Horizon: Forbidden West
  • God I hope this is successful enough for a third as it’s just fantastic.
  • It’s done good numbers
  • But not getting a lot of love from around here... I wonder why that is?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Sample size and demograph of the forum? Or are you alluding to something more sinister like a distain for cultural appropriation / ginger female leads?

I for one have never played a horizon game but wouldn't rule it out. My gaming time is massively limited so tend to focus on quick fix racing/ fighting /arcade gaming which this obviously isn't.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    But not getting a lot of love from around here... I wonder why that is?

Elden Ring just pisses on it from the greatest of heights. What's the point in playing other open world games when that's available?
  • But this has Robot Dinosaurs in it and Elden Ring doesn't so HFW wins on that score.

@Eric. there are racing side missions in this.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Elden Ring probably does have robot dinosaurs tbh.
  • Blocks100 wrote:

Given the timing of its release and the tastes of people in this little corner of the internet I'm not surprised. Most in here only had Eldon Ring on their minds for a long time and it's a huge game too. It's certainly not a quality issue.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:

Given the timing of its release and the tastes of people in this little corner of the internet I'm not surprised. Most in here only had Eldon Ring on their minds for a long time and it's a huge game too. It's certainly not a quality issue.

Because its excellent and some people have no taste?
    ;)
  • Blocks100 wrote:

Elden Ring just pisses on it from the greatest of heights. What's the point in playing other open world games when that's available?

As someone who’s played both, it isn’t from a great height at all. They’re doing different things entirely and they’re both very very good at doing them.

I’ve sung its praises and Vere is doing the same. It’s a really good game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've not played Forbidden West, had no urge. More of the same except this time the main character has a fat face. 0% interest
  • That’s fair enough, Paul. It’s not going to be for everyone.
  • I've not played Forbidden West, had no urge. More of the same except this time the main character has a fat face. 0% interest

Lol 2nd best review I've ever heard only behind Chalices take on Disco Elysium.
  • I don't know how he does this with a straight face.........

Around the 4 minute mark absolute gold iirc.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Guy’s a cunt. Pretty sure he’s the one doing the don’t by a Steam Deck despite not having one.

Anyway I really enjoy the first few hours I played this but it was badly timed with Elden Ring. I will be back to finish it either when I finish ER or eventually hit a wall.
  • I actually got to play a bit of this at the weekend. Im very early on still in the "tutorial area". Bloody massive it is. Its a great game. I don't like Aloy though. In looks and personality. Its great but Im not super pumped about it.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Did you play the first? I don't mind the personality kinks in Aloy. I kinda appreciate the wearisome 'can't be arsed' huff's she occasionally gives NPC's. After the first game, she's got the weight of the world on her shoulders and knows she is the only one who can save the planet from impending ecological Armageddon. What? you want me to go find your missing Shaman? Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Did you play the first? I don't mind the personality kinks in Aloy. I kinda appreciate the wearisome 'can't be arsed' huff's she occasionally gives NPC's. After the first game, she's got the weight of the world on her shoulders and knows she is the only one who can save the planet from impending ecological Armageddon. What? you want me to go find your missing Shaman? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    I played...I dont know how much of the first game. I did look up the story spoilers, so Im guessing I didn't play far into the story, but I put HOURS into the game. Interesting take on her personality, that sounds good but the impression I get from her in game is she is a bit of an arse rather than she is weary with the fetch quests. But yeah maybe Ive not played enough of the first.

Looks wise, she is very similar looking to a kid that hung around with my kid. As in that kid when she grows up would look similar to Aloy in game. And that kid was an absolute bellend (long story short she was a bully and a liar). So Aloy reminds me of her.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Did you play the first? I don't mind the personality kinks in Aloy. I kinda appreciate the wearisome 'can't be arsed' huff's she occasionally gives NPC's. After the first game, she's got the weight of the world on her shoulders and knows she is the only one who can save the planet from impending ecological Armageddon. What? you want me to go find your missing Shaman? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Yeah, I sort of put it down to that as well, like imagine knowing what she knows then having to talk to the village idiot about a god that you know to be a mobile phone or something. It's sort of understandable she's abit of a dick. Maybe she'll mature in a sequal and have more empathy or whatever but for now I'm fine with it.

Yeah Boris bad timing is all. I too expect to get through both this and Eldon Ring over the next few weeks. I'm still not sold on Eldon Ring being the saviour of all games all though I am now looking forward to getting stuck into it, something I realy couldn't say a week ago.

• I pretty much hated Aloy in the first game, but Cupa’s take there sums it up - she’s had 20+ years of knowing more than most of the primitive populous and she’s got a world to save; so the slightly curt/sarcastic personality makes sense.

I also liked how they used it to subvert a few sections too, when a main NPC is saying you can’t do something, and you expect a fetch quest to win them over, but Aloy just does it anyway.

I grew to really like the character this time, and can see this IP going the same way as Uncharted with a film.
  • Yeah, but good.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Uncharted did well sales wise. Did we get an @acemuzzy review?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah not yet, cos I ended up having to step aside for a mate cos covid hit the fam (after I'd booked the tickets :-()

But they reported "It's ok. Just lacks excitement I think" which is pretty glowing praise for an action movie.

And they also said thank you again for the code - I owe you beer!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ah not yet, cos I ended up having to step aside for a mate cos covid hit the fam (after I'd booked the tickets :-() But they reported "It's ok. Just lacks excitement I think" which is pretty glowing praise for an action movie. And they also said thank you again for the code - I owe you beer!
    I think the swapping of cinema tickets for beer was the best outcome. Covid aside get well soon etc.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh dear Muzzy. Hope you and the fam are on the mend.

And yep think I got the best end of the deal.
  • Im a bit miffed, but only slightly with Horizon so far.

Ill spoiler this just in case. But its super early on.
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Ah not yet, cos I ended up having to step aside for a mate cos covid hit the fam (after I'd booked the tickets :-()

But they reported "It's ok. Just lacks excitement I think" which is pretty glowing praise for an action movie.

And they also said thank you again for the code - I owe you beer!

Pretty sure I have a code to the movie tucked away in an email somewhere. You're more than welcome to it muzzy or anyone else for that matter. I won't use it so I'd rather someone have it than it go to waste.
  • It's only just properly dawned on me, after 46 hours of play, that in order to craft the best arrows, you really have to to hunt the the 'prey' animals (the robot antelopes etc) to farm their robot muscle - that's the key crafting components for precision arrows.

The game doesn't tell you this. You can kill as many 'predator' robots as you like - doesn't give you much in the way of craftable resources for your quiver.

When the realisation of this fact suddenly clicks, and you're out stalking the 'prey' robots to keep you well stocked for when you have to face the predators - you really have to marvel at this beautifully-balanced robot ecosystem that Guerilla have crafted.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!