Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Yeah, I like how improvisational the combat can be. Staying mobile, thinking on your feet, switching weapons. Strongest element of the game, imo - boss fights aside.
  • When you’ve shot off the weak points and still have to carry on shooting a number of arrows, even the matched elemental ones it’s tiring. The melee combat is much worse without a lock on or parry, it’s just so…bland.
  • Is it possible it's got tiresome because you haven't been using traps etc to take chunks of health off?

Shooting the cannons off and disabling some of their attacks so you can turn the tide on them has been what I've enjoyed most combat wise.

It's the sort of game i would happily watch better people play, I'm sure there's some crazy plays on YouTube.
  • @Verecocha Are using the special attacks from your stamina pool and the uber powerful valor surge abilities? Because stuff like Braced Shot combined with Powershots will make short work of medium sized machines.

Agree with you the about the melee combat though. That's one element that this sequel fails to improve on. The critical strike ability you can pull off after you knockdown a machine is a satisfying execution move however.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Verecocha wrote:
    When you’ve shot off the weak points and still have to carry on shooting a number of arrows, even the matched elemental ones it’s tiring. The melee combat is much worse without a lock on or parry, it’s just so…bland.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from there. Some enemies can be spongey post-weak point breakage, though i'd echo the above that special attacks / valor surges go some way to alleviating that pain. Feels good when you absolutely boss a group of dangerous enemies.

100% agree on melee though - dull and, really not good.
  • Well after a staggering 84 hours, I finally got to see the end credits roll. Everything you'd want from a sequel really - bigger, bolder and bucket loads of robbo-dinosaurs! Amazingly, I've still got chunks of the map left to explore and a whole host of side-quests still untouched. Can't wait for the DLC, once its announced!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Wow 84 hours!

I've just done the poseidon kernel bit. This game is eye meltingly beautiful.
  • About an hour in - has it gone all uncharted on me? I’ve got a buddy chatting shit and so far no open world just like a level ??
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It'll open up soon. I've gone back to it recently and it definitely gets better with time. I've even spent more time doing side quests and crafting stuff. Aloy is not the best character ever created but the world and the machines make up for it.
  • The chatting will continue though. Even when alone. Always talking.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    She's quietened down now, after the patch. Only one mention of her stash last night.
  • Oh, that’s good to know.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Having said that there a comedy moments when she spots something in the distance comments on it just as you've interacted with an NPC and both convos are going on at once.
  • Coming to ps+
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    She's quietened down now, after the patch. Only one mention of her stash last night.

phwoar
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Coming to ps+

I really need to stop buying PlayStation games now too.
  • Now I've actually *Spoiler Alert* gotten to the Forbidden West I'm really starting to enjoy it.

The attention to detail world building and the amazing graphics really give it a strong sense of place. I like the main character and the gameplay is so solid..the climbing movement and combat are all really strong.

It does a much better job than the first game of introducing it's core concepts.

It also helps for me that the marker for where you need to go is never more than a few feet away.

Brilliant so far.
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I unlocked a tall neck last night and the number of icons that appeared on the map was daunting! I know I don't have to visit them all but the size of it can be off-putting.

There appears to be far more variety in how tall necks are unlocked now though, last nights was good fun involving trying to unlock it while being attacked by a load of machines trying to protect it.
  • Bob wrote:

The attention to detail world building and the amazing graphics really give it a strong sense of place. I like the main character and the gameplay is so solid..the climbing movement and combat are all really strong.

Brilliant so far.

I'm not a big Aloy fan but everything else you said is the reason I like it. I dont think I've seen a more beautiful world and it all feels so well thought out and cohesive. The tribes looks, ways of life and their lands are all great to discover. Plain Song in particular is just a lovely place to be.

Theres moments when the power switched on in a certain area and I won't spoil it but its one of the best sights I've seen in any game world. Truly wonderful to behold.

Shame to much chatter from aloy kinda spoils it a little.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep the world and the story/background (the historic stuff is really well realised) is what makes the game, Aloy is not a great character at all. I mean, there could be logical reasons as to why she is like she is...
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Yep the world and the story/background (the historic stuff is really well realised) is what makes the game, Aloy is not a great character at all. I mean, there could be logical reasons as to why she is like she is...
    Spoiler:

Ah after that under water bit
    Spoiler:

I need to get back to this but I'm at a bit where there's gonna be a fair bit of talking and plot exposition (if thats the right term) and I needed a break from all that talking. Less talking, less hand holding would've improved this no end.

The first hour or so doesn't help it chances either.
  • I didn't like it at first but it does a much better job being a linear level than just dumping you into the open world. It seems quite common now. Dying Light 2 did pretty much the same thing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Cupatay - yep that bit in your spoiler was good, especially as I've been and also got to
    Spoiler:
  • I'm kind of conflicted on this now. I read one of those 'things you should know before you start guide' and it recommended rinsing the first area before moving on.. but there's so much stuff to do.. It's a very varied first area mind.

I'm loving the climbing, world building and how pretty it is but fuck me the combat sucks. I hate bow and arrows anyway and you're normally aiming for some small tank thing.. and the melee combat is fucking annoying as often I'll loose track of whatever is attacking me and then some other dino will start shooting and fuck me it's a bit of a mess. They seem to know this too as every area that's likely to have combat it absolutely littered with health plants.

Still not really sucking me in to the point where I want to play all the time either.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I started this a few weeks ago now that it's on PS plus (and in the hope that the VR spin off would make more sense).  

I agree the combat's a bit tedious, although it's improved a little now that there are a few more toys I can play with. (Switching between the different things at my disposal, rather than just bow and arrow and melee, makes it much more interesting.) None the less, I'm mostly using stealth where possible to avoid having to faff about with actual combat.

Now that it's opened up I'm also hitting the traditional Ubi-Bloat problem of too many question marks, not enough time - but it is at least generally pretty clear what each thing is going to be and so I'm skipping anything that I find too tedious. (Like the vistas...) 

Like many I'm also finding Aloy's constant chatter to herself incredibly distracting and irritating.

But...  I'm enjoying it regardless. I fear it will ultimately end up the same way as the first game (played for a long time, but ultimately got bored before I finished it) but for now at least the appeal of a very beautiful game and, let's face it, robo-dinosaurs, is enough to keep me going.
  • I remember thinking the side quests were a considerable step-up from the original's. That's what kept me going. Even the MQ was fairly engaging too.
  • There’s a lot of stuff to do and it’s not ubi Bloat so far it’s all good stuff.

Dropped the difficulty down though as I was ending up replaying each combat encounter too many times and the checkpoints suck
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’ve gotten into it enough that I’m having fun exploring the map. Got my first Metroid style upgrade that’s let me go back and open
    Up
    New stuff

Plus she said something genuinely useful the other day. Plus I’ve got a better outfit and I got my first long neck
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The tallneck takedowns in this are very well done. I’ve done three and all three had a different approach. Really nice touch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!