

Failing all that, shoot off its topside weaponry with your best tear damage bow and pick it up and use it against the beast!

• In about 40 hours I haven’t used a single trap…Or put a single upgrade point into the Trapper path. I like action and madness too much…

Level 40 now. Hope I’m not too close to the end.
  • I've done the kulrut now and it was great fun. Brilliant action, superb set pieces and a story beat at the end of it which I thought was as good as anything I've seen in gaming. It felt like the end of a season of game of thrones, there's been quite a few nods to thrones throughout. Just loving the way this game handles it all.
  • I'm just enjoying the down time between questing at the moment, hunting down the robot parts I need to upgrade my kit. The only thing I am noticing though is that I'm using fast travel more than I would compared to other open world games.

There are several reasons for this: cross land traversal using a mount isn't much fun. Admittedly, I've only unlocked one type of mount, but the two robot rides I now have at my disposal are both slow and cumbersome and tend to get stuck on the scenery a lot. Perhaps I need to dedicate more time to the Cauldrons to unlock some better modes of transport.

And running over land just has me wandering into groups of Apex predators that I end up picking a fight with, expending too many resources to kill 'em all or invariably getting ganked by them when I realise I've bitten off more than I can chew.
  • I’d potentially use fast travel less if there was an auto option, available in Ass Creed, RDR2 etc, nice just to watch the travel.
  • Yep, that would be boss. I thought that sort of feature would be de rigueur by now; it certainly would have elevated other games like Tsushima too. Make even more sense in this, having robotic mounts on auto-pilot.
  • Is this the setting you're looking for?

TqhSq6b.jpg
  • Ooooo! Nice one Aloy. Thanks!
  • Aloy wrote:
    Is this the setting you're looking for?

TqhSq6b.jpg

You beauty.
  • It’s not full autopilot, you’ll need to give it a hand at junctions to lean it the right way, but it should keep you on track.
  • Aloy wrote:
    It’s not full autopilot, you’ll need to give it a hand at junctions to lean it the right way, but it should keep you on track.

Yeah just learnt as much…it’s a no sell. But it won’t dampen my enjoyment of you Aloy.
  • While your here Andy ahem i mean Aloy, Any chance there's a setting to stop you dropping hints to me on what I'm supposed to do? I wouldn't mind but at times you give us around 2 seconds before saying something like "maybe I should look by that waterfall, then look up, maybe I should glide over there etc etc.

Do we know who did these threads now by the way? My guess was Andy, not that it matters like, just interested who put the work in.
  • I think I need to start mainlining the main quest properly soon. Couple of encounters I've had with some bosses have been a tad anticlimactic of late, as I think I'm now somewhat over-levelled for where I am in the story. Not my fault all those side quests are so damn good!
  • Finished a couple of days ago and already miss this…
  • I feel a little under powered to be honest. I just took out my first thunder jaw helping drakka. I found that whole harvesting hearts mission abit tricky. Any tips on upgrading things?

I've also gotta do that whole mission again as my data got corrupted somehow. No problem though it was fun and I need to improve my approach and game planning for them so I'm happy to do it again.
  • Playing this at the moment - not a huge open world game but enjoyed the combat and characters of the first one. This is…well, more of the same just improved a bit. Enjoying it enough, and combat is still tops.
  • Playing this at the moment - not a huge open world game but enjoyed the combat and characters of the first one. This is…well, more of the same just improved a bit. Enjoying it enough, and combat is still tops.

I love it all aside from the combat!
  • What's not to love about the combat? Sure, I've had one or two annoying moments where I've been stunned-locked by an opponent's melee attack, but apart from that the combat is splendidly morish. The vast array of weapons at your disposal and the tactical ability to neuter your prey with a well placed volley of arrows means things never get old.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!