Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Be fine with it using it as just a key and downloading the rest online, but the PS5 does neither and just stops! Took the dogs for a walk, had some food then came back to still being at 1%…
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Will definitely play this when it comes to PC

Have been watching some streamers play this on and off tonight - Aloy's hair just seems to be a bit weird - it moves when it probably shouldn't, like it has too much 'weight' in the physics engine.
  • Then you’ve gotta go to the store to ‘purchase’ the upgrade for free resulting in another 7 hour download…What a shambles. Guess I’ll play this another day if I can be bothered.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just had a quick go. It’s very pretty and the cut down HUD is really helping the feeling of being out in the wild.

Aloy’s hair has always been like that due to her heritage.
    Spoiler:
  • I think Mr Amazon decided against the delivery today. No biggie and it’s best folk are safe in these conditions.
  • No delivery from The Game Collection either but I’m not sure if the posties were out today. The winds been bad down here today.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And they only wear shorts. Poor buggers.
  • Never seen a topless one.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Arrived yesterday and put a couple of hours in to get to the opening credits. Was a slow start, but makes sense in terms of introducing the controls and some of the new mechanics. It’s certainly a looker.

Anyone else set off on this yet?
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Arrived yesterday and put a couple of hours in to get to the opening credits. Was a slow start, but makes sense in terms of introducing the controls and some of the new mechanics. It’s certainly a looker.

I'm deep in to the forbidden West and had to drag myself to the pub last night to stop me from playing it.
    I'm really enjoying it but I won't any any more as I do t wanna spoil anything.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:

b0r1s wrote:
    Just had a quick go. It’s very pretty and the cut down HUD is really helping the feeling of being out in the wild.

Aloy’s hair has always been like that due to her heritage.
    Spoiler:

Tbh haven’t got much further than this. Had a busy weekend. Gonna try and fit some in tonight.
  • I've downloaded it but not started it yet. I don't wanna start it without having the time to realy get invested in it. I ruined GoW for myself doing that.

Busy weekend too and I've still got Sifu on my radar.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    I've downloaded it but not started it yet. I don't wanna start it without having the time to realy get invested in it. I ruined GoW for myself doing that.

You can do 60-120 mins and break at the opening credits safely. The first bit is just a tutorial. I know what you mean though, some games need to be played for longer periods.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Cupatay wrote:
    I've downloaded it but not started it yet. I don't wanna start it without having the time to realy get invested in it. I ruined GoW for myself doing that.

You can do 60-120 mins and break at the opening credits safely. The first bit is just a tutorial. I know what you mean though, some games need to be played for longer periods.

Especially when there's alot to take in controls wise. Becoming competant only to put it down for a few weeks and then have to relearn stuff is a chore and it's sometimes put me off picking great games back up. Zero Dawn being a prime example.

• Well I've reached the 10hr mark with it now (the point at which it's supposed to get gud) so here are my initial thoughts:

First off, the above is isn't true ; as Syph says, the tutorial level should only take up to 2hrs or less to complete, then you're out into the world. Sort of. There's another 'starter zone' to contend with but it's a large explorable map area where you're free to roam and hoover up side quests, which have to be said are more involving than the ones you find in the first game.

I don't think I've played another game since Morrowind that has a stronger sense of 'self'. From the other-worldly architecture to the gloriously attired NPC's, it's a delight to be back here. Facial tech and NPC voicework got unfairly pilloried in the first game; here the bar has been raised again with talkie cutscenes that even Chalice could sit through.

Combat, much like the metal beasts you face, is a curious affair. You can be sneaking through the long grass, happily chalking up one stealth kill after another, your mechanical prey falling all too easy. Then you pick a fight out in the open for a bit of a variety and things can get rather tasty, rather quickly. It helps that even the lowly robotic reindeer can now pack quite a punch. Indeed, a flailing kick from one of their shiny metal hoofs and your dead. Mind you, I am playing on hard.

But this is where the game begins to malfunction a bit. There is no penalty to dying. Thanks to frequent autosaves, you never lose more than a few baubles you've just collected. And boy, does it like to throw those at you! Behind every tree there is a treasure chest stuffed with goodies. Even if you've foolishly picked a fight with a gang of robo-raptors and bitten off more than you can chew, you needn't worry - there is a field just over yonder crammed full of magic berries that will heal even the most grievous of wounds.

You may be in The Land of the Robot Dinosaurs, but you need not be afraid.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah just done the intro and it didn’t take that long. I didn’t expect to be back in old lands at the start tbh especially how the last game ended but it all makes sense inline with the story.

I was one of the people who complained about the facial animation tech but appreciated that it was based on the limitations of the tech. No complaints here. It is spot on. I’d actually the say the supporting characters face animation is slightly better than Aloy’s.

This feels like much of the same but, even in the early stages, I’ve found myself taking a slightly different approach to combat. In the first game I hardly bothered with the caster but here I’ve used it a lot already and can see how I would continue to build it into my fighting style.

Agree on the sense of place. It’s a wonderfully realised world and it all makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony try to make this into a TV show or movie and it could work.

