Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is there some bother around it? I had no idea, I was just posting it because the graphics are jaw dropping
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is that 'in game graphics' then?

From the photo mode I assume, but still
  • Not quite as impressive as the Shenmue passport disc in 1999 but hugely impressive anyway.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is that 'in game graphics' then?

From the photo mode I assume, but still

Hang on??!! I assumed that was a fan doing Horizon cosplay. Honestly on my phone I just assumed it was a real photo.

As for the cultural appropriation I can’t comment but the characters in this game are vastly diverse and they have actually modelled black and Asian people correctly without falling back on stereotypes. The different races all sit at different levels of society in this game. The only thing you could possibly comment on the the great white saviour but even that is a stretch in the context of the games story.

• Zulu culture face paint reduced to an in-game unlockable. Tut-tut.

But I'm advancing the main quest now and it's getting much more fantastically sci-fi so I'm a very happy huntress.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Wow, yeah I thought it was a photo also. Is that actually an example of Zulu face paint? Its not just a random design? Given the setting of Horizon, wearing tribal face paint wouldn't be out of place, but yeah drawing from real world examples wouldn't be smart. Or is it a joke Im missing?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • A few more hours into this and it really is something special.
  • Yeah I had a moment last night when I was being chased by an angry pack of Leaplashers after nicking the razor tail off an equally outraged Skydrifter. And I was like 'this is just like Robot Jurassic Park!"
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Just had a combat session and Aloy said:

I kinda wish this people would talk to me, instead of trying to kill me.

Fantastic inversion of the meme
  • That’s the credits rolled on this. Would strongly recommend that people don’t sleep on this game, it really is fantastic.
  • Holy cow Syph you've smashed right through it.
  • I did mainline it and was under-levelled for the final part, but it’s doable. I had a feeling, like the first one, that it would let me go back to mop things up after, so I wasn’t missing anything ploughing on. Plus Elden Ring is waiting.
  • Dunky is ace, but I make him wrong on this one. His complaint is essentially that this game follows a tired formula, so it shouldn’t be bought. But what if you like that formula, and what does it do that deviates from it to make it fresh for those a little jaded by it?

Honestly, this is such a good game. It’ll no doubt get lost in the talk of Elden Ring (like the first did around BOTW), but it’s another franchise that Sony is building into something quite special. I’m already looking forward to the inevitable third entry.

• I’m loving it…that is all.
  • I'll give that a watch later.

I think it's fantastic so far. The gameplay mechanics are fun and impactful, knocking certain parts off the robots adds a level of tactics to your approach especially when combined with all the traps and different weapons. They're some of the most beautiful looking and fun enemies to fight in anything I've played.

Its a total looker, the world is stunning full of colour and tribal lore all distinctive and creative.

The human npc's are hands down the absolute best I've ever encountered, their lip syncing, animation, back stories, garments etc , it's just a step up in realism. Makes you get invested you know.

It is gonna get lost in the Eldon Ring hype sadly though which I still don't get and the more I see and hear of it the more baffled by it I become.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Elden Ring is an open world sandbox to have fun in. And die lots.

This is a more focused open world with a powerful protagonist that leads you through a great setting. I’ve settled on switching between the two.

This is by far the best looking game I’ve seen.
  • Sounds like the straw that broke the camel's back from the video. Fatigue is bound to set in if you play as many lengthy, similar games as he listed. Rollsafe option would be 'don't play so many then' I reckon, rather than sitting through 1000+hrs of open worlds before singling a competent one out to avoid.
  • It’s a ridiculous comparison to say that Horizon is like a Ubisoft game, therefore it’s bad. May as well dismiss all future Rockstar games on the same basis.
  • Footage from RDR was used. As was the point about both games coming out days before behemoth titles.

I chuckled, enjoyed the vid, posted. I'm sure he's doing a bit tbf.
  • He probably has to play that many open world games in fairness (for the subs & hits?), so he gets a pass as that's one of my worst gaming nightmares. He's right that there are a ton of games out there with very similar structures, I was surprised how much Miles Morales felt like Batman when I played it recently.
  • Dunky's going to be Dunky. He hates all open world games, 'cept Zelda. Whilst its hard to disagree with his assessment that HFW is a somewhat risk averse game designed by committee, it still does much to re-invent the open world template.

I've only climbed one Talkneck yet, but the ascent to the top felt more thrilling than any climb up a Far Cry tower. And if Dunky wishes to deride the dialogue in this, panning it for its lack of choices, then he fails to recognise one simple fact: HFW is not a roleplaying game.

There are no Light side / Dark side choices here because you are cast firmly in the role of 'the Saviour' of the world, not its Betrayer. When Aloy stumbles across a gang of refugees being bullied by some tribals early on in the game, she can't side with the bad guys and nick all the paupers salvage rights - she can threaten, reason, or use humour against the villains - but the outcome is always the same : the good guys win.

I like to select all the dialogue choices before moving on so I can stare in wonder at the wonderfully voiced and superbly animated faces of the NPC's and delve deeper into the lore of this fabulously realized world - I don't see how that makes me a psychopath as Dunky says.

Tbh, I was more disappointed by Edge's [7] score. Sure you could take a point off if you wanted for the rather one-track climbing mechanics, maybe another for the resource gathering if you were feeling harsh. So you're left with an [8].

But we all know the difference between a [7] and an [8].
  • I think the climbing struck a happy medium between BoTW’s climb anything with stamina limits, and Uncharted’s climb this one bit.

There’s a setting in the game that picks things up for you, apparently. It was mentioned in a p/review video as something that sped the process up. I didn’t use it, but I could see why some folk have.
  • Once people are finished with this on ps5 and interested in selling it on, drop us a line.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The template for these Ubisoft style open world games is stale, tired and repetitive. I'd happily never play one of them again and I've not played that many. They are bloated time sinks that you can play with your eyes closed.
  • And yet, Horizon doesn’t really follow that template at all, but for some reason it’s being lumped in with them.

If I had to draw a parallel with any game, it’s more like an open world Mass Effect. You go from mission to mission, slowly building up resources and a crew of NPCs that are genuinely well realised characters.
  • It's realy fucking good, best open world game for me in so many areas.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    It's realy fucking good, best open world game for me in so many areas.

Qft
  • Urghh...it isn't Mass Effect; I don't have understand this need to compare games to what came before. It's very much it's own thing. There is no party-based combat. It's just your flame hair girl growing increasingly bad ass to take on and conquer a variety of mechanical dino's.

It's the video game equivalent of Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots.
  • Fair enough. I just had ME2 in my head when I was playing it, because after pretty much every main quest you pick up someone else to aid you on your way, and they’re actually interesting characters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!