Also the detail in the graphics (only seen performance mode) is stunning. In Meridian the close up of the old machine shows the craft that goes into the machines.

I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy this as much as the last game, play the inevitable DLC and wait for the inevitable third game. Good stuff.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    I've started (for the second time) to play Dawn.  I'm about 4 hours in and while I really do want to fall head over heels into the game, there's just something which isn't clicking yet.

I'm going to give it a few more hours to see if it does start to jell.  I really hope it does as, graphically at least, Forbidden West looks amazing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was like that. Played it twice, didn’t click, had what I felt was better stuff to play, but then came back because it was sitting there. I think what makes it fun is making the combat style what you want it to be based on the weapons and perks you choose. Those options grow as you level up and makes for a better game.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I was like that. Played it twice, didn’t click, had what I felt was better stuff to play, but then came back because it was sitting there. I think what makes it fun is making the combat style what you want it to be based on the weapons and perks you choose. Those options grow as you level up and makes for a better game.

This is what made it for me. The fact I could sneak around, set up traps at the bandit camps and then set the whole think off and watch people get decimated without lifting a finger was really interesting. There was only the dome tests which seemed to be a mistake on that as they were direct combat things and could be a real struggle.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The story o this has gone so deep Sci-fi, I'm loving it and where its going and it's so intriguing.

• Just had a meeting with an old friend...
    Spoiler:

I really do hope the main story sticks to hunting down rogue AI - I'm finding that a more inviting prospect than dabbling in tribal politics.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m taking it slow and doing all the side quests. Something I didn’t bother with in the first game. I just watched DF vid where they talked about how good the input latency was in the resolution mode so thought I’d try it out… only to find I’ve been playing in the mode from the start! Think I’ll stick with the shinies.
  • digi wrote:
    The story o this has gone so deep Sci-fi, I'm loving it and where its going and it's so intriguing.

This world is so, so much better than they managed with the first.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    digi wrote:
    The story o this has gone so deep Sci-fi, I'm loving it and where its going and it's so intriguing.

This world is so, so much better than they managed with the first.

Aye I'm loving just exploring and seeing where I can go and how high etc.
    Blocks100 wrote:

I really do hope the main story sticks to hunting down rogue AI - I'm finding that a more inviting prospect than dabbling in tribal politics.

I think you'll be pleased.
  • I've played the first few hours of this now and unlocked the
    Spoiler:
    and I have to say it's absolutely gorgeous. The level of detail that's gone into the side characters and their lip syncing is incredible. We're talking not far off naughty dog levels here it's astonishing, for side characters!

One thing that's ruined almost all open worlds for me is the feeling of side characters being just mission givers with ropey lip sync and dodgy animations. This, for the first time seems to have made strides forward. GTA/ RDR side characters are not even close to this.

Stunning to look at, wonderfull colourful world full of imagination and a special level of detail into the lip syncing has me looking forward to playing more.

Oh and the robot dinosaurs are a joy too. Not only to look at in awe but to pick their weak spots and to take them down. It's very satisfying.
  • I've started (for the second time) to play Dawn.  I'm about 4 hours in and while I really do want to fall head over heels into the game, there's just something which isn't clicking yet. I'm going to give it a few more hours to see if it does start to jell.  I really hope it does as, graphically at least, Forbidden West looks amazing.
    I was the exact same. I got a bit further into the game, about 12-15 hours but I fell off of it. Never finished it. 
    I dont have time to replay so I watched a spoiler catch up video.

Forbidden West looks incredible on ps5 resolution mode. There are some proper impressive scenes so far. Its like a playable cutscene in parts.
    But I think this suffers the same issue for me as Zero Dawn. There is something that isnt clicking.

Also so far Alloy is a bit of an arsehole. She really isnt likeable. And the voice acting for her....isnt my cup of tea so far. She is very serious, speaking in hushed, breathy tones.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I've started (for the second time) to play Dawn.  I'm about 4 hours in and while I really do want to fall head over heels into the game, there's just something which isn't clicking yet. I'm going to give it a few more hours to see if it does start to jell.  I really hope it does as, graphically at least, Forbidden West looks amazing.
    I was the exact same. I got a bit further into the game, about 12-15 hours but I fell off of it. Never finished it. 
    I dont have time to replay so I watched a spoiler catch up video.

Forbidden West looks incredible on ps5 resolution mode. There are some proper impressive scenes so far. Its like a playable cutscene in parts.
    But I think this suffers the same issue for me as Zero Dawn. There is something that isnt clicking.

Also so far Alloy is a bit of an arsehole. She really isnt likeable. And the voice acting for her....isnt my cup of tea so far. She is very serious, speaking in hushed, breathy tones.

I did the same as you for HZD and I get where your coming from with Alloy, maybe I'd feel different if I'd stick with HZD through till the end, I dunno.

I thought the whole embassy thing was fantastic
    Spoiler:

The humans lost my interest in the first, so far they're a real highlight.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    w1p5krdjhmj81.jpg

Just saw this on Reddit. Incredible
  • Cultural appropriation of the highest order!

Oh fuck off Eurogamer.
  • Is that 'in game graphics' then?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!